Help! My modem won't dial.

Rich

Hello,

I have Win-XP with an internal modem. The system recognizes and installs
the modem just fine. Device Manager and diagnostics are good however, the
modem won't dial. Testthe phone line and good dial tone. The strange thing
is that when I run the internet connection setup wizard, I only get the
option for broadband. The option for a modem is disabled (grayed out).
Does anyone know what's going on and how to get around this?

Thanks,
Rich

Check the modem manufacturer's website for updated drivers as well as
possible firmware updates for your model modem.

--
Michael Solomon MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

"Rich" <rstringer@provide.net> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have Win-XP with an internal modem. The system recognizes and installs
> the modem just fine. Device Manager and diagnostics are good however, the
> modem won't dial. Testthe phone line and good dial tone. The strange
> thing is that when I run the internet connection setup wizard, I only get
> the option for broadband. The option for a modem is disabled (grayed
> out). Does anyone know what's going on and how to get around this?
>
> Thanks,
> Rich

I got those symptoms when I installed my modem wrong. The
modem required the software to be run BEFORE the modem
was installed. The solution was to back out - deleting
the modem from the Device Manager and removing it from
the computer, then running the software and installing
the modem. I shoulda RTFM'd before I decided I knew how
to install it.

Apparently, the software includes a critical software
link to the OS.

Mike