canon i960

Is it possible to still print in black when color cartriges are used up
on the Canon i960, if so, how?

BURT

With a much older canon printer that my wife used only for printing emails
and web site info in gray scale we just let the color ink run out and never
replaced it. We continued to print in black for years. I then wanted to
have her print in color and installed color carts, ran a few cleaning
cycles, and it did print in color. Photos, however, didn't print with
correct colors. Probably it had color jet damage or considerable blockage
from running them dry and leaving them without ink for years. I would guess
that if your printer continued to function whent he color inks ran dry you
could continue to print in black, but I wouldn't suggest it if you ever want
to print color again. I use the I960 as well. If my printing was primarily
black text I would want to preserve the option to do an occasional color
print. I would use aftermarket cartridges that others have reported good
success with. I would absolutely use aftermarket carts (or refill) if I
were printing primarily black text as there would be little, if any,
difference in color tone from one vendors black to another for text
purposes. For black and white photo printing, however, some aftermarket
black inks have been reported to have an unsuitable color caste. If you want
more information on aftermarket inks check
www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff and
www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ .

herbzee" <her.ky@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Is it possible to still print in black when color cartriges are used up on
> the Canon i960, if so, how?

Hi Burt,thanx for the prompt reply. Very informative-but how to avoid
the warning screen that certain color cartriges are empty, this does not
allow me to continue. Plus hpw can I get the Icon back in the tray so I
can get to the status monitor? I'd appreciate ur help. cheers-Herb.

Burt wrote:
> With a much older canon printer that my wife used only for printing emails
> and web site info in gray scale we just let the color ink run out and never
> replaced it. We continued to print in black for years. I then wanted to
> have her print in color and installed color carts, ran a few cleaning
> cycles, and it did print in color. Photos, however, didn't print with
> correct colors. Probably it had color jet damage or considerable blockage
> from running them dry and leaving them without ink for years. I would guess
> that if your printer continued to function whent he color inks ran dry you
> could continue to print in black, but I wouldn't suggest it if you ever want
> to print color again. I use the I960 as well. If my printing was primarily
> black text I would want to preserve the option to do an occasional color
> print. I would use aftermarket cartridges that others have reported good
> success with. I would absolutely use aftermarket carts (or refill) if I
> were printing primarily black text as there would be little, if any,
> difference in color tone from one vendors black to another for text
> purposes. For black and white photo printing, however, some aftermarket
> black inks have been reported to have an unsuitable color caste. If you want
> more information on aftermarket inks check
> www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff and
> www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ .
>
> herbzee" <her.ky@verizon.net> wrote in message
>
>>Is it possible to still print in black when color cartriges are used up on
>>the Canon i960, if so, how?

"herbzee" <her.ky@verizon.net> wrote in message
> Is it possible to still print in black when color cartriges are used up on
> the Canon i960, if so, how?

On my S630 there's a "Greyscale Printing" check box on Control
Panel>Printers and Faxes>"Printer Type">Printing Preferences. Is it
different on your newer model?

--
Derek

BURT

The status monitor is started in the maintenance screen, one of which tabbed
screens is available when you click preferences in the driver software. I
don't use the monitor as it is not that accurate regarding ink levels, and I
check the carts periodically to refill them. Someone may be able to post a
message to you that would tell you how to have the status monitor activated
on startup, but I've never done that. Since I have not permitted a cart to
run out of ink I didn't know if the printer would stop working if an ink
cart ran out. In my wife's old canon printer we just closed the warning
window about ink levels low or out and it permitted her to keep printing.
Wish I could be more informative on these questions. For a little more than
two dollars apiece you can buy Alotofthings Arrow cartridges or Wiredbeans
cartridges and still have the option to print things in color without
worrying about the ink out problem.

