Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Universal Infrared Wireless Keyboard

Last response: in Cell Phones & Smartphones
Share
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 4, 2004 8:44:56 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Ok, I can already see the jaunts and jeers coming on this one... Last night
I bought the palmOne Universal Infrared Wireless keyboard. Why? It
supposedly works with most palmOne and PocketPC hardware and even Symbian
OS. It has some dedicated keys for Palm functions and some dedicated keys
for PocketPC functions, so it seemed like a great idea. They specifically
list the HP iPAQ 4150 as compatible. I have a 4155 but was under the
impression that these were identical in terms of hardware.

The 4155 has the IR port on the bottom left of the device and I see no way
to position the keyboards IR arm where it works with the iPAQ upright. It
works laying in landscape mode, but not portrait. The 4155 isn't upgradeable
to WM2003SE. So I installed that third-party screen rotation software. Too
many apps including the Today screen and Windows Start menu don't work right
in landscape mode. Having to soft-reset all the time stinks too.

Has anyone tried ANY infrared keyboard with their 4155? Did it work?

Also, I see no way to launch a menu with the keyboard (other than the start
menu). That is killing me too. The keyboard has a menu button for the Palm,
but not for the PPC. I guess this is palmOne's way of saying "see, you
should have purchased a Palm device". Well, I have one of those too but I
want this to work with my iPAQ.

Short of somehow getting this keyboard to work, does anyone have a
suggestion for another keyboard? Preferably infrared, but I guess I could do
bluetooth (too expensive though really for the amount of use it will get by
me), or I suppose the cabled solution works perfect but its more expensive
too and I'm locked in to it only working with the 4155 and select few other
models.

Thanks in advance for any advice on all this...

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com
Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 5, 2004 7:45:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

It looks like you tried to reply to this post, but I don't see any of the
message body. I've very interested in any feedback anyone has on this issue.

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com
Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com


"Donald E. Stidwell" <don.stidwell@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:1102204930@don.stidwell.nospam.net...
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 5, 2004 6:07:52 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "Tim Nicholson" <tim@pdainfosource.com> (Sun, 05 Dec
2004 00:45:25) about ""Re: Universal Infrared Wireless Keyboard"":

TN> It looks like you tried to reply to this post, but I don't see any of
TN> the message body. I've very interested in any feedback anyone has on
TN> this issue.

I'm not sure why the post came up empty either since I did write a reply.
Oh, well. Second try:

Basically what I said was that I did not buy the 4150 series when I was
looking to replace my 2215 precisely because of the goofy placement of the
I/R port. I don't know what HP was thinking when they put the port on the
bottom of the device.

The Palm Universal keyboard works very well with the iPAQs, and I am typing
this response with one - in fact, I'd go so far as to say that it works
better with the Pocket PC than with the Palm! I also use this keyboard with
my Tapwave Zodiac, and the control funtion keys don't work in any of my
applications!

With WM2003SE devices, it works well in landscape mode as well (I'm using a
rx3115). However, given the placement of the I/R port on the 4150,
landscape is the only option, and without WM2003SE, a poor one.

I am thinking that your only real options are a connected keyboard or the
HP attachable thumb-board (about $35), which actually isn't bad. I used one
with my 2210 and it worked well, although certainly not as comfortably as a
full sized keyboard.

If HP had put the I/R port in a sensible place, I'd be using a 4150 right
now instead of a 3115, although I'm quite happy with the 3115.


Bye
Donald E. Stidwell <don.stidwell@nospam.net> Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:00:12 -
0400

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
Related resources
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 6, 2004 7:54:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks for responding. I emailed palmOne and their automated support-bot
told me the 4155 wasn't supported but the 4150 was. My understanding is
there is NO difference whatsoever in these two. I sent him a nasty-gram and
awaiting another response.

However, I think I do have it working. At first I was afraid to move the arm
too far. There is clearly a little nib that stops it from going past a
certain point. Then I got to thinking that the arm is really thin and
flexible and it in fact has to flex over some other stuff to go back into
the case, so I just went ahead and extended further. I now have angled where
the top of the IR arm is actually resting on the table and its pointing
pretty much right at the IR port on the 4155. Its working anyway. I guess
I'll probably keep it. I go through PDA's like water and I don't want to
have to keep buying keyboards all the time ;-)

Now, here is a big PITA with this keyboard. Well, I'm not sure its an issue
with the keyboard so much as an issue with the Pocket PC GUI. Anyone that
uses ANY keyboard with their PPC should be able to answer this for me. If
other keyboards work better, then I will probably return this one for
something else. I could always shell out the dough for a universal BT
keyboard I guess.

