new game, personality penalty?

Last response: in Video Games
June 14, 2004 1:31:02 PM

Hello all, I recently purchased Bloodmoon and Tribunal and decided to give
Morrowind another go. I first tried it right when it came out but I don't
think it liked my system and I quickly got tired of contast crashes and
freezes so I uninstalled it.

Anyway, it runs a lot better now and I got the expansions, grabbed some mods
(and many thanks to the people on this forum for recommending so many good
ones!), and jumped back in. I made a custom character, Dunmer with a mix of
magic and melee and no annoying morals or scruples to get in his way. In
Seyda Neen, I gave the wood elf his ring back, got hired by the local thugs
to steal it from him, which I did, but never returned to the money to them.
I found the mage with the amazing acrobatics spell and a dearth of common
sense, and freed the slaves in the cavern near the silt strider. I came
across a corpse in the woods, stripped it and found a tax record with some
conspicuous charges on it. Questioning the townsfolk led me to the taxman's
killer, who forced me to dispatch him. I returned the tax code and news of
the events to the tax office, and was rewarded for my efforts. I sold the
taxman's ring and pocketed both the tax money and the reward.

Having done the above, I decided to strike out for Balmora and find this
Caius, who apparently is under the impression that I work for him. So I made
my way to the silt strider and saved the game for the night. When I returned
to play the next day, I noticed that I now had a 5 point penalty to my
personality score. There aren't any spell effects on me and I took off all
my clothing and weapons to no effect. I don't think I've taken any herbs or
done anything to cause this effect. I foolishly forgot to make a separate
save so early in the game, so I can't restore to an earlier time to find out
what happened.

Does anyone know how this happened and what I can do to correct it? I'm
having a lot of fun with this character and I'm really curious to learn the
story behind this mysterious penalty that he seems to have no control over.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:35:17 PM

Holden wrote:

*snip*

> When I returned
> to play the next day, I noticed that I now had a 5 point penalty to my
> personality score. There aren't any spell effects on me and I took off all
> my clothing and weapons to no effect. I don't think I've taken any herbs or
> done anything to cause this effect. I foolishly forgot to make a separate
> save so early in the game, so I can't restore to an earlier time to find out
> what happened.
>
> Does anyone know how this happened and what I can do to correct it? I'm
> having a lot of fun with this character and I'm really curious to learn the
> story behind this mysterious penalty that he seems to have no control over.

dont know where you might have gotten that penalty, but try a restore
personaluty potion. should be easy to find since it's a common potion.

-M
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:35:18 PM

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:35:17 +0300, Miika Turtiainen
<miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> wrote:

> dont know where you might have gotten that penalty, but try a restore
> personaluty potion. should be easy to find since it's a common potion.
>
> -M

Another way is to visit an Imperial Shrine (There is one in
Fort Moonmoth, for example) and receive a "restore attributes" blessing
at the altar.
June 14, 2004 11:35:19 PM

Bjoern Liffers wrote:
> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 19:35:17 +0300, Miika Turtiainen
> <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> wrote:
>

>> dont know where you might have gotten that penalty, but try a restore
>> personaluty potion. should be easy to find since it's a common
>> potion.
>>
>> -M
>

> Another way is to visit an Imperial Shrine (There is one in
> Fort Moonmoth, for example) and receive a "restore attributes"
> blessing at the altar.

Thank you both for your replies. I still haven't been playing for long so
I'm not familiar with all of the game mechanics yet; I'll try either getting
my hands on a restore potion or heading to Fort Moonmoth for a cure.

It's much appreciated!
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:35:20 PM

You might also be diseased (and need a cure). Look for a little red
icon in the lower right part of the screen. The red icons mean
something debilitating.
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:35:21 PM

"DeAnn" <von.sagrillo@verizon.net> wrote in message
> You might also be diseased (and need a cure). Look for a little red
> icon in the lower right part of the screen. The red icons mean
> something debilitating.

Finally, if you determine that the attribute's value isn't displayed in red,
and no disease or other legitimate penalty is being applied that could be
fixed through the game, you can use a console command to set the attribute
back to the correct value.
June 15, 2004 7:54:26 AM

"Miika Turtiainen" <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> skrev i en meddelelse
> Holden wrote:
>
> *snip*
>
> > When I returned
> > to play the next day, I noticed that I now had a 5 point penalty to my
> > personality score. There aren't any spell effects on me and I took off
all
> > my clothing and weapons to no effect. I don't think I've taken any herbs
or
> > done anything to cause this effect. I foolishly forgot to make a
separate
> > save so early in the game, so I can't restore to an earlier time to find
out
> > what happened.
> >
> > Does anyone know how this happened and what I can do to correct it? I'm
> > having a lot of fun with this character and I'm really curious to learn
the
> > story behind this mysterious penalty that he seems to have no control
over.

