Sign in with
Your question

Measuring the temperature

Last response: in Overclocking
July 9, 2006 9:27:06 PM

I have considerable experience building and upgrading computers, but I'm about to undertake my *first* overclocking project (I read about the 805 ;^)

I've done my homework and I'm confident that I can overclock an 805 without any trouble. But there is one thing that worries me: because I have no experience with this I'm especially worried about heat.

I've never bothered checking the temperature of computers I've built before because they've never been anything flashy, and to tell the truth I don't know how. :^(

Is there a way to check the temperature using BIOS? Or is there a reliable program for Windows that measures CPU (and maybe other parts) temperature?

Thanks for any help. :^)

More about : measuring temperature

July 9, 2006 9:42:18 PM

Quote:
I have considerable experience building and upgrading computers, but I'm about to undertake my *first* overclocking project (I read about the 805 ;^)

I've done my homework and I'm confident that I can overclock an 805 without any trouble. But there is one thing that worries me: because I have no experience with this I'm especially worried about heat.

I've never bothered checking the temperature of computers I've built before because they've never been anything flashy, and to tell the truth I don't know how. :^(

Is there a way to check the temperature using BIOS? Or is there a reliable program for Windows that measures CPU (and maybe other parts) temperature?

Thanks for any help. :^)

Heat will not be an issue until you get to 3.5 or so. Don't worry, be happy.
July 9, 2006 9:48:40 PM

the bios will have pc health status or something along those lines
also the mobo should have its own monitoring sys.
Related resources
July 9, 2006 10:24:35 PM

Quote:

I will be going to *at least* 3.6 Ghz, so heat could be an issue.

All I want to know is how to check the temperature of my CPU (and other internal parts, if possible) while I OC it. Can somebody please tell me how?

I'm going off to google some more now, I'll edit this post if I find what I'm looking for.

EDIT: Sorry sirheck, I didn't see your post at first. So I should check the BIOS for something that looks like "PC health status" and that will tell me the temperature. Thanks for the help! :^)
July 9, 2006 10:27:30 PM

Quote:

I will be going to *at least* 3.6 Ghz, so heat could be an issue.

All I want to know is how to check the temperature of my CPU (and other internal parts, if possible) while I OC it. Can somebody please tell me how?

I'm going off to google some more now, I'll edit this post if I find what I'm looking for.

EDIT: Sorry sirheck, I didn't see your post at first. So I should check the BIOS for something that looks like "PC health status" and that will tell me the temperature. Thanks for the help! :^)

http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php
July 9, 2006 10:27:56 PM

what kind of mobo is it?
asus has pc probe and you can bring it up wile in windows
others are speedfan, pc wizard
July 9, 2006 10:35:40 PM

I'm in luck, because I bought an ASUS!

Thank you both for your help. For some reason my google search "measure cpu temperature" wasn't turning up anything useful. I changed it to just "cpu temperature" though and found some stuff. But you guys have already answered my question, thanks again! :^)
July 9, 2006 10:38:36 PM

also on the asus there is <ai booster>
July 9, 2006 10:45:13 PM

Quote:
also on the asus there is <ai booster>

When he gets that 805 Smithfield running in high gear, the booster and Probe start acting funny. Speedfan might work better if He gets to where he said He wanted to go. BTDT.
July 9, 2006 10:50:15 PM

ok i have never seen any problems with mine
i just use it because it is quick to get to and see what my temps are
!