Sign in with
Your question

D805 + Asus P5N32-SLI DELUXE help

Last response: in Overclocking
July 9, 2006 9:15:48 AM

Hello I am new to this site and am a noob at overclocking. My friend told me to get this and try it since it was much cheaper than a normal system. Now I am confused and stuck at 2.66Mhz. The watercooling system is working nicely and chilling my CPU at around 30 - 40C.

I went into the Bios and tried around with the settings but all you can boost is the voltage but not the FSB. I tried doing it in the windows the AI booster and it hangs up on me.

I am just wondering how you go about solving this problem. Do you need a special program or something to overclock. I see that most people in the forum knows what they are doing and can you give me some pointers or a guide on how this is done.

Thanks in advance, :wink:

Luffy
Related resources
July 20, 2006 4:34:04 AM

just so you know, this board doesnt overclock the FSB very well. I have the same one,l and my computer crashed over only a 400mhz overclock. had to format the hdd... big mess also the guys over at anandtech said the board sucks at FSB oc's in their "conroe gear" guiide... so itsnt jsut me!!

good luck!
July 20, 2006 4:54:53 AM

Luffyd,

If you want some serious help you first need to give us all the information.

Please list in detail all your system specs including what power supply you have.

mobo: P5N32-SLI Deluxe
CPU: D805
CPU COOLER:
RAM:
PSU:
VGA:
DRIVES:

Makes it hard to give you informed advise without all the facts.
July 20, 2006 7:15:26 AM

Quote:
just so you know, this board doesnt overclock the FSB very well. I have the same one,l and my computer crashed over only a 400mhz overclock. had to format the hdd... big mess also the guys over at anandtech said the board sucks at FSB oc's in their "conroe gear" guiide... so itsnt jsut me!!

good luck!

Are you serious?? I am doing 4.3ghz right now, no problems. 8O
July 20, 2006 5:01:23 PM

Ok Luffy, just like they said, don't EVER use AINOS or any of the overclocking profiles, it's all garbage, and I don't know why ASUS keeps putting it in their BIOS's. This board and CPU are easily capable of 4.2Ghz, where I run, and some have gotten as high as 4.3. The FSB on this board is rock-solid, I don't know what relevance the P5N32 has to conroe gear anyway. But all you need to do is go to jumperless menu and reselect whatever FSB speed you want. You have to type the number in, you can't select from a list or anything. Then check your ram settings the same way. Most people reccommend pushing your mem voltage .05 to 1V above manu. recc. on this board for stability. Take it easy at first, build up, don't try to jump straight to 4.1 and wonder why it's not working. One step at a time.
July 21, 2006 4:24:37 AM

TO those who say P5N32 SLI cant OC because its piss week................

I have this MB and a P4 that is oced to 4.3.... (very easy could go to 5.0 with 1.5v) click expand and enlarge the image for yourself........

Water cooling + a 1kw Tagan does help....

If you want advice with this MB pm me....

Bosted VR4 and I have proven that this MB can really oc!!!!
For those who doubt it, the results speak for themselves.
You guys either just cant/dont know how to OC, or have a 955x chipset and are crying about it.
July 21, 2006 5:05:44 AM

double post :?
July 24, 2006 2:09:56 AM

Do i need a printer for print screen?
July 24, 2006 11:36:12 AM

Quote:
Do i need a printer for print screen?

No, all that does is put your screenshot into the clipboard.
July 30, 2006 12:57:58 AM

Hi thanks for everyone's reply. I have been fairly busy this time and had no time to check the site and overclock.

LPS

Mobo: P5N32-SLI DELUXE
CPU: D805
CPU COOLER: Zalman Reservator 1
RAM: OCZ 2GB GOLD XTC (OCZ26672048ELGEGXT)
PSU: Antec NeoHE 550W Power Supply
VGA: BFG Geforce 7950GX2
DRIVE: Maxtor 250GB SATA

Also I realized another problem that occur that is even worst than not being able to overclock.

The motherboard's bios (the stable 0310) doesn't support double sided RAM. It does not boot and I have to change to one sided ram in order to boot up. And with the lower bios the video card is not supported. So I am in a real mess. Now my computer randomly reboots whenever I am playing games or working.

So I am hoping to get some help on this problem or maybe overclocking my computer so that I will be able to boot faster even if it resets itself. :D 

Thanks a lot in advance
July 30, 2006 11:11:00 PM

Luffyd,

2 things for you to check.

I found a post about the RAM and the other person did a beta bios update to 0402 or something like that.

The second thing. I have read somewhere here and inon the ASUS forum that the Antec NEO PSU's have issues with ASUS boards.
July 31, 2006 3:23:37 AM

LPS is 100% correct!
July 31, 2006 4:18:37 AM

SIDEBAR:

4.3? What kind of cooling do you have? At that clock rate what is the AMD equivalent?
July 31, 2006 4:20:27 AM

LPS,

I have check and mines is a beta bios but it's the 0312 one... not the 0402 one.....

For the 0402 one does it actually work though....??

