Rich

I have a couple of HP2000c inkjet printers which work very well, except
for the well known issue of the chip in the ink cartridge which prevents
printing after the "expired by" date encoded in it.

I get around this by changing my computer system date just before
printing, and this works very well... except when I forget (wasted
paper) or forget to change it back (messed up e-mails).

Since I've got a couple of older computers laying around, I'm thinking
of setting up a print server. I would plan to set the system date on
the server to a couple of years back (and leave it set that way) to fool
the ink cartridge and leave my computer's date alone.

QUESTION IS... on such a setup, do the printer drivers reside on my
computer or on the print server? Will the driver get the system date
from my computer or the 'false date' on the print server? I've also
seen a small device by Netgear which is advertised as a 'print server'
(Netgear PS101). Any chance I could use THAT to accomplish what I'd
like to do?

Rich

Rich wrote:
> I have a couple of HP2000c inkjet printers which work very well, except
> for the well known issue of the chip in the ink cartridge which prevents
> printing after the "expired by" date encoded in it.
>
> I get around this by changing my computer system date just before
> printing, and this works very well... except when I forget (wasted
> paper) or forget to change it back (messed up e-mails).
>
> Since I've got a couple of older computers laying around, I'm thinking
> of setting up a print server. I would plan to set the system date on
> the server to a couple of years back (and leave it set that way) to fool
> the ink cartridge and leave my computer's date alone.
>
> QUESTION IS... on such a setup, do the printer drivers reside on my
> computer or on the print server? Will the driver get the system date
> from my computer or the 'false date' on the print server? I've also
> seen a small device by Netgear which is advertised as a 'print server'
> (Netgear PS101). Any chance I could use THAT to accomplish what I'd
> like to do?
>
> Rich

It is the print drivers that format or reformat the software data stream
into a data stream that the printer understands.

On the networks I have set up, it is required that the printer drivers
be installed on each computer that will try to print to the printer,
either a printer on a dedicated print server device, or a computer on
the network to which such a printer is attached.

I would assume that this is likely to set the date stamp of the data
stream to the printer equal to the date of the sending computer, but do
not actually know.

Most of the electronic horsepower for workgroup networked computers lies
within the computers.... An example is two computers tied together with
NIC cards (Network Interface Card) and a crossover cable. No hub or
router or external electronic device on such a network.

In article <d52ni802npg@enews2.newsguy.com>, jbuch@CUTHERErevealed.net
(jbuch) wrote:

> I would assume that this is likely to set the date stamp of the data
> stream to the printer equal to the date of the sending computer, but do
> not actually know.

If it does, printing to a file on the print-server and running a process
to pass any files that turn up there to the printer as raw data would get
round the problem.

I'd expect.

Jon.

Rich

jbuch wrote:
> Rich wrote:
>
>> I have a couple of HP2000c inkjet printers which work very well,
>> except for the well known issue of the chip in the ink cartridge which
>> prevents printing after the "expired by" date encoded in it.
>>
>> I get around this by changing my computer system date just before
>> printing, and this works very well... except when I forget (wasted
>> paper) or forget to change it back (messed up e-mails).
>>
>> Since I've got a couple of older computers laying around, I'm thinking
>> of setting up a print server. I would plan to set the system date on
>> the server to a couple of years back (and leave it set that way) to
>> fool the ink cartridge and leave my computer's date alone.
>>
>> QUESTION IS... on such a setup, do the printer drivers reside on my
>> computer or on the print server? Will the driver get the system date
>> from my computer or the 'false date' on the print server? I've also
>> seen a small device by Netgear which is advertised as a 'print server'
>> (Netgear PS101). Any chance I could use THAT to accomplish what I'd
>> like to do?
>>
>> Rich
>>
> It is the print drivers that format or reformat the software data stream
> into a data stream that the printer understands.
>
> On the networks I have set up, it is required that the printer drivers
> be installed on each computer that will try to print to the printer,
> either a printer on a dedicated print server device, or a computer on
> the network to which such a printer is attached.
>
> I would assume that this is likely to set the date stamp of the data
> stream to the printer equal to the date of the sending computer, but do
> not actually know.
>
> Most of the electronic horsepower for workgroup networked computers lies
> within the computers.... An example is two computers tied together with
> NIC cards (Network Interface Card) and a crossover cable. No hub or
> router or external electronic device on such a network.

Thinking it through, I can see that the "date" information would come
from the computer with the originating application. Another good idea
that won't work!

Thanks for your response. (Saved me a whole lot of work that wouldn't do
what I was hoping.)

Rich