> Hi Burt,thanx for the prompt reply. Very informative-but how to avoid the
> warning screen that certain color cartriges are empty, this does not allow
> me to continue. Plus hpw can I get the Icon back in the tray so I can get
> to the status monitor? I'd appreciate ur help. cheers-Herb.
>
> Burt wrote:
>> With a much older canon printer that my wife used only for printing
>> emails and web site info in gray scale we just let the color ink run out
>> and never replaced it. We continued to print in black for years. I then
>> wanted to have her print in color and installed color carts, ran a few
>> cleaning cycles, and it did print in color. Photos, however, didn't
>> print with correct colors. Probably it had color jet damage or
>> considerable blockage from running them dry and leaving them without ink
>> for years. I would guess that if your printer continued to function whent
>> he color inks ran dry you could continue to print in black, but I
>> wouldn't suggest it if you ever want to print color again. I use the
>> I960 as well. If my printing was primarily black text I would want to
>> preserve the option to do an occasional color print. I would use
>> aftermarket cartridges that others have reported good success with. I
>> would absolutely use aftermarket carts (or refill) if I were printing
>> primarily black text as there would be little, if any, difference in
>> color tone from one vendors black to another for text purposes. For black
>> and white photo printing, however, some aftermarket black inks have been
>> reported to have an unsuitable color caste. If you want more information
>> on aftermarket inks check www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff and
>> www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ .
>>
>> herbzee" <her.ky@verizon.net> wrote in message
>>
>>>Is it possible to still print in black when color cartriges are used up
>>>on the Canon i960, if so, how?

Thanx Burt.
cheers-Herb.

herbzee wrote:

> Is it possible to still print in black when color cartriges are used
> up on the Canon i960, if so, how?

Only if you want to ruin the print head.

Tony

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2001

measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

>herbzee wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to still print in black when color cartriges are used
>> up on the Canon i960, if so, how?
>

>Only if you want to ruin the print head.

Tony wrote:
The printheads are actually seperate for each ink tank, sure it looks like a
single head and it is a single head "module" but there are discreet heads (or
sets of nozzles) for each colour including black. 6 heads in all.
So measekites's answer is misleading. It is extremely unlikely that the black
printhead will be damaged if the colour tanks run out, the colour heads will be
however, eventually. It appears that this printer does not allow you to print
with an empty tank, some newer HP's do allow that (remember that the head is
replaced when you replace the ink tank in most but not all HP inkjets).
However this is not the issue and does not address the original question. See
Burt's excellent advice.
Tony

Tony wrote:

>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>herbzee wrote:
>>

>>>Is it possible to still print in black when color cartriges are used
>>>up on the Canon i960, if so, how?
>>>

>>Only if you want to ruin the print head.
>>

>Tony wrote:
>The printheads are actually seperate for each ink tank, sure it looks like a
>single head and it is a single head "module" but there are discreet heads (or
>sets of nozzles) for each colour including black. 6 heads in all.
>So measekites's answer is misleading. It is extremely unlikely that the black
>printhead will be damaged if the colour tanks run out, the colour heads will be
>however, eventually. It appears that this printer does not allow you to print
>with an empty tank, some newer HP's do allow that (remember that the head is
>replaced when you replace the ink tank in most but not all HP inkjets).
>However this is not the issue and does not address the original question. See
>Burt's excellent advice.
>Tony

Do not listen to the repairman. You will ruin the printhead and the
printer will not longer function in the future in the way it was
designed to function. If all you want is a B/W text printer you will be
better off with an inexpensive laser. Be careful what you read in this
NG. There are many hawkers and tinkerer hobbyists whose advice are suspect.

BURT

Herbzee - I'm afraid that Measekite is speaking without as much experience
as Tony on this issue. Since you already own the i960 and choose to print
black only with it you should do so. No need to buy another printer at this
point. I would still consider buying cheap carts to just keep the color
jets functioning at extremely low cost. Also this would lower your text
printing cost. You can set up your printer to default to gray scale
printing and plain paper so you do not have to do that for each printing
session. You will still use color ink in the cleaning cycles on power up
and periodically when the printer automatically runs these cycles, but your
use will be minimal and at very low cost with third party carts. From my
experience with an older Canon printer I can tell you that letting the color
carts run out did not harm the black portion of the print head.