And just wondering how does a PSU affect like motherboards....?? does it not give enough power to the board or soemthing...??

Anyway getting back to the main topic..... How can i overclock do you just use the bios to overclock...?? and how should I set the settings on there with the voltage and other stuff.......
July 31, 2006 4:27:33 AM

luffyd,

Not sure why the PSU has issues with ASUS boards, someone else will have to help here. I just know I have read about it. Soon as they changed to a different brand, the problem stopped.

As for OCing, I wouldn't even try until you get the RAM and Shutdowns issues fixed. You will not be able to truely gauge your OC success if the system keeps shuting down.

I am sure wun911 and boostedvr4 can help once you have a stable starting platform as they have the same type of board.

I have the P5ND2-SLI so it may be slightly different.
July 31, 2006 4:32:27 AM

Quote:
LPS,

I have check and mines is a beta bios but it's the 0312 one... not the 0402 one.....

For the 0402 one does it actually work though....??

Check out this post about OCZ ram.
August 1, 2006 1:08:06 AM

If you can chage your ram to crosair XMS style it will work better.... I have heard of 100s of pplz with OCZ and this MB with heaps of issues... Most pplz returned the OCZ for crosair some pplz some how figured a way around the problem with bios. The asus forums is the best place to sort this out. You will find that there are 100s more crosair ram modules that are suported by this mb than there are OCZs.

YEP some of the new antec psus cant go with some of the Asus MBs.... its a power issue.... Antec website has a very short very vague page on this problem they say they have fixed it but... you have have and old batch of their PSUs.

Your P5N32 SLI deluxe takes a massive amout of power to get it going. A 24pin + 8 pin + 1 Molex EZ plug = one of the most power hungry intel MBs ever made. I would recomend you change your antec to a 600w or more equivaliant eg Tagan, Silverstone etc. 500w sometimes just does not cut the cake especially if you plan for SLI 7900GT or higher. The asus forums will tell you this 100 times over.

Also makesure you have good airflow in your case those heat pipes need some airflow. Just touch the NB or SB while your pc is on and you will find they are quite toasty. (This is partly nvidia's chipset fault not an Asus issue)

I had a similar prob with the PSU just like you did but changed over to a silverstone 600w it works great and is all the power you will need for SLI 7900GT.

(Im unsure what a a 4.3 is equivalant to in AMD style but sandra soft programs show a 4.3 beats all the AMDs and even the intel EEs)
August 1, 2006 1:47:33 AM

When I get back into town this weekend, I will post some of my Sandra Benchmarks, and 3DMark 2006 CPU score...
August 2, 2006 3:19:34 AM

I tried 0402 bios it works for the RAM but it doesn't detect the Geforce 7950. So I am still stuck and not sure what I should do. So I went back to the old bios 0312.

As for the overclocking i still need some help about the settings for the voltages and stuff.
August 2, 2006 3:28:13 AM

I'd be sending the ram back and get some corsair XM2 stuff.

Like I said, get your platform working and stable, then look at OCing it.
August 15, 2006 5:51:22 AM

After discussing it with my friends I think I should just change the motherboard. Because it will be better in the long run and also I think it would be cheaper than getting new RAM.

So any ideas which board I should get, to still be able to overclock my cpu.

Thanks in advance,

LuffyD
August 15, 2006 6:38:34 AM

Quote:
After discussing it with my friends I think I should just change the motherboard. Because it will be better in the long run and also I think it would be cheaper than getting new RAM.

So any ideas which board I should get, to still be able to overclock my cpu.

Thanks in advance,

LuffyD
OCZ Configurator

Have a look at this from OCZ and pick a board that is supposed.
August 17, 2006 1:19:31 AM

I ended up buying a new RAM the one that is on their motherboard manual. The Kingston KVR667D2N5 /1G I got it in a 2GB kit.

I assumed it would work since it's on their manual, and it still has problem and it hangs up whenever I start playing games.

I realized that the problem might not be the stupid ram and might be my PSU. I am just wondering if there are any programs to check and see how much power my PSU is using and if it fluctuates or at the boarder line of my 550W PSU.

Thanks,
August 17, 2006 1:47:42 AM

i would have keept the p5n32 sli what other mb gives decent oc potential and SLI suport for intel dula cores?

Asus has even said that the p5n32 SLI (rev 1.2) can suport conroe!!!

just out of curiosity what mb did you end up choosing?
August 17, 2006 1:51:15 AM

wun911,

When did I say it did support Conroe?

LPS
August 17, 2006 2:05:44 AM

I didn't end up choosing a new board. I just sticked with my P5N32-SLI and got new RAM which also seems to not work.

I am totally confused at what is wrong with my computer.

Not sure if it was the PSU or still the Ram. Any programs for checking the PSU power usage?
August 17, 2006 2:27:53 AM

LoL - it doesn't like OCZ memory. It doesn't like Antec power.
I say you've got a lot of expensive stuff there, and a cheap CPU, and it doesn't work - so you better lose that mobo or whatever...
OCZ memory is great! Get an ABit mobo,
Regards
!