Help me find the problem please!

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
I just ordered all the parts for my new system and got it all built without much going wrong, however when I turned on the power I found something indeed was. The system powered up, fans were spinning, onboard LED and case LED was on, but there was no output on the monitor at all, it didn't even get the monitor out of sleep mode.

After about 2 seconds I heard a 3 beep code, 1 long and 2 short. So I knew right away there was a defective part, but I had no way of knowing what it was (unless someone out there is a master of beep codes and has them all memorized).

Anyway I went about emailing different tech supports and following all their advice, here's a rundown of everything I've tried:

- put the motherboard in the cardboard box it came in, hooked up power, cpu, vid card, ram and powered up to test for a short: same result
- removed all extra drives (floppy, harddrive, optical drives) and powered up, same result
- removed the video card and powered up with just the cpu and ram, same result
- removed everything, powered up with ONLY motherboard and power supply, (this was supposed to force some other kind of beep code, however the result was no beeps at all, I informed the mobo tech suport and they just said that's normal)
- swapped the ram around to every single different combination, same result
- removed onboard battery, changed the jumper for the cmos to reset it, replaced battery, same result

...god what else...well it doesn't really matter considering I've tried pretty much everything there possibly is to try and I ALWAYS get the 3 beeps. I have a new video card on the way since evga is sure that's the problem, but ASUS feels it could be the ram, so I sent out another email today to g.skill about if the timing on the ram chips are compatible with the bios, and if not how to hard code the timings to something that will work.

Since I have to wait on the video card to get to me I figured I'd tap into the wealth of knowledge here.

I would like to point out that I'm new to the area I live in and do not know anyone with whom I can swap parts with, so any advice about try someone else's (insert part here) just isn't gonna happen, sadly.

Here's my system:
Lian-li PC-60BPLUS W
ASUS M2N-SLI Deluxe 570
AMD AM2 3200+ CPU
G.Skill DDR2 PC6400 2x1GB RAM
eVGA GeForce 7900GT KO 256MB video card
Antec 500W Smartpower 2.0 PSU
WD 250GB SATA2 HDD
Samsung DVD burner
Samsung combo drive
Sony floppy drive

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Sounds like either the RAM or CPU is bad or incompatible, you may have found the problem with the memory timing. In my experience if the CPU is bad nothing happens at all so I would guess the RAM. If the timing are not the problem then I would say the RAM is bad. Just my $.02. Good luck.

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
Hmm you're probably right. I know the AM2 boards are having some compatibility problems with the DDR2 ram.

I just with I knew a way to change the timings without being able to actually get to the bios hehe.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Hmm you're probably right. I know the AM2 boards are having some compatibility problems with the DDR2 ram.

I just with I knew a way to change the timings without being able to actually get to the bios hehe.

I don't think it's the boards having the problems, I think its the RAM companies putting out RAM with off timings like 3-4-3-15

If it's an Award BIOS, then 1 long 2 short means a video problem. Make sure it's fully seated. Otherwise, sounds like your fix is in the mail.

When he pulled the video card out it gave the same code, the code only went away when he pulled the RAM-CPU, in my experience if the video card is not seated the computer boots just fine, only without video. But then my video cards arent usually whats coming loose (Slot 1 mobos anyone?)

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
If it's an Award BIOS, then 1 long 2 short means a video problem. Make sure it's fully seated. Otherwise, sounds like your fix is in the mail.

That's exactly what eVGA and ASUS said, so I'm reeeaaally hoping the new card will fix the problem.

When he pulled the video card out it gave the same code, the code only went away when he pulled the RAM-CPU, in my experience if the video card is not seated the computer boots just fine, only without video. But then my video cards arent usually whats coming loose (Slot 1 mobos anyone?)

Yeah I thought it odd that with no video card at all it gave the same code, unless the card was absolutely dead which I've never heard of that happening to someone. Usually the card has faulty ram or something but never just flat out didn't work.

And it was also odd that with no CPU it gave no beep code...

OH which reminds me of something. When I pulled the CPU and had only the motherboard and PSU hooked up, the system shut itself off after about 10 seconds. Not sure if that's important or not, I mentioned that to the guys at ASUS also but they disregarded it.

Thanks again guys, I hope I can get this resolved.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I used to have a PIII 733 that would come a little out of its slot whenever I went to a LAN party, it never gave any codes just spun the fans up and sat there.

Don't know about shutting itself off, my PIII never did that, it would sit there for about 5 minutes just mocking me before I remembered what the problem was.

Good luck.