> Tony wrote:
>
>>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>Only if you want to ruin the print head.
>>>

>>Tony wrote:
>>The printheads are actually seperate for each ink tank, sure it looks like
>>a single head and it is a single head "module" but there are discreet
>>heads (or sets of nozzles) for each colour including black. 6 heads in
>>all.
>>So measekites's answer is misleading. It is extremely unlikely that the
>>black printhead will be damaged if the colour tanks run out, the colour
>>heads will be however, eventually. It appears that this printer does not
>>allow you to print with an empty tank, some newer HP's do allow that
>>(remember that the head is replaced when you replace the ink tank in most
>>but not all HP inkjets). However this is not the issue and does not
>>address the original question. See Burt's excellent advice.
>>Tony
>>

> Do not listen to the repairman. You will ruin the printhead and the
> printer will not longer function in the future in the way it was designed
> to function. If all you want is a B/W text printer you will be better off
> with an inexpensive laser. Be careful what you read in this NG. There
> are many hawkers and tinkerer hobbyists whose advice are suspect.

> Tony wrote:
>
>>measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>>Only if you want to ruin the print head.
>>>

>>Tony wrote:
>>The printheads are actually seperate for each ink tank, sure it looks like
>>a single head and it is a single head "module" but there are discreet
>>heads (or sets of nozzles) for each colour including black. 6 heads in
>>all.
>>So measekites's answer is misleading. It is extremely unlikely that the
>>black printhead will be damaged if the colour tanks run out, the colour
>>heads will be however, eventually. It appears that this printer does not
>>allow you to print with an empty tank, some newer HP's do allow that
>>(remember that the head is replaced when you replace the ink tank in most
>>but not all HP inkjets). However this is not the issue and does not
>>address the original question. See Burt's excellent advice.
>>Tony
>>

> Do not listen to the repairman. You will ruin the printhead and the
> printer will not longer function in the future in the way it was designed
> to function. If all you want is a B/W text printer you will be better off
> with an inexpensive laser. Be careful what you read in this NG. There
> are many hawkers and tinkerer hobbyists whose advice are suspect.

How will the printhead be ruined?

--
Derek

Derek Baker wrote:

>>Tony wrote:

>>>Tony wrote:
>>>The printheads are actually seperate for each ink tank, sure it looks like
>>>a single head and it is a single head "module" but there are discreet
>>>heads (or sets of nozzles) for each colour including black. 6 heads in
>>>all.
>>>So measekites's answer is misleading. It is extremely unlikely that the
>>>black printhead will be damaged if the colour tanks run out, the colour
>>>heads will be however, eventually. It appears that this printer does not
>>>allow you to print with an empty tank, some newer HP's do allow that
>>>(remember that the head is replaced when you replace the ink tank in most
>>>but not all HP inkjets). However this is not the issue and does not
>>>address the original question. See Burt's excellent advice.
>>>Tony
>>>

>>Do not listen to the repairman. You will ruin the printhead and the
>>printer will not longer function in the future in the way it was designed
>>to function. If all you want is a B/W text printer you will be better off
>>with an inexpensive laser. Be careful what you read in this NG. There
>>are many hawkers and tinkerer hobbyists whose advice are suspect.
>>

>How will the printhead be ruined?

Running a printehead without all of the ink carts loaded with ink will
burn those nozzles that represent the dry cart and will not work
properly in the future.

Burt wrote:

>Herbzee - I'm afraid that Measekite is speaking without as much experience
>as Tony on this issue.

Thats Tony the Tiger Repaiman whos view are slanted because he makes
money in this business.

>Since you already own the i960 and choose to print
>black only with it you should do so. No need to buy another printer at this
>point. I would still consider buying cheap carts to just keep the color
>jets functioning at extremely low cost. Also this would lower your text
>printing cost. You can set up your printer to default to gray scale
>printing and plain paper so you do not have to do that for each printing
>session. You will still use color ink in the cleaning cycles on power up
>and periodically when the printer automatically runs these cycles, but your
>use will be minimal and at very low cost with third party carts. From my
>experience with an older Canon printer I can tell you that letting the color
>carts run out did not harm the black portion of the print head.

Nobody is disputing that. Why ruin a good printer if you do not have
to. These people in this NG think printers are tinker toys.

