future proof rig...

thornado

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Hi all! I'm new to these forums, tho I've been reading topics for a long time. :) Anyway, this is my first ever build and I need you to confirm compatibility, and if the rig is future proof (I dont want to upgrade after 1 or 2 years!) These are my components:

Mobo : Asus M2N-E
CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ (AM2) (probably will oc)
RAM : donno, maybe you can suggest a pair of dual-channel memory (I need only 1gig)
GFX: XFX GeForce 7600GT XXX Edition (exception to upgrading when dx10 cards are out)
HDD: Maxtor 200gig SATA II
SoundCard : Creative Audigy 4
Speakers : Creative Inspire P5800
Case : Raidmax Sagitta

I'm gonna use it mainly for gaming and some photoshop and other stuff like that. Intel fanboys, I know about conroe & its performance, so give good suggestions and advices! :wink: All other suggestions for improvement are welcome and pls try to stick to my budget of $1700 or less

PS ::: dont wry, I'm gonna wait till July 24th :wink:

Neofight

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
Your specs are pretty similar to the one I am putting together, and it will be my first build too. I suspect we will see each others posts on here while building asking for help. :oops:

For ram I would stick with Corsair XMS as that seems to be yielding the least trouble when building. Others on here have used other brands but most of them have seemed to need lots of coaxing.

Does your case come with a power supply? If it does I would be very sure that it is a reliable one. If not then purchase a good one separately. Stick with Antec, Fortron Source, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling or a few others that are considered reliable quality. Check Jonnyguru.com for many PSU reviews.

thornado

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
You misunderstood me (my fault :oops: ) When I said upgrade, I meant things like mobo and cpu and the other stuff. Gfx and RAM are common upgrades and those can come l8er. With future proof I meant that after 2 yrs I can still run the common desktop apps at full speed (not including games)

Neofight tnx for your help m8 :wink: What do you guys think about Kingston and Crucial memory? (need more help & suggestions pls :) )

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
If you're waiting till July 24th, might as well get Conroe but I guess you prefer AM2 (?) so:

2GB (2 x 1GB) Corsair XMS (NOW, then upgrade to 4GB when you get Vista)
The video card is okay since you're gonna upgrade to a DX10 card
Antec 500W SmartPower 2.0 PSU

Nice system but of course, if you can wait, then get Conroe man :p

S7A88Y

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2006
I wouldn't get a SmartPower, don't get me wrong there great (I have 2) but they aren't any good for dual core + high end graphics.

baddog1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
"Future proof" is a complete oxymoron. But your setup will run nearly everything out today fairly well. Except Oblivion, of course. And that game appears to be written specifically to hog resources.

baddog1

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
"Future proof" is a complete oxymoron. But your setup will run nearly everything out today fairly well. Except Oblivion, of course. And that game appears to be written specifically to hog resources.

deusex

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2006
BadDog is 100% corect in that matter. Your system is not gonna run oblivion well, (well that depends if you play it!), and that damn gamebryo engine was written to urge people to upgrade.

thornado

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
well...fortunately.....I dont play oblivon :D ! To Akifuddin: well, I'm preferring am2 because of price right now, not cause I'm an amd guy. I would like to have that core2 but if there is a shortage, I would be really happy to get an am2 (They're still good processors 8O ). Anyway, at least it would still be a fair upgrade from my lame P4 1.6 Ghz 8)
And ok you've convinced me, I'm getting 2 x 1Gb sticks of RAM.
Any one can suggest a good psu? I just don't want overkill :)
thx

shadowduck

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
well...fortunately.....I dont play oblivon :D ! To Akifuddin: well, I'm preferring am2 because of price right now, not cause I'm an amd guy. I would like to have that core2 but if there is a shortage, I would be really happy to get an am2 (They're still good processors 8O ). Anyway, at least it would still be a fair upgrade from my lame P4 1.6 Ghz 8)
And ok you've convinced me, I'm getting 2 x 1Gb sticks of RAM.
Any one can suggest a good psu? I just don't want overkill :)
thx

Good PSU: Antec Smartpower 500W (modular cabling is amazing).

Great PSU (for SLI): Antec Truepower II 550W (not modular though).

Hoppy6698

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Agree with the Antec 550W Truepower, incredible reliability and SLI certified.

Also, with the ASUS mobo, Corsair XMS are the least problematic, stick with those.

Suggest dropping the AMD X2 4200+, go for the AMD 64 3800+ Orleans chip. It will outproduce the 4200 in gaming and until Vista comes out, not much can use the dual core yet. At $150, its very cheap. Use the extra cash for a 7900 GT card, get a dual core a year or two from now, or even an FX chip when you go to upgrade.

Suggest losing the Inspire series of speakers, they are not digital. Better bet is a 2.1 system that is (such as Klipsh or Logitech Z THX series).

Not sure where all your money is going, but Im building an AM2 rig as well. For $1200 I have - Foxconn AM2 board (nforce 590), RAID 0 setup, AMD 3800 Orleans, Arctic Cooling 64 for CPU, 7900 GT Nvidia, 2 GB RAM, Thermaltake case, Thermaltake extra fans, Antec Truepower 550, DVD burner, FLoppy, Fan controller, UV lighting kit, UV cable covers ... and Media Center OS. For $1700, I could easily SLI the rig from the start.

My rig - https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...3571927&WishListTitle=Gamers+Rig+-+Socket+AM2

thornado

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
where my money is going? It's a common question...well in the US components are really cheap, even postage is cheap. In malta, prices are uber high (not to consider that only 1 store knows about am2 :? )

Hoppy6698

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
Ah so, figured that had to be it. Having lived in Germany for the past 4 years, I feel your pain. So glad I'm finally going home soon! :D

Hi all! I'm new to these forums, tho I've been reading topics for a long time. :) Anyway, this is my first ever build and I need you to confirm compatibility, and if the rig is future proof (I dont want to upgrade after 1 or 2 years!) These are my components:

Mobo : Asus M2N-E
CPU : AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 4200+ (AM2) (probably will oc)
RAM : donno, maybe you can suggest a pair of dual-channel memory (I need only 1gig)
GFX: XFX GeForce 7600GT XXX Edition (exception to upgrading when dx10 cards are out)
HDD: Maxtor 200gig SATA II
SoundCard : Creative Audigy 4
Speakers : Creative Inspire P5800
Case : Raidmax Sagitta

I'm gonna use it mainly for gaming and some photoshop and other stuff like that. Intel fanboys, I know about conroe & its performance, so give good suggestions and advices! :wink: All other suggestions for improvement are welcome and pls try to stick to my budget of $1700 or less

PS ::: dont wry, I'm gonna wait till July 24th :wink:
Agreed, "future proof" is an oxymoron...can almost never really future proof a machine nowadays...however, to make it last longer...Get 2GB memory to start, either Corsair XMS or Kingston HyperX will be great...don't sandbag for a DX10 card, who knows how long you actually end up waiting for it, they say next year but they say a lot of things, get a 7900GT instead of a 7600...lastly, get a 2nd hard drive as well, use one for the OS and the second for the page file, photoshop swap file, and general storage...good luck!

TRENDING THREADS