You didn't mention what kind of monitor your have. If the beep code signifies video card you have a bad or damaged video card or it's possible you damaged some part of the motherboard puttting it in? It can happen.

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
I have a viewsonic VA1912wb monitor, it works fine I have it hooked up to the laptop I'm using to access the internet right now.

My bios is made by Award, I checked their website and it said the 1 long 2 short beep code signifies "Either video adapter is bad or is not seated properly. Also, check to ensure the monitor cable is connected properly"

That's taken directly from the site.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/awardbeep.htm

I've taken out and reseated the video card at least 10 times, being very careful not to damage anything in the process. I'm very thankful eVGA has some kick-ass customer support. They may have a lot of problems with their cards but they sure stand by their products.

I'm still a little weary that this is the problem, you just never know sometimes :)

>>I'm still a little weary that this is the problem, you just never know sometimes <<

Take comfort in knowing you are well on your way to solving the problem. Let us know when you do.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
Just a thought, if youve got a few bucks lying around you might want to hit up a local computer store, pick up some RAM that should be compatible with your system and drop it in. If it works you found the problem and can keep that RAM or return it (make sure you check their policies before you buy), if it doesn't then you can probably rule out the RAM as an issue and move on the the CPU or motherboard, I seriously doubt that the video card is the problem but I can't say for sure that it isnt.

mesarectifier

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2006
Are you sure it wasn't the power connector to the video card/12v to the mainboard?

(Sorry if you've already tried that btw, I only skimmed through this thread)

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
Are you sure it wasn't the power connector to the video card/12v to the mainboard?

Yeah I tried unplugging the 12v (probably not the safest thing to try but eh) and the system powered up for like 2 seconds then shut off.

For the video card I tried the pci-e cord that came with my PSU and the converter that came with the card itself, neither one made any difference.

If this new video card doesn't help then I guess I have to start replacing things part-by-part (sigh). The problem with that is companies usually don't like it when you return items claiming they're faulty when they really aren't. I know eVGA's policy on that is if they get my old card and after testing find out it's working fine then I pay a 15% restocking fee so they can resell it. However I have at least 2 emails from their tech support backing me up and telling me to RMA the card so maybe they won't be able to stick me with that fee (yeah right).

I'll keep this thread updated with any new info I get just in case other people are having this problem. Thanks all.

qwertycopter

Distinguished
May 30, 2006
Well hold on... if the new graphics card doesn't help and you're still getting that beep code, I'd say it's a problem PCI-E controller on the mobo. I dunno.. slot is shorted somewhere? Maybe that's why it beeps even with no graphic card installed.

Mondoman

Splendid
There might also be a small piece of wire or something in a connector slot, so I'd also give the whole top and bottom of the motherboard (especially inside the slots) a good spray with an air duster

thechristopher

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2006
Those beeps are a bad graphics card. One long and two short

If a new card does not help the board is at fault. Wiggle the card in the slot - one of the pci connectors might be faulty. Do the same with ram.

Pull the card and try onboard video if it has it?

I would returd the board and video card for replacement

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
Just got a small (but important) update.

I contacted G.skill, who is the manufacterer of my ram, and apparently they sent me incompatible ram... The tech guy said that it can be repgrogrammed, but obviously I'll need to RMA it (groan!)

So if anyone out there has an AM2 mobo and is thinking about getting G.Skill ram, you should avoid the HZ stuff. Here's what to look for:

F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ

From what I was told this ram isn't compatible and will need to be reprogrammed. Even though I emailed G.Skill prior to buying this to be sure it would work, apparently they just didn't care...who knows.

That's all for now, I still haven't gotten the new vid card yet. Considering waiting until I get it before sending this ram back just in case it's already been reprogrammed. The tech guys probably wouldn't know if it had or not. On hold with evga right now to find out if this vid card is ever coming or not hehe.

cheers

Edit:
duh, I wanted to ask a question too... too many things going on today heh.
Ok so if the ram is in fact faulty, would it cause this problem? I've had bad ram before and the system would still boot but it would give me an error message. Maybe it depends on the board..I'm not sure.

I contacted G.skill, who is the manufacterer of my ram, and apparently they sent me incompatible ram... The tech guy said that it can be repgrogrammed, but obviously I'll need to RMA it (groan!)

So if anyone out there has an AM2 mobo and is thinking about getting G.Skill ram, you should avoid the HZ stuff. Here's what to look for:

F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ

From what I was told this ram isn't compatible and will need to be reprogrammed. Even though I emailed G.Skill prior to buying this to be sure it would work, apparently they just didn't care...who knows.

