Incorrect SID

Hi All,
i'm looking for help on what will turn out to be a major problem. After an
attempted upgrade from 2000 server to 2003 (hardware incompatibility) and
subsequent restore my exchange 2003 server will not replicate with the other
3 DCs on my network. It looks like the SID has been corrupted on the exchange
server, this means that for now i have to manually change passwords etc on it
to match any changes on the network. It also mean i cannot create any new
containers etc. Any thoughts on how i can fix this would be most appreciated.

TIA

"Bill Phillips" <Bill Phillips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
> i'm looking for help on what will turn out to be a major problem. After an
> attempted upgrade from 2000 server to 2003 (hardware incompatibility) and
> subsequent restore my exchange 2003 server will not replicate with the
other
> 3 DCs on my network.

FYI: The way to fix the hardware problems are
to perform a "repair install" from the CDROM.

> It looks like the SID has been corrupted on the exchange
> server, this means that for now i have to manually change passwords etc on
it
> to match any changes on the network.

Most probably the computer password was changed
between the backup and restore. Have you tried
RESETING the computer account in AD (users &
compupter or with DSMod, etc.)?

> It also mean i cannot create any new
> containers etc. Any thoughts on how i can fix this would be most
appreciated.

try to rejoin your server to the domain.

--
Andrei Ungureanu
www.eventid.net

"Andrei Ungureanu" <andreix at msn dot com> wrote in message
> try to rejoin your server to the domain.

BEFORE you do this, try RESETTING the
computer account.

They added this so that computer SIDs would
not be lost/changed when you have to straighten
out a computer account.

It works 99 times out of a 100, but sometimes
you must unjoin/rejoin the domain.

--
Herb Martin

> --
> Andrei Ungureanu
> www.eventid.net
> Free Windows event logs reports
> http://www.altairtech.ca/evlog/

> > "Bill Phillips" <Bill Phillips@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message
> >> Hi All,
> >> i'm looking for help on what will turn out to be a major problem. After
> >> an
> >> attempted upgrade from 2000 server to 2003 (hardware incompatibility)
and
> >> subsequent restore my exchange 2003 server will not replicate with the
> > other
> >> 3 DCs on my network.
> >
> > FYI: The way to fix the hardware problems are
> > to perform a "repair install" from the CDROM.
> >
> >> It looks like the SID has been corrupted on the exchange
> >> server, this means that for now i have to manually change passwords etc
> >> on
> > it
> >> to match any changes on the network.
> >
> > Most probably the computer password was changed
> > between the backup and restore. Have you tried
> > RESETING the computer account in AD (users &
> > compupter or with DSMod, etc.)?
> >
> >> It also mean i cannot create any new
> >> containers etc. Any thoughts on how i can fix this would be most
> > appreciated.

Barry

Bill Phillips wrote:
> Hi All,
> i'm looking for help on what will turn out to be a major problem. After an
> attempted upgrade from 2000 server to 2003 (hardware incompatibility) and
> subsequent restore my exchange 2003 server will not replicate with the other
> 3 DCs on my network. It looks like the SID has been corrupted on the exchange
> server, this means that for now i have to manually change passwords etc on it
> to match any changes on the network. It also mean i cannot create any new
> containers etc. Any thoughts on how i can fix this would be most appreciated.
>
> TIA

try:
<http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q260575>