Win2000 Domain upgrade

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 4, 2005 5:53:04 AM

Hi there,
The Windows2003 deployment kit recommends to use a new Windows2003
memberserver to perform a windows2000 domain upgrade.
What are the benefits of this approach compared to an in-place Win2000
domain controller upgrade?
Regards,
Robert.

More about : win2000 domain upgrade

Anonymous
March 4, 2005 10:19:26 AM

"Robert" <Robert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi there,
> The Windows2003 deployment kit recommends to use a new Windows2003
> memberserver to perform a windows2000 domain upgrade.
> What are the benefits of this approach compared to an in-place Win2000
> domain controller upgrade?

I actually like the direct upgrade of the Win2000
DC -- this way you don't have to explicitly run the
ADPrep: ForestPrep and Domain Prep.

They are run as part of the semi-wizard that comes
up to do the upgrade.
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:01:05 PM

One clear advantage is to avoid migrating old configuration errors / settings
that are on the old DC. Another point concerns enhanced security settings in
W2k3 that can only be applied for a fresh install.

There is an excellent article in Windows IT Pro Magazine that gives an
insight into not-so-obvious or hard-to-find info in such an exercise (Dec '04
or Jan '05 issue).

Hope this helps. Do let us know. Thanks.

!