Last response: in CPUs

E6700 or E6600

Total: 58 votes (3 blank votes)

• I will get the E6700
  • 18 %
  • I will get the E6600
  • 83 %
July 9, 2006 10:36:33 AM

In terms of money vs performance which one do you think is a better choice?

After looking through over 20+ benchmark tests, I can conclude that the E6700 and E6600 have the closest score. Sometimes the E6600 even win over the 6700 in several application tests and games(i really wonder y)..

overclocking ability, heat release, power consumption and most importantly price vs perfomance ratio, if you will to choose, which will you get?

thanks in advance. :wink:
July 9, 2006 11:42:33 AM

I would buy the E6600, 200$ extra for just 267 Mhz isn't very good performance/price ratio. Buy better memories instead and overclock.

But the E6700 would probably be better for overclocking because it has a higher multipler.
July 9, 2006 11:44:50 AM

It's really a hard choice. First off the price difference is about $200 bucks or so. In early test the E6600 is seen smoking the Intel 955 Extreme Edition Chip and top of the line AM2 FX chips. That's fast. It'll cost about $350 or so when it comes on the market. The E6700 has a bit more ghz and as the previous poster pointed out, a higher mutiplier for overclocking. I think a very high majority of new builders will buy the E600 for the price alone and perfomance second. As for me, i'm waiting a few more months before building my new rig. I'm waiting on benchmarks on the actual final retail versions of the chips. I'm also going to wait till prices drop down a bit on the new mobo's that'll be coming out at $250+ for the launch of Core 2 Duo. My current system is pretty good so I can wait a few months before doing a massive internal upgrade in a new system. As for choice? E6600 all the way. Price is good and ealry perfomance is superb.
Related resources
July 9, 2006 2:57:24 PM

haha if it wasn't a 'hard choice' i wouldn't have ask in the first place right? :wink:

Anyway, u have a point but according to what u said, shouldn't the better choice be to wait for the prices of the 6700 to drop and then get it.

one last thing. can someone please explain to me what the ' multipler' things mean? I'm completely new to overclocking. 8O
July 9, 2006 8:02:32 PM

I'm fairly sure the E6700 is going to be the lowest Core 2 Duo chip unlocked, hence the large price premium.
July 9, 2006 8:03:25 PM

I believe that the E6800 is unlocked, not the E6700
July 9, 2006 9:09:16 PM

Quote:
I'm fairly sure the E6700 is going to be the lowest Core 2 Duo chip unlocked, hence the large price premium.

I'm sorry but what do u mean by unlock?? Could u also kindly explain what the 'multipler' things means. I will really appeciate.
July 10, 2006 2:36:11 AM

Once upon a time CPU's were set at a clock say 600mhz. This mhz rating is based on a number and a multiplier.

you take the number and the mulitplier and thats how you get your cpu speed.

back to the 600mhz cpu the number would be 6 and the multiplier would be 100 making 600 mhz. It's refered to as the multiplier because thats the number you multiply it with the other number. The number is the CPU number and the multiplier is the front side bus speed.

There are technical terms for it but i forget.

basicly back in the day you could take that 600mhz cpu and make it a 800mhz and sell it as such. making for a huge profit. They could do this because it wasn't locked and could make any speed you want. change the number from 6 to 8 with the multiplier at 100 and make it a 800mhz cpu for the price of a 600mhz. A lot of stores and oems got away with this but the customers were complaining about instability.

The CPU industry (namely Intel) didn't like this at all and so introduced a "lock" to lock the cpus so you can't change the CPU number. AMD later followed suit.

see how cpus are made arn't magic. It's just "hey what speed will this cpu go, reaches 853mhz, labels it as a 800mhz chip". Its that mundane. Sometimes they label it slower than that in order to make sure it won't overheat and cause problems. Gives headaches to OEM's which gives intel a hardtime about their systems locking up due to heat.

So they may take the 853mhz cpu and label it as a 600mhz chip instead to make sure it won't overheat and lockup causing problems.

The lock makes it so the cpu number cannot be changed at all. Because its locked on the chip perminatly. The multiplier is the front side bus and can't be locked by intel. So people change the FSB which changes the multiplier making the CPU faster.

CPU number * Front side bus (multiplier) ='s cpu speed

=)

Quote:

I'm sorry but what do u mean by unlock?? Could u also kindly explain what the 'multipler' things means. I will really appeciate.
July 10, 2006 3:09:00 AM

Quote:
Sometimes the E6600 even win over the 6700 in several application tests and games(i really wonder y)..
I sincerely doubt that; how is the same chip at a lower clockspeed ever going to outperform the faster chip?
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
July 10, 2006 4:04:59 AM

The multiplier is the actual number, the 100 your refer about is the CPU Bus speed.

Here's an explanation to explain the CPU unlocked of the X6800

Quote:
As some people mentioned, Xe are simply Multiplier unlocked. So this means that you can overclock like this.

266 * 11 = 2933mhz ( in bold is the multiplier).
So given the proper cooling, and without affecting anything else than the CPU(Ram stays at the same speed), you can do
266 * 12 = 3200mhz (probly X6900)...

If the multiplier were locked, you would have to OC the FSB.
291 * 11 = 3201mhz (but your OCing the RAM, you would need DDR2-583+ )
February 19, 2007 12:57:06 AM

who cares about who DOES know how to overclock, if you are here, chances are you do or want to... When you can push a 6400 to 3.4 GHz (I know from expirence) why waste your money on the 6700??
February 19, 2007 2:37:50 AM

Quote:
who cares about who DOES know how to overclock, if you are here, chances are you do or want to... When you can push a 6400 to 3.4 GHz (I know from expirence) why waste your money on the 6700??

I can't tell if you dug this up on purpose as a joke, like many have before. OR, if you for some reason went back 50 pages and found it, and responed, thinking it was new. :?

Meh, i don'tcare anyway. :wink:
February 19, 2007 4:53:47 AM

lol, i thought it was new. sorry
!