>>Tony wrote:

>>>Tony wrote:
>>>The printheads are actually seperate for each ink tank, sure it looks like
>>>a single head and it is a single head "module" but there are discreet
>>>heads (or sets of nozzles) for each colour including black. 6 heads in
>>>all.
>>>So measekites's answer is misleading. It is extremely unlikely that the
>>>black printhead will be damaged if the colour tanks run out, the colour
>>>heads will be however, eventually. It appears that this printer does not
>>>allow you to print with an empty tank, some newer HP's do allow that
>>>(remember that the head is replaced when you replace the ink tank in most
>>>but not all HP inkjets). However this is not the issue and does not
>>>address the original question. See Burt's excellent advice.
>>>Tony
>>>

>>Do not listen to the repairman. You will ruin the printhead and the
>>printer will not longer function in the future in the way it was designed
>>to function. If all you want is a B/W text printer you will be better off
>>with an inexpensive laser. Be careful what you read in this NG. There
>>are many hawkers and tinkerer hobbyists whose advice are suspect.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> Burt wrote:
>
>> Herbzee - I'm afraid that Measekite is speaking without as much
>> experience as Tony on this issue.
>

> Thats Tony the Tiger Repaiman whos view are slanted because he makes
> money in this business.
>
>> Since you already own the i960 and choose to print black only with it
>> you should do so. No need to buy another printer at this point. I
>> would still consider buying cheap carts to just keep the color jets
>> functioning at extremely low cost. Also this would lower your text
>> printing cost. You can set up your printer to default to gray scale
>> printing and plain paper so you do not have to do that for each
>> printing session. You will still use color ink in the cleaning cycles
>> on power up and periodically when the printer automatically runs these
>> cycles, but your use will be minimal and at very low cost with third
>> party carts. From my experience with an older Canon printer I can
>> tell you that letting the color carts run out did not harm the black
>> portion of the print head.
>>

> Nobody is disputing that. Why ruin a good printer if you do not have
> to. These people in this NG think printers are tinker toys.
>
>> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> Do not listen to the repairman. You will ruin the printhead and the
>>> printer will not longer function in the future in the way it was
>>> designed to function. If all you want is a B/W text printer you will
>>> be better off with an inexpensive laser. Be careful what you read in
>>> this NG. There are many hawkers and tinkerer hobbyists whose advice
>>> are suspect.

Wrong again bird brain. That's Tony the repairman who has actual
experience versus you, a no nothing moron.
Frank

BURT

The canon i960 street price during closeout sales was about $100 after
rebates. Not exactly a budget breaker. For the few new ones still in the
pipeline they are now around $150. If the man owns one and just wants to
print with black ink the worst case is that he will be out the $100 cost,
even if he were to destroy the printer. If he just keeps third party
functional carts in the printer at minimal cost he solves all the problems
you suggest. He keeps the entire printer functioning, lowers his cost of
text printing, and enjoys the use of a printer he already owns. If he wants
to be a big shooter like you he can buy an IP4000, street price now about
$100, to replace the i960 when it dies. Of course, that may be a few years
from now and there may be newer and better units available. Although your
favorite printer has duplexing, I prefer the I960 as it is a six color
printer with more subtle shading and it only uses dye based inks which have
excellent third party replacements. As I recall,someone on this NG has
posted that the pigmented black ink for the IP4000 printer is fine also.
Herbzee, if you are still following this thread, if you have let any of the
carts go dry and want to follow my suggestions, you may have clogged one or
more of your jets. Go on www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff
for info on cleaning print heads and third party inks and
www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ if you are interested in learning more about
inkjet inks and cartridges in general and Canon in particular.