Anyway, the issue is with accessing menu items. I've discovered that I can
hit ctrl-N in apps that have a New menu option. I can also hit ctrl-A to
select all text. Ctrl-X, C, and V seem to work as well. There is even a
special key to launch the Windows Start Menu and one to hit OK on dialogs.
What I can't do, is trigger any other menu options. There is no ALT key on
this keyboard as far as I can tell. So I can't even trigger the menu options
that have a letter associated with them. Nor is there an Escape key. Is this
just the way the PPC works or do other keyboards have extra keys that get
around the issues I'm having?

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com
Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com


"Donald E. Stidwell" <don.stidwell@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:1102291672@don.stidwell.nospam.net...
> Reply to message from "Tim Nicholson" <tim@pdainfosource.com> (Sun, 05 Dec
> 2004 00:45:25) about ""Re: Universal Infrared Wireless Keyboard"":
>
> TN> It looks like you tried to reply to this post, but I don't see any of
> TN> the message body. I've very interested in any feedback anyone has on
> TN> this issue.
>
> I'm not sure why the post came up empty either since I did write a reply.
> Oh, well. Second try:
>
> Basically what I said was that I did not buy the 4150 series when I was
> looking to replace my 2215 precisely because of the goofy placement of the
> I/R port. I don't know what HP was thinking when they put the port on the
> bottom of the device.
>
> The Palm Universal keyboard works very well with the iPAQs, and I am
> typing
> this response with one - in fact, I'd go so far as to say that it works
> better with the Pocket PC than with the Palm! I also use this keyboard
> with
> my Tapwave Zodiac, and the control funtion keys don't work in any of my
> applications!
>
> With WM2003SE devices, it works well in landscape mode as well (I'm using
> a
> rx3115). However, given the placement of the I/R port on the 4150,
> landscape is the only option, and without WM2003SE, a poor one.
>
> I am thinking that your only real options are a connected keyboard or the
> HP attachable thumb-board (about $35), which actually isn't bad. I used
> one
> with my 2210 and it worked well, although certainly not as comfortably as
> a
> full sized keyboard.
>
> If HP had put the I/R port in a sensible place, I'd be using a 4150 right
> now instead of a 3115, although I'm quite happy with the 3115.
>
>
> Bye
> Donald E. Stidwell <don.stidwell@nospam.net> Sun, 05 Dec 2004 15:00:12 -
> 0400
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 6, 2004 7:54:44 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "Tim Nicholson" <tim@pdainfosource.com> (Mon, 06 Dec
2004 00:54:43) about ""Re: Universal Infrared Wireless Keyboard"":

TN> Thanks for responding. I emailed palmOne and their automated support-
TN> bot told me the 4155 wasn't supported but the 4150 was. My
TN> understanding is there is NO difference whatsoever in these two. I
TN> sent him a nasty-gram and awaiting another response.

Yeah - droids. There is no difference between the devices except for how
they are sold (corporate or retail) as far as I know.

TN> However, I think I do have it working. At first I was afraid to move
TN> the arm too far. There is clearly a little nib that stops it from
TN> going past a certain point. Then I got to thinking that the arm is
TN> really thin and flexible and it in fact has to flex over some other
TN> stuff to go back into the case, so I just went ahead and extended
TN> further. I now have angled where the top of the IR arm is actually
TN> resting on the table and its pointing pretty much right at the IR port
TN> on the 4155. Its working anyway. I guess I'll probably keep it. I go
TN> through PDA's like water and I don't want to have to keep buying
TN> keyboards all the time ;-)

Familiar with the going through PDA's like water syndrome! I can only think
of one PDA that I've ever kept for an entire year, and consider that I have
one each Palm and Pocket PC that get changed out too frequently! I'm glad
you've found a solution , althought it hardly seems idea. I wonder how long
the arm will hold up?

TN> Now, here is a big PITA with this keyboard. Well, I'm not sure its an
TN> issue with the keyboard so much as an issue with the Pocket PC GUI.
TN> Anyone that uses ANY keyboard with their PPC should be able to answer
TN> this for me. If other keyboards work better, then I will probably
TN> return this one for something else. I could always shell out the dough
TN> for a universal BT keyboard I guess.

TN> Anyway, the issue is with accessing menu items. I've discovered that I
TN> can hit ctrl-N in apps that have a New menu option. I can also hit
TN> ctrl-A to select all text. Ctrl-X, C, and V seem to work as well.
TN> There is even a special key to launch the Windows Start Menu and one
TN> to hit OK on dialogs. What I can't do, is trigger any other menu
TN> options. There is no ALT key on this keyboard as far as I can tell. So
TN> I can't even trigger the menu options that have a letter associated
TN> with them. Nor is there an Escape key. Is this just the way the PPC
TN> works or do other keyboards have extra keys that get around the issues
TN> I'm having?

