Sign-in / Sign-up
Your question

disable inactive computer accounts in AD

Tags:
  • Computers
  • Microsoft
  • Active Directory
  • Windows
Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Anonymous
March 4, 2005 6:57:23 PM

Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
inactive computer accounts in AD
Thanks,
John

More about : disable inactive computer accounts

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 2:05:01 AM

DSQuery and DSRM utilities should help.

DSQUERY computer domainroot stalepwd 90 -d domain.com > staleCompAccts.txt
TYPE staleCompAccts.txt | DSRM -d domain.com -noprompt

Thanks,
Christopher Ransom, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support
Windows NT/Windows 2000 Directory Services

"John Strow" wrote:

> Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
> inactive computer accounts in AD
> Thanks,
> John

Anonymous
March 5, 2005 1:58:10 PM

Take a look at oldcmp at www.joeware.net.

It blows dsquery out of the water for this kind of cleanup.

joe

www.joeware.net

John Strow wrote:
> Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
> inactive computer accounts in AD
> Thanks,
> John

March 8, 2005 5:59:09 PM

Actually i need these computers accounts to be discovered, disabled and
moved to disabled_accounts OU

Will DSquery, DSmod and DSmove work in Windows 2000 AD

Thanks,

John

"CHRRAN" <CHRRAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> DSQuery and DSRM utilities should help.
>
> DSQUERY computer domainroot stalepwd 90 -d domain.com > staleCompAccts.txt
> TYPE staleCompAccts.txt | DSRM -d domain.com -noprompt
>
> Thanks,
> Christopher Ransom, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
> Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support
> Windows NT/Windows 2000 Directory Services
>

> "John Strow" wrote:
>
> > Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
> > inactive computer accounts in AD
> > Thanks,
> > John

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 11:19:25 AM

Does anyone use this tool in enterprise environment. Is it recommended by
Microsoft. Any testimonials?

Thanks,

John

"Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o gTciwZIFHA.2656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Take a look at oldcmp at www.joeware.net.
>
> It blows dsquery out of the water for this kind of cleanup.
>
> joe
>
> --
> Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
> www.joeware.net
>

> John Strow wrote:
> > Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
> > inactive computer accounts in AD
> > Thanks,
> > John

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:40:42 AM

I've used this tool in medium-large production environments on several
occasions.

Joe's recommendation's good enough for me...

He does a lot of the technical evaluations for the advanced MS books...

Loads of us here use it A LOT. Trust us ;-)

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/
Anonymous
March 12, 2005 2:15:16 AM

I can second this. I have used in many many many production environment.
Read any of the posts that Joe makes. Like Paul said, if Joe recommends it
then that is all I need. If Joe wrote the application then you can bet that
I am going to use it. He has a lot of really good applications on his web
site. You might want to take a spin over there. ADFIND is another pretty
neat application.

--
Cary W. Shultz
Roanoke, VA 24014

http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

"ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've used this tool in medium-large production environments on several
> occasions.
>
> Joe's recommendation's good enough for me...
>
> He does a lot of the technical evaluations for the advanced MS books...
>
> Loads of us here use it A LOT. Trust us ;-)
>

> --
>
> Paul Williams
>
> http://www.msresource.net/
> http://forums.msresource.net/

Anonymous
March 19, 2005 5:05:11 AM

Thanks Cary and Paul.

I can say that I have many Fortune 500 companies using the tool. At least one
Fortune 5 company using it on a regular basis. Several State governments and
some militaries as well. I believe the US government is using it in a few
departments but I am not positive as the guy wasn't clear if he was just using
it for reporting or reporting and cleaning up. A couple of energy companies and
a multiple manufacturing companies.

In the end it is up to the person who is responsible as to whether or not the
tool will be used. I recommend testing it in a lab and definitely doing the
report function and not using -forreal for a bit in production prior to
unleashing it to disable and delete things so that you have a good feel for it.

joe

www.joeware.net

Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP] wrote:
> I can second this. I have used in many many many production environment.
> Read any of the posts that Joe makes. Like Paul said, if Joe recommends it
> then that is all I need. If Joe wrote the application then you can bet that
> I am going to use it. He has a lot of really good applications on his web
> site. You might want to take a spin over there. ADFIND is another pretty
> neat application.

March 1, 2012 12:29:05 AM

Quote:

Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
inactive computer accounts in AD
Thanks,
John

Netwrix inactive users tracker should do the trick for you. The tool automatically detects, reports and deactivates all user accounts that have been inactive for a specified number of days. I know they also offer a freeware version that detects and reports on inactive accounts, but doesn’t automatically deactivate them.