Dymanic Local Administrator / PowerUser

Hello,

I have a Windows 2003 Active Directory network with one domain.
We're planning to roll out Windows XP pc's in te near future (now all
pc's are Windows 98).

What I would like to accomplish is 'dynamic local administrator',
which is derived from Novell ZenWorks (dynamic local user).

I would like a normal user to logon on a Windows XP workstation, at
the moment he/she logs in it must be added to the local
Administrator/Poweruser group and this rights have to be active
immediately. Also at logoff these rights must be removed (or all but
the current user should be removed at logon).

I know I can create a domain group, put all users in them, and connect
the domain group, to all local Administrators groups, but this will
give all the users administrator rights on all pc's simultaneously
(like admin shares).

Also, I could put the user John in the local Adminsitrators group of
his pc, and Peter in his etc. etc. But I have roaming users.

So can anyone please help me.
Thank you.
Stefan
s.petersNOSPAM@NOSPAM.microway.nl
3 answers Last reply
More about dymanic local administrator poweruser

    The only way I know that you could do this was to write two scripts one at
    logon and one at logoff. This would add or remove the users account from
    the local group.

    Check this site I think it is what you are looking for.
    http://windows.stanford.edu/Public/Infrastructure/LocalGroup.html

    "Stefan" <stefanNOSPAM@NOSPAManykey.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Windows 2003 Active Directory network with one domain.
    > We're planning to roll out Windows XP pc's in te near future (now all
    > pc's are Windows 98).
    >
    > What I would like to accomplish is 'dynamic local administrator',
    > which is derived from Novell ZenWorks (dynamic local user).
    >
    > I would like a normal user to logon on a Windows XP workstation, at
    > the moment he/she logs in it must be added to the local
    > Administrator/Poweruser group and this rights have to be active
    > immediately. Also at logoff these rights must be removed (or all but
    > the current user should be removed at logon).
    >
    > I know I can create a domain group, put all users in them, and connect
    > the domain group, to all local Administrators groups, but this will
    > give all the users administrator rights on all pc's simultaneously
    > (like admin shares).
    >
    > Also, I could put the user John in the local Adminsitrators group of
    > his pc, and Peter in his etc. etc. But I have roaming users.
    >
    > So can anyone please help me.
    > Thank you.
    > Stefan
    > s.petersNOSPAM@NOSPAM.microway.nl

    Why does the security token need to be removed after logoff? Is there a
    security risk?

    Thanks,
    Christopher Ransom, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support
    Windows NT/Windows 2000 Directory Services

    "Paul Bergson" wrote:

    > The only way I know that you could do this was to write two scripts one at
    > logon and one at logoff. This would add or remove the users account from
    > the local group.
    >
    > Check this site I think it is what you are looking for.
    > http://windows.stanford.edu/Public/Infrastructure/LocalGroup.html
    >
    > --
    >
    > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

    > "Stefan" <stefanNOSPAM@NOSPAManykey.xs4all.nl> wrote in message
    > > Hello,
    > >
    > > I have a Windows 2003 Active Directory network with one domain.
    > > We're planning to roll out Windows XP pc's in te near future (now all
    > > pc's are Windows 98).
    > >
    > > What I would like to accomplish is 'dynamic local administrator',
    > > which is derived from Novell ZenWorks (dynamic local user).
    > >
    > > I would like a normal user to logon on a Windows XP workstation, at
    > > the moment he/she logs in it must be added to the local
    > > Administrator/Poweruser group and this rights have to be active
    > > immediately. Also at logoff these rights must be removed (or all but
    > > the current user should be removed at logon).
    > >
    > > I know I can create a domain group, put all users in them, and connect
    > > the domain group, to all local Administrators groups, but this will
    > > give all the users administrator rights on all pc's simultaneously
    > > (like admin shares).
    > >
    > > Also, I could put the user John in the local Adminsitrators group of
    > > his pc, and Peter in his etc. etc. But I have roaming users.
    > >
    > > So can anyone please help me.
    > > Thank you.
    > > Stefan
    > > s.petersNOSPAM@NOSPAM.microway.nl

    Actually I don't think that process would work because by the time the logon
    script is run, the user already has their token.

    A possible solution if it fits the security needs is to add the security
    principal INTERACTIVE to the administrators groups. This would make it so anyone
    that logs on interactively would have admin rights.

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    Paul Bergson wrote:
    > The only way I know that you could do this was to write two scripts one at
    > logon and one at logoff. This would add or remove the users account from
    > the local group.
    >
    > Check this site I think it is what you are looking for.
    > http://windows.stanford.edu/Public/Infrastructure/LocalGroup.html

Active Directory Windows