Help with buying new AMD processor

validlitterdept

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Hey guys ---

i'm looking to upgrade my system in the next couple of weeks. It wont be anythnig super great but i'm stuck between 2 CPUs. I work as technical support in a company - however this is mainly to do with software - we leave hardware issues to Dell if possible (and they only deal with Intel so my knowldge on AMDs is limited).

Enough babbling though. I'm stuck between buying a Socket939 AMD Athlon64 3800+ (Venice) and a So.AM2 3500+ Athlon 64 'Orleans'. I've looked for Benchmarks and noticed the Venice seems to perform very well. However i know the Orleans is newer - but newer doesnt mean better and i cant find any comparisons between the 2. Both are very similarly priced.

FYI, the rest rundown of my system will be:

Processor: AMD Orleans/Venice
Memory: 1GB (upgradable at some point) Infinion
Mobo: Need recommendations - another thread for that soon :D
HDD 1 : 160GB Maxtor SATA-II Running XP Pro
HDD 2 : 80GB Maxtor SATA Running Linux
HDD 3 : 60 GB Maxtor ATA (used for backing up docs/music) in case SATA messes up on me - easier to retrieve data imo
Graphics : Leadtek 6800GT 256mb PCI-e
Samsung DVD-RW
Samsung DVD-ROM/CD-ROM

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rob

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Best idea is wait untel next month Amd will be dropping prices on some of it cpus. Now the mother board others might have to help you with.

So you might get something a little faster for the same cost your looking at now.

jackieboy

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Even though the 3500 may be newer.....the 3800 will still outperform the 3500. And yes it only has a 512 L2 cach but it will still outperform the 3500. So...............get the 3800

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
Hey guys ---

i'm looking to upgrade my system in the next couple of weeks. It wont be anythnig super great but i'm stuck between 2 CPUs. I work as technical support in a company - however this is mainly to do with software - we leave hardware issues to Dell if possible (and they only deal with Intel so my knowldge on AMDs is limited).

Enough babbling though. I'm stuck between buying a Socket939 AMD Athlon64 3800+ (Venice) and a So.AM2 3500+ Athlon 64 'Orleans'. I've looked for Benchmarks and noticed the Venice seems to perform very well. However i know the Orleans is newer - but newer doesnt mean better and i cant find any comparisons between the 2. Both are very similarly priced.

FYI, the rest rundown of my system will be:

Processor: AMD Orleans/Venice
Memory: 1GB (upgradable at some point) Infinion
Mobo: Need recommendations - another thread for that soon :D
HDD 1 : 160GB Maxtor SATA-II Running XP Pro
HDD 2 : 80GB Maxtor SATA Running Linux
HDD 3 : 60 GB Maxtor ATA (used for backing up docs/music) in case SATA messes up on me - easier to retrieve data imo
Graphics : Leadtek 6800GT 256mb PCI-e
Samsung DVD-RW
Samsung DVD-ROM/CD-ROM

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Rob

The 3800+ is a dual core chip that runs 30% OC (over clocked). It's now $144 at Newegg. Are you just looking for a chip or a mobo too? If a mobo also, I'd go with AM2.

It's a much better upgrade path.

validlitterdept

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
i plan on getting the mobo too. The site i found it all on was www.ankermann-pc.co.uk (i'm not advertising the site - just for reference!). i thought his prices looked absolutely absured only i cant see the prices going down due to the structure of the site.

i thought the Venice looked the better shout. Although i'm now quite tempted to wait - however i'm not too keen on building my own system from scratch as i'm more than likely going to mess it up - i'd rather have a company build it and then they can test and be responsible.

Thanks for your replies - the motherboards on that site were the ones i was limiting myself to - however i'm not too keen on going ASRock because they are supposed to be poor (but please prove me wrong if i am :))

mcgruff

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you're buying in the UK also check out scan.co.uk. Prices are good and standard delivery only takes a couple of days. If you order in the morning you might even get it the next day. Good service.

BaronMatrix

Splendid
Dec 14, 2005
i plan on getting the mobo too. The site i found it all on was www.ankermann-pc.co.uk (i'm not advertising the site - just for reference!). i thought his prices looked absolutely absured only i cant see the prices going down due to the structure of the site.

i thought the Venice looked the better shout. Although i'm now quite tempted to wait - however i'm not too keen on building my own system from scratch as i'm more than likely going to mess it up - i'd rather have a company build it and then they can test and be responsible.

Thanks for your replies - the motherboards on that site were the ones i was limiting myself to - however i'm not too keen on going ASRock because they are supposed to be poor (but please prove me wrong if i am :))

ASRock is a spin off of ASUS. they make GOOD CHEAP mobos. Sevral sites ahve reviews of their latest. There are some good boxes at newegg or Dixons if you're across the pond as it sounds.

There was another UK site with good prices but I can't think of the name.

4745454b

Titan
"The 3800+ is a dual core chip that runs 30% OC (over clocked). It's now $144 at Newegg." Care to prove it? I just bought my new system, I believe your mistaken. AMD makes a single core 3800. (which would have the venice core, dual core chips are Manchester/Toledo/Windsor.)