Pentium D 930 Temperature

pagedown

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
My Pentium D 930 (With OEM Heatsink) seems very hot. it's about 65C reported by BIOS at idle. But motherboard temperature is just about 42C.

DO i need to buy another heatsink ?

ASUS P5WD2
Pentium D 930
Antec Sonata II Case

ara

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2005
i'm not entirely sure on the "OEM" heatsink, but it sounds like it's not properly seated on the CPU, it would be a good idea to take it off, clean off the old thermalpaste and apply some new thermalpaste and re-attach it.

Ara

luminaris

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2005
My Pentium D 930 (With OEM Heatsink) seems very hot. it's about 65C reported by BIOS at idle. But motherboard temperature is just about 42C.

DO i need to buy another heatsink ?

ASUS P5WD2
Pentium D 930
Antec Sonata II Case

If it's that hot, the heatsink your using is not seated right in the first place. Once you mount a 775 heatsink, I always tug on it to ensure the feet are properly seated to the board. Otherwise, you'll continue to have heat problems. Another way to solve it is use a cooler from zalman or the like, where you actually screw a plate to the board which IMO, is much better.

pagedown

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
Many thanks !

i noticed that my CPU FAN speed is just around 1000 RPM !
Then i disabled the ASUS Q-FAN Option , resettled the HSF and applied
Silver Arctic 5, It's now about 50C .

But i feel that the stock HSF is a bit difficult to install. While i pushed down the fasteners in a diagonal sequence, some fasteners cannnot be pushed down easily.

pagedown

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
THANKS!

Oh.. i found that i applied the silver arctic 5 incorrecly , i spread the
thermal compound using a credit over the CPU surface ! Will it harms my CPU ?

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
No, not at all, the vickers hardness factor of the plastic credit card is way less than that of the aluminium/copper - you can't scratch the heatsink with the credit card. Arctic silver recommends the pea drop and press because that's all that's needed for LGA775 (all the heat is generated in the middle of the heatspreader). Us AMDers have to spread the thermal compound around anyway.

pagedown

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2006
i replaced the stock HSF with coolermaster 48 ( no budget for ASUS VR one , sigh). The idle temp is now around 48C. The heatsink is a bit heavy ! I am using a tower case , i am afraid that it will cause damage to the motherboard. :oops:

Kholonar

Distinguished
May 7, 2006
Well, I think intel says that heatsinks shouldn't be heavier that 600g or something but there are some heatsinks out there (often the best that enthusiasts buy) that are near to 1Kg. Don't worry about it, there's a safety factor built in and I've never heard people reporting problems. If you happen to have a heavy heatsink just be a bit careful when moving your computer around - keep it well secured and avoid shipping it by air at all costs!