authentication problems

After seizing FSMO from demoted DC server and transferring to new DC we
are experiencing authentication problems with Xp,and 98 workstations.
The current fix is to remove from domain and then rejoin.
Is there any way to manually update the workstations so they recognize
the server holding the new FSMO roles
4 answers Last reply
More about authentication problems

    I assume you're seeing some issue with the legacy systems contacting the
    PDCe. Have you tried rebooting? Have you checked the PDC/ domain records
    in WINS?

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    Is the PDC Emulator located in the same AD site where the Win 98 and XP
    machines are experiencing problems? The former can exhibit this strange
    behavior otherwise.

    "gaynster@gmail.com" wrote:

    > After seizing FSMO from demoted DC server and transferring to new DC we
    > are experiencing authentication problems with Xp,and 98 workstations.
    > The current fix is to remove from domain and then rejoin.
    > Is there any way to manually update the workstations so they recognize
    > the server holding the new FSMO roles

    The pdc emulator is in the same active directory and no I've had
    problems with Xp clients.windows nt workstaion and.

    Is the PDC Emulator located in the same AD site as the clients (typically
    same IP subnet / LAN)?

    All clients (Win 2000 and above) will query DNS to find the nearest DC. Per
    default, all DCs are placed under the "Default-First-Site" - can view this
    info using "Active Directory Sites & Services" mmc.

    For legacy clients (pre Win 2000), the PDC Emulator is treated as the PDC of
    the domain. Hence if it is located in another AD site (e.g. must traverse WAN
    link to reach), such clients may have trouble getting authenticated.

    Do let us know if this helps clarify the situation. Thanks!

    Subject: Re: authentication problems 3/8/2005 8:15 AM PST

    The pdc emulator is in the same active directory and no I've had
    problems with Xp clients.windows nt workstaion and.

Authentication Servers Workstations Active Directory Windows