Windows 2003 AD renaming the domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 1, 2005 5:03:08 PM

I have a Windows 2003 AD with a domain that I would like to change. I have
about 50 users attaching daily. Domain example: If my domain for the server
was domain.com I would like to change it to domain.net. The domain that is
being used now is the same domain that the outside Internet is using to host
email and websites.

If I changes this after hours, will this stop the users from loging in or
anything worse?

Thanks Steve
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:48:28 AM

Steve wrote:
> I have a Windows 2003 AD with a domain that I would like to change. I have
> about 50 users attaching daily. Domain example: If my domain for the server
> was domain.com I would like to change it to domain.net. The domain that is
> being used now is the same domain that the outside Internet is using to host
> email and websites.
>
> If I changes this after hours, will this stop the users from loging in or
> anything worse?

But why You want to change this situation? Are there any problems that
are pointing you in that direction, Renaming domain is possible but
risky, You can use ADMTv2 instead of this to migrate users and computer
to the temporary domain (domain.tmp), create new domain (domain.net) and
migrate it back to the domain.net

But maybe it will be enough if You will tell us about your problems with
existing infrastructure, maybe somebody on this news group will find a
solution which will be easier the migrating or renaming domain
--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

Steve wrote:

> My Internet domain name is the same as my internal domain name. I have read
> somewhere that this is a bad structure to have. I have DNS problems with that

This should not be an issue - only problem is that if you have some
internet servers in Your network (for example in Your DMZ zone) you have
to maintain additional duplicate netries for them in Your internal zone
--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl