Has anyone else noticed that the nVidia drivers pages direct you to different versions of their drivers depending on the site you start from?
To explain a little further I visited www.nvidia.com and clicked the Download Drivers tab, then selected Graphics Drivers, Geforce, Windows XP (although the same happens when I try MCE edition) and below is the latest drivers I was offered to download...
Very strange if you ask me, I only noticed this as I downloaded the 91.31 drivers for myself and then told a friend they were available, but when he looked he said I was mistaken (actually he said I was talking pish, but this is a family show ;-) ) So back I went and I saw the 91.31 drivers. I then visited www.nvidia.com and tried from there and realised what had happened.
I checked the nvidia site for contact info to let them know of the problem but there are no e-mail addresses on any page I could find, I don't fancy calling them up about it, I'm too shy for that ;-) lol
So my advice for any Americans, or anyone who uses www.nvidia.com for their nvidia drivers, come visit www.nvidia.co.uk to get the latest drivers for your graphics cards, and perhaps even your system boards too, Rule Britannia!!!! lmao
I think you're right, I don't think they have updated all their servers with the new web page. I tried again just now, 08:35am GMT and it still shows 84.21 for me. This is when I go direct to www.nvidia.com and click Download Drivers, etc, etc. If I click on the international driver link it takes me to the uk site but still 84.21. From here if I click the download Drivers button it will take me to the 91.31 version.
This leads me to believe that some of their servers still hold the old web pages and some hold the new pages.
I just thought it was strange, and doubly so that they don't have any links to inform their web master. Oh well...Their loss, I can imagine quite a few customers downloading Ver 84.21 thinking they are the latest drivers...
I notice you are using Mozilla Firefox, perhaps it is a bug with IE6 as that is the browser Version I am using, Mozilla may not be affected? It wouldn't surprise me in the least.
Actually I was looking last week (as mentioned) from work with IE.
For my day to day surfing I use Opera, I use Mozilla because I can set it up for forums easier and just leave all those things there (passwords etc), that's also why the link bar is pretty bare, and there's a link to my Opera Bookmarks.
I doubt it's browser specific, likely just a glitch either moment to moment, or could be that depending on your IP location it routes you according to where they think you should go (legally issues?) in the same way google doesn't automatically let me see google.com but redirects me to google.ca until I force it.
Anywhoo, still minor issue, but good thing for people to note in the future should they encounter this problem again.
The Proxy idea may be the problem, although what about HeyYou27, he noticed it too, perhaps he's on Blueyonder Broadband too.
My friends who have been affected are all Blueyonder Broadband users all from the Scotland area...Interesting ;-)
I also notice that when directed to the old drivers, the old 'Pop-Up' License Agreement appears, but when I go from .co.uk I get the new License Agreement page...
Blueyonder do use Transparent proxies, there are different ones for different regions, and cache errors are not uncommon.
It sounds like that is the problem to me. As I'd wager .com is the most visited site of the two it is more likely cached, .co.uk stands a better chance of being a fresh copy. The solution (if that is the problem) should be to madly hit refresh 5-6 times and it will reload, at least thats what it did for me when I was on BYBB.
Thats not to say BY are a bad ISP, I love them and they are one of the few ISPs in the UK that offer a truely uncapped service with low contention for a competitive price.