Join Win 2000 as BDC to NT 4.0 domain

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 1, 2005 11:37:03 PM

Hello all!

I'am migrating from NT 4.0 domain and want to make it safe as possible. Can
i install active directory on new server and join to existing NT 4.0 domain
as BDC, and then promote this new server to PDC ?

Thanks, Slava
Anonymous
March 2, 2005 2:01:05 AM

"Slava" <Slava@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hello all!
>
> I'am migrating from NT 4.0 domain and want to make it safe as possible.
Can
> i install active directory on new server and join to existing NT 4.0
domain
> as BDC, and then promote this new server to PDC ?

No.

A Win2000 machine cannot be a DC (BDC) in a
NT domain.

You must do it this way if you wish to use the 'new'
machine for the purpose of upgrading*:

1) Install a copy of NT4 on the new machine as
an (NT4) BDC during initial install

2) Promote (this) BDC to PDC

3) Upgrade machine to Win2000+ which will
install AD, and upgrade the domain to Win2000+

*Alternatively you can just upgrade the existing NT4
PDC to Win2000+ (even if the current hardware does
not support Win2000+ there are still ways to make this
conversion by using backup/restore or moving hard
drives around.)

--
Herb Martin

!