That's all for now, I still haven't gotten the new vid card yet. Considering waiting until I get it before sending this ram back just in case it's already been reprogrammed. The tech guys probably wouldn't know if it had or not. On hold with evga right now to find out if this vid card is ever coming or not hehe.

cheers

Edit:
Ok so if the ram is in fact faulty, would it cause this problem? I've had bad ram before and the system would still boot but it would give me an error message. Maybe it depends on the board..I'm not sure.

It's all been a bad dream. Wake up you cell is beeping! LOL! :D

brianb

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2004
Oh please tell me that's true...I'm not even sure I want to process this next bit of information. /sigh

Ok I'm just going to copy/paste two of the emails I got from G.Skill, note these are from the same Rep:

Hi

The new batch of F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ in NewEgg are good for AM2 now. You don't
need to send it back for reprogram. We are going to have a new value ram
DDR2 800 for AM2 platform later this week. Thank you

Denny
GSKILL USA REP

That's the first email I got, which is in response to me asking if the ram will be compatible with my mobo. Then here's the next email:

Hi

What model do you have? F2-6400PHU2-2GBXX? Please let me know the XX. From
that point I can determine it is incompatible or defective.
However, from your email it looks like you have the incompatible memory.

If you using F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ, the SN you wrote which is the first batch of
DDR2 800 2GBHZ and it is not program correctly for AM2 platform. If your
model is the one I descript above. Please let me know

Thank you
Denny
GSKILL USA REP

can someone tell me what the <bleep> is going on? or maybe just shoot me and put me out of this misery. I think a change of career is in order, time for me to be a computer engineer so I can literally build my own computer.

Edit:
I want to note these emails are about 2 weeks apart from each other. Like I said I had emailed them before buying to be sure the stuff would work. It wasn't until just now I went back and looked at the first email and noticed the Rep said the HZ ram would work just fine. I did order the ram from newegg, and it was after that first email, so I can only assume I got some of the "new batch".

I can hear the ringing, but I can't wake up!! Damn this rabbit hole

ecosoft

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
brianb Dude :)
I recently had a similar situation, only with an existing system that runs 24/7. Following a swe update the sucker failed (stalled) during reboot. As I had disconnected the mobo speaker (in a box in the closet) I had no beep codes. I attempted analysing all of the PC failure modes I've had over the past 16 years ... nothing worked ... changed memory, vid card, mobo, etc., etc. just as you have done. Finally, I "remembered" BIOS beep codes and reinstalled the mobo speaker ... three beeps = CPU for Award. Replaced Athlon 2500 CPU w/Semperon 2800 socket A ... runs great.

F2-6400PHU2-2GBHZ

cheers

Edit:

It's all been a bad dream. Wake up you cell is beeping! LOL! :D

>>That's the first email I got, which is in response to me asking if the ram will be compatible with my mobo. Then here's the next email:<<

Good thing the good folks at G. Skill aren't in the pacemaker industry. They should compensate you. You should ask. Probably send you a bunch of free defective RAM to work with.

chrislax20

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2006
I wouldn't count out eVGA on this problem. I bought the 7800GT and SLi mobo combo on newegg a while back despite the poor reviews. Hooked it all up and it worked, but froze constantly and gave me all sorts of problems. So, I took out the 7800GT and put in my friends XFX card and it still had problems, so I RMAed the board for an ASUS A8N5X. The ASUS board was great, but the card was faulty too!!! RMAed the 7800GT and ended up with a x800pro. Between the shipping and restocking fees I ended up with a non SLi board and significantly worse video card for the same price! I'll never buy eVGA again :evil:

I wouldn't count out eVGA on this problem. I bought the 7800GT and SLi mobo combo on newegg a while back despite the poor reviews. Hooked it all up and it worked, but froze constantly and gave me all sorts of problems. So, I took out the 7800GT and put in my friends XFX card and it still had problems, so I RMAed the board for an ASUS A8N5X. The ASUS board was great, but the card was faulty too!!! RMAed the 7800GT and ended up with a x800pro. Between the shipping and restocking fees I ended up with a non SLi board and significantly worse video card for the same price! I'll never buy eVGA again :evil:
]

it looks like the folks at G. Skill have PC6400 RAM out there with SPID's that are not compatible with some AM2 Motherboards. Be interesting to see what is the culprit, vid card or RAM. G. Skill admitted to Brian their product is defective. And Evga said the problem was their 7900GT. The beeps signified Video card. Too bad Brian is not able to swap out memory and video card. A lot of times I would never solve anything without the capability to move components around. Brian problem sounds like the old days and PC component compatibility issues.