> dont know where you might have gotten that penalty, but try a restore
> personaluty potion. should be easy to find since it's a common potion.
>
> -M

The tax-money and selling the ring is what caused it.
One thing is to steal from the locals (fargoth's ring)
another is to steal from the emperor (tax-money)

and selling ring was stealing from the lady in
the lighthouse, especially if she told you of it
before

by the way did you kill the murderer as well?
The way you play it, he should be your friend?

merlin
June 15, 2004 11:30:33 PM

von.sagrillo@verizon.net (DeAnn) wrote in news:e7387fa.0406141340.2e5fbd44
@posting.google.com:

> You might also be diseased (and need a cure). Look for a little red
> icon in the lower right part of the screen. The red icons mean
> something debilitating.

On the subject of disease, I caught Porphyric Hemophilia recently, which
has a blue icon and gives me 1pt Restore Fatigue. Most people (not all)
shunned me and told me to get cured, which I did. I suspect I caught it
from a vampire which attacked me in Caldera. Do vampires transmit benign
diseases?

Grumpy.
Anonymous
June 15, 2004 11:48:11 PM

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:30:33 +0000 (UTC), Grumpy
<grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On the subject of disease, I caught Porphyric Hemophilia recently, which
>has a blue icon and gives me 1pt Restore Fatigue. Most people (not all)
>shunned me and told me to get cured, which I did. I suspect I caught it
>from a vampire which attacked me in Caldera. Do vampires transmit benign
>diseases?

That particular disease is not benign. If you had not cured it in
time, you would have become a vampire yourself. I don't know about
vammpires transmitting diseases other then vampirism itself in
Morrowind. I remember that they transmitted the Plague in Daggerfall.

Nyctolops
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 12:26:31 AM

Grumpy <grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote:

>von.sagrillo@verizon.net (DeAnn) wrote in news:e7387fa.0406141340.2e5fbd44
>@posting.google.com:
>
>> You might also be diseased (and need a cure). Look for a little red
>> icon in the lower right part of the screen. The red icons mean
>> something debilitating.
>>

>On the subject of disease, I caught Porphyric Hemophilia recently, which
>has a blue icon and gives me 1pt Restore Fatigue. Most people (not all)
>shunned me and told me to get cured, which I did. I suspect I caught it
>from a vampire which attacked me in Caldera. Do vampires transmit benign
>diseases?

What you caught was the precursor to vampirism. Left untreated,
you would have become a vampire on the third day.
June 16, 2004 1:02:01 AM

":p hant" <phant@usagi.comix> wrote in

>>On the subject of disease, I caught Porphyric Hemophilia recently,
>>which has a blue icon and gives me 1pt Restore Fatigue. Most people
>>(not all) shunned me and told me to get cured, which I did. I suspect
>>I caught it from a vampire which attacked me in Caldera. Do vampires
>>transmit benign diseases?
>>

> What you caught was the precursor to vampirism. Left untreated,
> you would have become a vampire on the third day.

Ohhh, so that's how it works. I think I'll load up the old save and have a
little play. Thanks.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 11:50:56 AM

Merlin wrote:
> "Miika Turtiainen" <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>> Holden wrote:
>>
>> *snip*
>>
>>> When I returned
>>> to play the next day, I noticed that I now had a 5 point penalty to
>>> my personality score. There aren't any spell effects on me and I
>>> took off all my clothing and weapons to no effect. I don't think
>>> I've taken any herbs or done anything to cause this effect. I
>>> foolishly forgot to make a separate save so early in the game, so I
>>> can't restore to an earlier time to find out what happened.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how this happened and what I can do to correct it?
>>> I'm having a lot of fun with this character and I'm really curious
>>> to learn the story behind this mysterious penalty that he seems to
>>> have no control over.
>>>

>> dont know where you might have gotten that penalty, but try a restore
>> personaluty potion. should be easy to find since it's a common
>> potion.
>>
>> -M
>
> The tax-money and selling the ring is what caused it.
> One thing is to steal from the locals (fargoth's ring)
> another is to steal from the emperor (tax-money)
>
> and selling ring was stealing from the lady in
> the lighthouse, especially if she told you of it
> before
>
> by the way did you kill the murderer as well?
> The way you play it, he should be your friend?
>
> merlin

Ok, it must have been either because I sold the taxman's ring or because I
killed his murderer. I tried to give the tax money back and was surprised to
see that the man in the tax office didn't take it; instead he thanked me and
gave me a 200 gold reward. I spoke briefly with the lady in the lighthouse
and she mentioned that the taxman was missing but I don't beleive she ever
mentioned any connection between them.