Oh boy, I can't believe I forgot about that! There is neither an escape key
nor an alt key on this keyboard. (Now I'm going to have to read the manual
to make sure there isn't some key sequence that provides those functions).
I use this keyboard mainly with TextMaker and the lack of an alt key means
I'm always having to break out the stylus. The Palm Wireless keyboard that
I was using before this one (using drivers from Think Outside for use with
Pocket PC) did have a working alt key, but no escape key.

There is another wireless keyboard that has 5 rows of keys and working alt
and escape keys, and that's the Targus Universal Wireless Keyboard. It's
substantially larger than either the Palm Universal or Palm Wireless. In
fact, I think it's physically the largest I/R keyboard I've ever seen.
Unfortunately, it has two flaws (I have one of these as well - picked it up
for half-price in a Circuit City bargain rack). First, it has no arrow
keys, but uses a funky built in mouse that I find hard to control.
(Ironically, the mouse doesn't work well with Palm OS5 devices). Seccondly,
it doesn't work with WM2003SE devices - or at least not with my 3115. Of
course, this isn't a concern for your device. It's not really a bad device
except for its size and the lack of cursor keys. If you can get used to the
mouse thingy, it can be useable.

Don


Bye
Donald E. Stidwell <don.stidwell@nospam.net> Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:38:32 -
0400

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 7, 2004 12:09:06 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Thanks for your advice on all this. I really do want something as small as
possible for traveling. Do the keyboards with the ALT keys allow you to
access the program menus, then? I was going to mess with this on my PPC and
I noticed there is no ALT key on the on-screen keyboard. So now I'm
wondering if WM2003 even supports it.

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com
Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com


"Donald E. Stidwell" <don.stidwell@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:1102326642@don.stidwell.nospam.net...
> Reply to message from "Tim Nicholson" <tim@pdainfosource.com> (Mon, 06 Dec
> 2004 00:54:43) about ""Re: Universal Infrared Wireless Keyboard"":
>
> TN> Thanks for responding. I emailed palmOne and their automated support-
> TN> bot told me the 4155 wasn't supported but the 4150 was. My
> TN> understanding is there is NO difference whatsoever in these two. I
> TN> sent him a nasty-gram and awaiting another response.
>
> Yeah - droids. There is no difference between the devices except for how
> they are sold (corporate or retail) as far as I know.
>
> TN> However, I think I do have it working. At first I was afraid to move
> TN> the arm too far. There is clearly a little nib that stops it from
> TN> going past a certain point. Then I got to thinking that the arm is
> TN> really thin and flexible and it in fact has to flex over some other
> TN> stuff to go back into the case, so I just went ahead and extended
> TN> further. I now have angled where the top of the IR arm is actually
> TN> resting on the table and its pointing pretty much right at the IR port
> TN> on the 4155. Its working anyway. I guess I'll probably keep it. I go
> TN> through PDA's like water and I don't want to have to keep buying
> TN> keyboards all the time ;-)
>
> Familiar with the going through PDA's like water syndrome! I can only
> think
> of one PDA that I've ever kept for an entire year, and consider that I
> have
> one each Palm and Pocket PC that get changed out too frequently! I'm glad
> you've found a solution , althought it hardly seems idea. I wonder how
> long
> the arm will hold up?
>
> TN> Now, here is a big PITA with this keyboard. Well, I'm not sure its an
> TN> issue with the keyboard so much as an issue with the Pocket PC GUI.
> TN> Anyone that uses ANY keyboard with their PPC should be able to answer
> TN> this for me. If other keyboards work better, then I will probably
> TN> return this one for something else. I could always shell out the dough
> TN> for a universal BT keyboard I guess.
>
> TN> Anyway, the issue is with accessing menu items. I've discovered that I
> TN> can hit ctrl-N in apps that have a New menu option. I can also hit
> TN> ctrl-A to select all text. Ctrl-X, C, and V seem to work as well.
> TN> There is even a special key to launch the Windows Start Menu and one
> TN> to hit OK on dialogs. What I can't do, is trigger any other menu
> TN> options. There is no ALT key on this keyboard as far as I can tell. So
> TN> I can't even trigger the menu options that have a letter associated
> TN> with them. Nor is there an Escape key. Is this just the way the PPC
> TN> works or do other keyboards have extra keys that get around the issues
> TN> I'm having?
>
> Oh boy, I can't believe I forgot about that! There is neither an escape
> key
> nor an alt key on this keyboard. (Now I'm going to have to read the manual
> to make sure there isn't some key sequence that provides those functions).
> I use this keyboard mainly with TextMaker and the lack of an alt key means
> I'm always having to break out the stylus. The Palm Wireless keyboard that
> I was using before this one (using drivers from Think Outside for use with
> Pocket PC) did have a working alt key, but no escape key.
>
> There is another wireless keyboard that has 5 rows of keys and working alt
> and escape keys, and that's the Targus Universal Wireless Keyboard. It's
> substantially larger than either the Palm Universal or Palm Wireless. In
> fact, I think it's physically the largest I/R keyboard I've ever seen.
> Unfortunately, it has two flaws (I have one of these as well - picked it
> up
> for half-price in a Circuit City bargain rack). First, it has no arrow
> keys, but uses a funky built in mouse that I find hard to control.
> (Ironically, the mouse doesn't work well with Palm OS5 devices).
> Seccondly,
> it doesn't work with WM2003SE devices - or at least not with my 3115. Of
> course, this isn't a concern for your device. It's not really a bad device
> except for its size and the lack of cursor keys. If you can get used to
> the
> mouse thingy, it can be useable.
>
> Don
>
>
> Bye
> Donald E. Stidwell <don.stidwell@nospam.net> Mon, 06 Dec 2004 00:38:32 -
> 0400
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 7, 2004 12:09:07 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "Tim Nicholson" <tim@pdainfosource.com> (Mon, 06 Dec
2004 17:09:06) about ""Re: Universal Infrared Wireless Keyboard"":

