disable inactive computer accounts in AD

Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
inactive computer accounts in AD
Thanks,
John
8 answers Last reply
More about disable inactive computer accounts

    DSQuery and DSRM utilities should help.

    DSQUERY computer domainroot stalepwd 90 -d domain.com > staleCompAccts.txt
    TYPE staleCompAccts.txt | DSRM -d domain.com -noprompt

    Thanks,
    Christopher Ransom, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support
    Windows NT/Windows 2000 Directory Services

    "John Strow" wrote:

    > Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
    > inactive computer accounts in AD
    > Thanks,
    > John

    Take a look at oldcmp at www.joeware.net.

    It blows dsquery out of the water for this kind of cleanup.

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    John Strow wrote:
    > Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
    > inactive computer accounts in AD
    > Thanks,
    > John

    Actually i need these computers accounts to be discovered, disabled and
    moved to disabled_accounts OU

    Will DSquery, DSmod and DSmove work in Windows 2000 AD

    Thanks,

    John

    "CHRRAN" <CHRRAN@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > DSQuery and DSRM utilities should help.
    >
    > DSQUERY computer domainroot stalepwd 90 -d domain.com > staleCompAccts.txt
    > TYPE staleCompAccts.txt | DSRM -d domain.com -noprompt
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Christopher Ransom, MCSE 2000/2003, MCSA 2000/2003, CCNA
    > Microsoft Enterprise Platforms Support
    > Windows NT/Windows 2000 Directory Services
    >

    > "John Strow" wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
    > > inactive computer accounts in AD
    > > Thanks,
    > > John

    Does anyone use this tool in enterprise environment. Is it recommended by
    Microsoft. Any testimonials?

    Thanks,

    John

    "Joe Richards [MVP]" <humorexpress@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Take a look at oldcmp at www.joeware.net.
    >
    > It blows dsquery out of the water for this kind of cleanup.
    >
    > joe
    >
    > --
    > Joe Richards Microsoft MVP Windows Server Directory Services
    > www.joeware.net
    >

    > John Strow wrote:
    > > Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
    > > inactive computer accounts in AD
    > > Thanks,
    > > John

    I've used this tool in medium-large production environments on several
    occasions.

    Joe's recommendation's good enough for me...

    He does a lot of the technical evaluations for the advanced MS books...

    Loads of us here use it A LOT. Trust us ;-)

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/

    I can second this. I have used in many many many production environment.
    Read any of the posts that Joe makes. Like Paul said, if Joe recommends it
    then that is all I need. If Joe wrote the application then you can bet that
    I am going to use it. He has a lot of really good applications on his web
    site. You might want to take a spin over there. ADFIND is another pretty
    neat application.

    --
    Cary W. Shultz
    Roanoke, VA 24014

    http://www.activedirectory-win2000.com
    http://www.grouppolicy-win2000.com

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've used this tool in medium-large production environments on several
    > occasions.
    >
    > Joe's recommendation's good enough for me...
    >
    > He does a lot of the technical evaluations for the advanced MS books...
    >
    > Loads of us here use it A LOT. Trust us ;-)
    >

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Thanks Cary and Paul.

    I can say that I have many Fortune 500 companies using the tool. At least one
    Fortune 5 company using it on a regular basis. Several State governments and
    some militaries as well. I believe the US government is using it in a few
    departments but I am not positive as the guy wasn't clear if he was just using
    it for reporting or reporting and cleaning up. A couple of energy companies and
    a multiple manufacturing companies.

    In the end it is up to the person who is responsible as to whether or not the
    tool will be used. I recommend testing it in a lab and definitely doing the
    report function and not using -forreal for a bit in production prior to
    unleashing it to disable and delete things so that you have a good feel for it.

    joe

    www.joeware.net

    Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP] wrote:
    > I can second this. I have used in many many many production environment.
    > Read any of the posts that Joe makes. Like Paul said, if Joe recommends it
    > then that is all I need. If Joe wrote the application then you can bet that
    > I am going to use it. He has a lot of really good applications on his web
    > site. You might want to take a spin over there. ADFIND is another pretty
    > neat application.

  8. Quote:

    Does anyone have simle tool (cript) to discover and disable or delete
    inactive computer accounts in AD
    Thanks,
    John

    Netwrix inactive users tracker should do the trick for you. The tool automatically detects, reports and deactivates all user accounts that have been inactive for a specified number of days. I know they also offer a freeware version that detects and reports on inactive accounts, but doesn’t automatically deactivate them.

Computers Microsoft Active Directory Windows