You might not have permission to use this network resource..

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 7, 2005 11:25:06 AM

Go to a workstation where a user has a working local profile.

Right click on "My Computer" and select properties
Select the advanced tab
Select User Profiles
Select the user
Select "Copy To"
Browse to the location up on your server where you have designated the
location for the user
Select the "Change" button on the "Permitted to Use" option and put the
user's id in here

Repoint the gpo to this location and try again

"elzorro" <elzorro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Thanks Paul,
>
> When I said I created an AD Directory I meant I created OUs under the
> Domain, for example:
>
> SCHOOL(DOMAIN)
> |->SCHOOL USERS (OU under the school domain)
> |-->TEACHERS (OU inside the SCHOOL USERS OU)
> |-->SECRETARIES(OU)
> |-->STUDENTS(OU)
>
> I am aware that the profiles get saved in file server folders. I verified
> the path and it is the correct one.
>
> What I am trying to get is for the users to have the same profile wherever
> they login (roaming profiles). At the same time, I would like to apply
> specific group policies according to the type of user (either teacher,
> secretary, or student)
>
> I hope this clarifies things. Thank you very much.
>
> sorbec
>

> "Paul Bergson" wrote:
>
> > My only thought is are the users authenticating locally or globally
(Domain)
> > or you are expecting users to save information in AD. The profiles
> > themselves get saved in file server folders.
> >

> > Your description is very confusing. I'm unclear when you say you
created an
> > AD Directory - What is this? An ou or did you create a folder with
> > permission for the new user?
> >

> > --
> >
> > Paul Bergson MCT, MCSE, MCSA, CNE, CNA, CCA

rights.

> > "elzorro" <elzorro@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Hello everyone!!
> > >
> > > I am running a Windows 2000 Server (with Active Directory installed)
> > machine
> > > with 5 workstations. The workstations are running Windows XP.
> > >
> > > In the Windows 2000 Server the user accounts that access these
> > workstations
> > > are currently under the Users container. I understand this Users
container
> > is
> > > a built-in folder. From my readings about Active Directories, I have
> > learned
> > > that if I want to apply Group Policies, the accounts should be located
> > under
> > > an OU. I proceeded to create new directories and respective Groups,
Domain
> > > Locals, etc... (A->G->DL<-P)
> > >
> > > After creating the new AD directory, I decided to move one account to
this
> > > new directory to see if it will work properly. I can see that the
group
> > > policies are being applied (gpresult) to this user however, I get the
> > > following errors:
> > >
> > > a.- While login in after putting the password
> > >
> > > " Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is
> > > attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the
profile
> > will
> > > not be copied to the server when you logoff. Possible causes of this
error
> > > include network problems or insufficient security rights. If this
problem
> > > persists, contact your network administrator
> > >
> > > DETAIL - Access is denied"
> > >
> > > b.-After pressing OK. I get the following popup error window:
> > >
> > > =================================================
> > > \\server\users$\userlogin\Desktop is not accessible. You might not
have
> > > permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of
this
> > > server to find out if you have access permissions.
> > >
> > > Access is denied.
> > > =================================================
> > >
> > > c.-When I try to access the My Documents of this user:
> > >
> > > =================================================
> > > The network folder, \\server\users$\userlogin\My Documents, that
contains
> > My
> > > Documents is not available.
> > >
> > > Try again later, or contact your system administrator for further
> > assistance.
> > > =================================================
> > >
> > > I have verified the paths (\\server\users$....) and they are correct.
> > These
> > > are the paths that the user was using when its account was under the
> > <Users>
> > > container (built-in). Obviously, when I move the user back to the
<Users>
> > > container, I do not get the above problems (I get different problems:
See
> > > Post-In Subject: Synchronizing problems, Icons not dissapearing,
> > redirection
> > > problems)
> > >
> > > What I am trying to achieve is for those errors to dissappear and for
> > users
> > > to access their My Documents folder, as well as for their roaming
profile
> > > problems to be resolved. I have checked permissions, and did not find
any
> > > errors.
> > >
> > > Can anyone please help me and tell me what could possibly be the
problem,
> > > and its solution?? I will greatly appreciate it.
> > >
> > > Sincerely.
> > >
> > > sorbec

Anonymous
March 11, 2005 11:45:04 AM

Thanks Paul,

Sorry, I am not an MCSE. I did what you suggessted. When I got to the part of:
> Browse to the location up on your server where you have designated the
> location for the user

I was not able to find the path that I expected to see:
\\server\users$\username\

What I found were these SYSVOL folders. So instead of browsing I decided to
type the path (\\server\users$\username\). Then I continued with the
Change/Permitted to use step you mentioned. After pressing OK I got a message
saying that it cannot write because this path already exists.

Any suggestions?? or suggestions of where I should focus my efforts??

Hear from you soon.

sorbec

!