I'll go back through my journal and see if it offers any hints and maybe try
to buy back the ring and give to her just to see if it's possible.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 8:26:14 PM

Holden wrote:
> Merlin wrote:
>
>>"Miika Turtiainen" <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> skrev i en meddelelse
>>
>>>Holden wrote:
>>>
>>>*snip*

>>>dont know where you might have gotten that penalty, but try a restore
>>>personaluty potion. should be easy to find since it's a common
>>>potion.
>>>
>>>-M
>>
>>The tax-money and selling the ring is what caused it.
>>One thing is to steal from the locals (fargoth's ring)
>>another is to steal from the emperor (tax-money)
>>
>>and selling ring was stealing from the lady in
>>the lighthouse, especially if she told you of it
>>before
>>
>>by the way did you kill the murderer as well?
>>The way you play it, he should be your friend?
>>
>>merlin
>

> Ok, it must have been either because I sold the taxman's ring or because I
> killed his murderer. I tried to give the tax money back and was surprised to
> see that the man in the tax office didn't take it; instead he thanked me and
> gave me a 200 gold reward. I spoke briefly with the lady in the lighthouse
> and she mentioned that the taxman was missing but I don't beleive she ever
> mentioned any connection between them.
>
> I'll go back through my journal and see if it offers any hints and maybe try
> to buy back the ring and give to her just to see if it's possible.

hmmm. I'll give you the "proper" way of taking the quest:

Find corpse and take items. talk to guard or go staight to
[the-old-geezer]. talk to him about the murder and either give him the
money or dont. (I have always given it) He will offer a reward for
killing the killer. (if I recall correctly the reward is actually higher
than the tax money, 500gp maybe?). go talk to people about the murder to
gather evidence. you should be pointed at the woman at the lighthouse
and the killer too. talk to the woman about the murder and he will way
"Processu's ring". go confront the killer now. either kill or dont.
(I've always killed). the ring goes to the woman who will give you a few
restore health potions. then report to [the-old-geezer] and collect fee.

if someone could tell me what actually happens if you go the "evil" way
around I'd be interested.

-M
Anonymous
June 17, 2004 11:43:32 AM

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 19:30:33 +0000 (UTC), Grumpy
<grumpy@mailinator.com> wrote:

>On the subject of disease, I caught Porphyric Hemophilia recently, which
>has a blue icon and gives me 1pt Restore Fatigue. Most people (not all)
>shunned me and told me to get cured, which I did. I suspect I caught it
>from a vampire which attacked me in Caldera. Do vampires transmit benign
>diseases?

LOL ... you ARE kidding right?

I suggest you rest for three days (preferably in an ancestral tomb)
and report back...
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 6:44:15 PM

> Holden wrote:
> > Merlin wrote:
> >
> >>"Miika Turtiainen" <miika.turtiainen@kymp.net> skrev i en meddelelse

> >>The tax-money and selling the ring is what caused it.
> >>One thing is to steal from the locals (fargoth's ring)
> >>another is to steal from the emperor (tax-money)
> >>
> >>and selling ring was stealing from the lady in
> >>the lighthouse, especially if she told you of it
> >>before
> >>
> >>by the way did you kill the murderer as well?
> >>The way you play it, he should be your friend?
> >>
> >>merlin
> >

> > Ok, it must have been either because I sold the taxman's ring or
because I
> > killed his murderer. I tried to give the tax money back and was
surprised to
> > see that the man in the tax office didn't take it; instead he thanked
me and
> > gave me a 200 gold reward. I spoke briefly with the lady in the
lighthouse
> > and she mentioned that the taxman was missing but I don't beleive she
ever
> > mentioned any connection between them.
> >
> > I'll go back through my journal and see if it offers any hints and
maybe try
> > to buy back the ring and give to her just to see if it's possible.
> >

> hmmm. I'll give you the "proper" way of taking the quest:
>
> Find corpse and take items. talk to guard or go staight to
> [the-old-geezer]. talk to him about the murder and either give him the
> money or dont. (I have always given it) He will offer a reward for
> killing the killer. (if I recall correctly the reward is actually higher
> than the tax money, 500gp maybe?). go talk to people about the murder to
> gather evidence. you should be pointed at the woman at the lighthouse
> and the killer too. talk to the woman about the murder and he will way
> "Processu's ring". go confront the killer now. either kill or dont.
> (I've always killed). the ring goes to the woman who will give you a few
> restore health potions. then report to [the-old-geezer] and collect
fee.

> if someone could tell me what actually happens if you go the "evil" way
> around I'd be interested.
>
> -M

The evil way? just keep the tax money? Apart from
the potions and the reward, this is about reputation
(yours) and not much else. If you keep the money,
and don't mention the murder, nothing will happen,
as it is the mentioning that triggers the old mans
actions and nobody else will comment on your
'evilness' but you will have missed a chance or
increasing your rep.

merlin
!