TN> Thanks for your advice on all this. I really do want something as
TN> small as possible for traveling. Do the keyboards with the ALT keys
TN> allow you to access the program menus, then? I was going to mess with
TN> this on my PPC and I noticed there is no ALT key on the on-screen
TN> keyboard. So now I'm wondering if WM2003 even supports it.

Keyboards that have an alt key do support menu selection with it if the
program you're using does. There really isn't any point to the alt key on
the onscreen keyboards, since you have the stylus out anyway!



Bye
Donald E. Stidwell <don.stidwell@nospam.net> Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:12:55 -
0400

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 7, 2004 8:02:25 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Darn, that's good news, but not for me ;-) I could definitely continue to
use this now that I'm not afraid of flexing the IR arm a bit, but no Alt key
could be the killer. I really would like to be able to use the menus so I
can do things like delete emails, etc. without the stylus. Why is this so
hard? ;-)

--
Tim Nicholson
tim@pdainfosource.com
Check out our MobileWeb Site Index at http://mobileweb.pdainfosource.com


"Donald E. Stidwell" <don.stidwell@nospam.net> wrote in message
news:1102382164@don.stidwell.nospam.net...
> Reply to message from "Tim Nicholson" <tim@pdainfosource.com> (Mon, 06 Dec
> 2004 17:09:06) about ""Re: Universal Infrared Wireless Keyboard"":
>
> TN> Thanks for your advice on all this. I really do want something as
> TN> small as possible for traveling. Do the keyboards with the ALT keys
> TN> allow you to access the program menus, then? I was going to mess with
> TN> this on my PPC and I noticed there is no ALT key on the on-screen
> TN> keyboard. So now I'm wondering if WM2003 even supports it.
>
> Keyboards that have an alt key do support menu selection with it if the
> program you're using does. There really isn't any point to the alt key on
> the onscreen keyboards, since you have the stylus out anyway!
>
>
>
> Bye
> Donald E. Stidwell <don.stidwell@nospam.net> Mon, 06 Dec 2004 16:12:55 -
> 0400
>
> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
December 7, 2004 1:47:41 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.pocketpc (More info?)

Reply to message from "Tim Nicholson" <tim@pdainfosource.com> (Tue, 07 Dec
2004 01:02:25) about ""Re: Universal Infrared Wireless Keyboard"":

TN> Darn, that's good news, but not for me ;-) I could definitely continue
TN> to use this now that I'm not afraid of flexing the IR arm a bit, but
TN> no Alt key could be the killer. I really would like to be able to use
TN> the menus so I can do things like delete emails, etc. without the
TN> stylus. Why is this so hard? ;-)

I looked at the manual, and nope - no alt key nor workaround. If you can
live with a four row keyboard, the Think Outside wireless may be a beter
option for you.

Don
>> Bye
>> Donald E. Stidwell <don. stidwell@nospam.net> Mon, 06 Dec
>> 2004 16:12:55 -
>> 0400

>> === Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1





Bye
Donald E. Stidwell <don.stidwell@nospam.net> Tue, 07 Dec 2004 10:30:39 -
0400

=== Posted with Qusnetsoft NewsReader 3.1
!