Bluey99

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
I currently have two HDD connected to my system. The main HDD which is partitioned and has the OS installed and programs is set to Primary/ Master. The second HDD is purely just for storage and is set to Secondary Master along with the DVD burner which is set to Secondary/Slave. I was just wondering if this setup would achieve max performance (speed) and if not, how should the devices be configured?

Also my MB supports up to ATA100.

Thanks

blue68f100

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2005
Your hard disks are on seperate IDE controllers. It has always been thought to have you HD on seperate controllers. But when you through a cd on the ide buss things slow down on that buss if using the cd.

Some say it's better to have the Hard drives on the same controler, to prevent the buss from slowing down. Mine are on seperate ide controllers.

elpresidente2075

Distinguished
May 29, 2006
This would only cause a problem if you were trying to utilise the resources of both secondary devices simultaneously. Under normal use, however, you shouldn't see any performance problems. In fact, you will see even better performance than normal when copying from HD to HD.

elpresidente is right. The only way the CD drive would slow down the hard drive on the secondary channel is if you were trying to use both at the same time, such as copying a bunch of files from the cd, to the secondary hard drive.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
elpresidente is right. The only way the CD drive would slow down the hard drive on the secondary channel is if you were trying to use both at the same time, such as copying a bunch of files from the cd, to the secondary hard drive.
True. There is no 100% right way to do this, as you may copy from CD to primary/master sometimes, and to secondary/master at others. So it's a catch 22 situation. :?