7900GT - but no HDR/SM3 tests in 3dmark06???

armstronga

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
Experts,

I have a Gainward 7900GT 512Mb. Have installed the official Nvidia 91.31 drivers. However in 3dmark06 the HDR/SM3 tests are greyed out in the 'Options' dialog.

I cannot seem to force 3dmark to run these two tests.

What gives? Is there any definitive way to tell if HDR, and more importantly SM3, are supported?

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
Experts,

I have a Gainward 7900GT 512Mb. Have installed the official Nvidia 91.31 drivers. However in 3dmark06 the HDR/SM3 tests are greyed out in the 'Options' dialog.

I cannot seem to force 3dmark to run these two tests.

What gives? Is there any definitive way to tell if HDR, and more importantly SM3, are supported?

I have a Gainward 7900GT 512Mb

No...you don't.
No such card.

Could it have been a typo (both brand and model)?
Are you trying to run tests that the card you do have can't run?
Does it really matter as long as the card you do have runs better than anything you ever owned up to now?
Have you bothered to read the manual/specs of whatever card you really have to see what it states it supports?

I have a Gainward 7900GT 512Mb

No...you don't.
No such card.

Yes there is;
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Online_Catalogue_This_Week_Only_25.html#aGX_2d033_2dGW

Could it have been a typo (both brand and model)?

Nope.

Are you trying to run tests that the card you do have can't run?
Does it really matter as long as the card you do have runs better than anything you ever owned up to now?

Sure, the main point of 3Dmk is to trouble shoot issues, if it didn't work there was an issue, which he was able to fix after re-installing the drivers. Who knows how that would've affected games, but when you see things like that it goood to find out why.

Have you bothered to read the manual/specs of whatever card you really have to see what it states it supports?

Why would there be a GF7900 series card that doesn't support SM3.0 in 3Dmark? I could see the GF7300 not supporting OpenEXRHDR like the GF6200/6300, but nV didn't cut out the low end ROPs, so no GF7 series card should fail to enable those tests.

Fury_01

Distinguished
May 10, 2006
I had a similar problem with a 7600 GT i purchased. It turned out to be a fault in the GPU. Maybe u should explore that avenue, by returning it to your supplier.

fainis

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2006
ya....it could be faulty ...but i have a hint...
what if the driver you have just installed 91.xx has AA set on by default to a certain level...or other option which blocks the hdr ...worths trying..
samething like vertical sync (this blocks TemporalAA for radeons) or samething else....just take a look in the detonator settings and tweek them out.....
a faulty card is less probable but ...... i think is a setting in that driver

good luck