> Burt wrote:
>
>>Herbzee - I'm afraid that Measekite is speaking without as much experience
>>as Tony on this issue.
>
> Thats Tony the Tiger Repaiman whos view are slanted because he makes money
> in this business.
>
>>Since you already own the i960 and choose to print black only with it you
>>should do so. No need to buy another printer at this point. I would
>>still consider buying cheap carts to just keep the color jets functioning
>>at extremely low cost. Also this would lower your text printing cost.
>>You can set up your printer to default to gray scale printing and plain
>>paper so you do not have to do that for each printing session. You will
>>still use color ink in the cleaning cycles on power up and periodically
>>when the printer automatically runs these cycles, but your use will be
>>minimal and at very low cost with third party carts. From my experience
>>with an older Canon printer I can tell you that letting the color carts
>>run out did not harm the black portion of the print head.
>>

> Nobody is disputing that. Why ruin a good printer if you do not have to.
> These people in this NG think printers are tinker toys.
>
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>Do not listen to the repairman. You will ruin the printhead and the
>>>printer will not longer function in the future in the way it was designed
>>>to function. If all you want is a B/W text printer you will be better
>>>off with an inexpensive laser. Be careful what you read in this NG.
>>>There are many hawkers and tinkerer hobbyists whose advice are suspect.

> Do not listen to the repairman. You will ruin the printhead and the
> printer will not longer function in the future in the way it was
> designed to function. If all you want is a B/W text printer you will be
> better off with an inexpensive laser. Be careful what you read in this
> NG. There are many hawkers and tinkerer hobbyists whose advice are
> suspect.

Coming from you, this is one of the most outrageous and laughable
statements I've heard in ages on this newsgroup, and that's saying
something.

Just what authority do you make such an outlandish comment from? Your
authority seems to revolve around having owned one HP and one Canon
printer, which you've had less than six months, and which you have
printed some number of 4 x 6" prints.

The vast majority of your postings (the ones that aren't just offensive
and immature insults and "dirty sexual" comments that even my wife
doesn't hear from her elementary school age students) are often
completely inaccurate. Further, your brand loyalty isn't based upon any
facts, only your personal liking of a product you only recently bought.

And as to your having somehow (in an earlier posting) equated your flag
waving of Canon printers to mine of Epson, that is truly one of the most
absurd comments I have EVER heard. Many of my postings in numerous
newsgroups are very critical of Epson products, designs and corporate
philosophy. If I make a positive statement about Epson you can be sure
it was well considered and has voracity behind it, because I scrutinize
anything they do with considerable analysis before considering backing it.

I have no affiliation with Epson, I have never received any perk or SWAG
or even discounted goods from them. And I have been on top of their
products for 10 years now. They won't even acknowledge me, because that
would involve their recognizing that inkjet printer heads clog, and
attention beyond using the cleaning utility is required to fix it,
something they would rather not have publicly considered. Lastly, I
keep Epson printers running that I am sure Epson would like to see long
dead and buried. After a year, Epson probably would be very happy to
have their inkjet printers tossed into a garbage bin and a new one
purchased. I find this business model offensive and unacceptable, in
any product, and any inkjet printer company. It is way too much
technology, materials and manufacturing and shipping to just be tossed
away like it had no value and had a neutral approach on the environment,
neither of which is true. I feel similarly about refilling, cartridges
with chips, waste ink pads which consider having it user replaceable, etc.

Just because you can generate dozens of emails a day in this newsgroups
doesn't give their content any value at all. If you stuck to things you
actually knew something about, and provided some learned comments from
your experience of knowledge, that would have value here, and we
wouldn't need to swim through so much sewerage to find the occasional
trinket.

Art
measekite wrote:

> Tony wrote:
>
>> measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Only if you want to ruin the print head.
>>>

>> Tony wrote:
>> The printheads are actually seperate for each ink tank, sure it looks
>> like a single head and it is a single head "module" but there are
>> discreet heads (or sets of nozzles) for each colour including black. 6
>> heads in all.
>> So measekites's answer is misleading. It is extremely unlikely that
>> the black printhead will be damaged if the colour tanks run out, the
>> colour heads will be however, eventually. It appears that this printer
>> does not allow you to print with an empty tank, some newer HP's do
>> allow that (remember that the head is replaced when you replace the
>> ink tank in most but not all HP inkjets). However this is not the
>> issue and does not address the original question. See Burt's excellent
>> advice.
>> Tony
>>

> Do not listen to the repairman. You will ruin the printhead and the
> printer will not longer function in the future in the way it was
> designed to function. If all you want is a B/W text printer you will be
> better off with an inexpensive laser. Be careful what you read in this
> NG. There are many hawkers and tinkerer hobbyists whose advice are
> suspect.

