Join Win 2000 as BDC to NT 4.0 domain

Hello all!

I'am migrating from NT 4.0 domain and want to make it safe as possible. Can
i install active directory on new server and join to existing NT 4.0 domain
as BDC, and then promote this new server to PDC ?

Thanks, Slava
1 answer Last reply
More about join 2000 domain

    "Slava" <Slava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello all!
    >
    > I'am migrating from NT 4.0 domain and want to make it safe as possible.
    Can
    > i install active directory on new server and join to existing NT 4.0
    domain
    > as BDC, and then promote this new server to PDC ?

    No.

    A Win2000 machine cannot be a DC (BDC) in a
    NT domain.

    You must do it this way if you wish to use the 'new'
    machine for the purpose of upgrading*:

    1) Install a copy of NT4 on the new machine as
    an (NT4) BDC during initial install

    2) Promote (this) BDC to PDC

    3) Upgrade machine to Win2000+ which will
    install AD, and upgrade the domain to Win2000+

    *Alternatively you can just upgrade the existing NT4
    PDC to Win2000+ (even if the current hardware does
    not support Win2000+ there are still ways to make this
    conversion by using backup/restore or moving hard
    drives around.)

    --
    Herb Martin

    > Thanks, Slava