This is definitely true of a thermal printer head over time (used with
most consumer inkjet printers). The same is not true of a piezo head
(used on all Epson inkjet and most professional inkjet printers).

Art

measekite wrote:

>> How will the printhead be ruined?
>>

> Running a printehead without all of the ink carts loaded with ink will
> burn those nozzles that represent the dry cart and will not work
> properly in the future.

> Thats Tony the Tiger Repaiman whos view are slanted because he makes
> money in this business.

And they just keep coming... a professional is usually someone who
makes money in his business. He is called a professional because he has
considerable experience and knowledge and expertise in his area, and
most, although not all, people like that get paid for their work.

Your statement actually helps to explain why you feel you can shoot off
at the "mouth" as if you know what you are speaking of, because you
quite perversely believe people who have a lot of basic ignorance and
little if any experience in a subject are the only people you can trust
because, they aren't professionals.

Tony may, and probably does, have personal and business biases, but I
very much doubt he'd have ANY reason to skew his statistics for that,
and I can't think of any manner he would benefit from distorting things.
If anything, he would probably hope to prove himself to be trustworthy
by offering good advice on line to garner more support, making his
clients more at ease about bringing their printers to him. You seem to
live in some completely backward world where complete neophytes are
considered authorities and professionals whose livelihood depends upon
their knowledge of an area are not to be trusted because they make
"money" from what they do.

Next time you have a car problem, I suggest you speak to a chiropractor
about it.

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> > Do not listen to the repairman. You will ruin the printhead and the
> > printer will not longer function in the future in the way it was
> > designed to function. If all you want is a B/W text printer you
> will be
> > better off with an inexpensive laser. Be careful what you read in this
> > NG. There are many hawkers and tinkerer hobbyists whose advice are
> > suspect.
>
> Coming from you, this is one of the most outrageous and laughable
> statements I've heard in ages on this newsgroup, and that's saying
> something.
>
> Just what authority do you make such an outlandish comment from? Your
> authority seems to revolve around having owned one HP and one Canon
> printer, which you've had less than six months,

One Canon but 500 HP Printers.

> and which you have printed some number of 4 x 6" prints.
>
> The vast majority of your postings (the ones that aren't just
> offensive and immature insults and "dirty sexual" comments that even
> my wife doesn't hear from her elementary school age students) are
> often completely inaccurate. Further, your brand loyalty isn't based
> upon any facts, only your personal liking of a product you only
> recently bought.

I like my HP just like I like the Canon but for different reasons. For
pure business documents I like HP but for the best compromise of both
phot and business it is the Canon. If I sold my prints then I might
consider a printer that produces pigmented ink prints like the R1800.
Then the customer would pay for all of the ink guzzling.

Face it, the Epson is the Hummer of the printer industry.

> And as to your having somehow (in an earlier posting) equated your
> flag waving of Canon printers to mine of Epson, that is truly one of
> the most absurd comments I have EVER heard. Many of my postings in
> numerous newsgroups are very critical of Epson products, designs and
> corporate philosophy.

I am also critical of Canon's prices for replacement printheads and ink.

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> > Thats Tony the Tiger Repaiman whos view are slanted because he makes
> > money in this business.
> >

> And they just keep coming... a professional is usually someone who
> makes money in his business. He is called a professional because he
> has considerable experience and knowledge and expertise in his area,
> and most, although not all, people like that get paid for their work.
>
> Your statement actually helps to explain why you feel you can shoot
> off at the "mouth" as if you know what you are speaking of, because
> you quite perversely believe people who have a lot of basic ignorance
> and little if any experience in a subject are the only people you can
> trust because, they aren't professionals.
>
> Tony may, and probably does, have personal and business biases,

Then Tony da Tiger should, from the beginning, disclosed he makes money
in this business and does have business biases. Not pass him off as
just a regular person with an opinion like yourself.

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> One Canon but 500 HP Printers.
>>
> More like 1 hp and 1 canon, right?
> Frank

You are the Right ...............................Cheek