Fixing messed encumberance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello,

is it possible to reset the encumberance of a character somehow? My
character currently carries an awful lot of stuff and encumberance
displays something like 40/500. Dropping everything, encumberance shows
0/500. Taking a 40 lb (or whatever the metrics are) weapon, encumberance
still shows 0/500. Encumberance goes up above 0 again after lifting up
~300 lb, so seems the base value (however it is calculated) is negative.

Is there a way to reset the encumberance base value or force a
recalculation with a console command, mod or otherwise? A google search
revealed two pointers to the same problem, but the "solution" suggested
was to create a new character. I'm looking for something more subtle.

Peter

CJ

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 16:11:27 +0200, Peter Strempel
<peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>is it possible to reset the encumberance of a character somehow? My
>character currently carries an awful lot of stuff and encumberance
>displays something like 40/500. Dropping everything, encumberance shows
>0/500. Taking a 40 lb (or whatever the metrics are) weapon, encumberance
>still shows 0/500. Encumberance goes up above 0 again after lifting up
>~300 lb, so seems the base value (however it is calculated) is negative.
>
>Is there a way to reset the encumberance base value or force a
>recalculation with a console command, mod or otherwise? A google search
>revealed two pointers to the same problem, but the "solution" suggested
>was to create a new character. I'm looking for something more subtle.
>

>Peter

Yes, this can be done. Unfortunately, it's easier to fix the problem
if you are "overweight" as opposed to "underweight."

That is, if your character is holding nothing and the game says you
have 600 encumbrance, you can open the console and type the following
commands:

player->additem "misc_com_bottle_01" 1

player->removeitem "misc_com_bottle_01" 601

The reason this works is that when you remove an item from a console
command, your encumbrance is adjusted even if you don't have that many
items on you. So therefore the above commands will LOWER your
encumbrance by 600.

** However **

It seems like your problem is that your need to RAISE your
encumbrance. The first thing you need to figure out is how much. So
therefore, you need to pick up items until your encumbrance goes
positive and figure out how much you are off by.

For example, if you keep picking up items until your encumbrance shows
10, then you need to add up the weight of all the items you are
currently carrying. Let's say they all add up to 210. Well then we
know we have to increase your encumbrance by 200.

Now, this is where it gets a little harder but not too bad.

You have to start the morrowind editor and create a new mod. For your
new mod, find an item like the "misc_com_bottle_01" and then you have
to change the weight of that item in the toolset by the amount that
you need to fix your encumbrance. That is, if you need to add 200 to
your character, then adjust the weight of the bottle by 200 - thus
making the total weight 201. Save your mod as something like
"encfix.esp"

Ok - now, start the game and select your new "encfix.esp" mod as one
of the data files.

Once you've done that, open the console and give yourself exactly one
of the item that you changed the wieght one. If you used the item
above, type:

player->additem "misc_com_bottle_01" 1

Now save the game. Exit morrowind and REMOVE your mod from the list
of data file. Start the game back up and now your encumbracne will be
fixed!

Why is that?

Well when your mod was active, the bottle in your inventory weighed
201. Now, when your mod is off, the bottle only weighs 1 - but your
total encumbrance has remained the same because the game only
calculates total encumbrance when you add or drop an item.

Hope this helps!

Peter Strempel <peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<2jb2obFuq38mU1@uni-berlin.de>...
> Hello,
>
> is it possible to reset the encumberance of a character somehow? My
> character currently carries an awful lot of stuff and encumberance
> displays something like 40/500. Dropping everything, encumberance shows
> 0/500. Taking a 40 lb (or whatever the metrics are) weapon, encumberance
> still shows 0/500. Encumberance goes up above 0 again after lifting up
> ~300 lb, so seems the base value (however it is calculated) is negative.
>
> Is there a way to reset the encumberance base value or force a
> recalculation with a console command, mod or otherwise? A google search
> revealed two pointers to the same problem, but the "solution" suggested
> was to create a new character. I'm looking for something more subtle.
>

> Peter

It sounds like you have a Feather spell in effect. Do you have a little
purple icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen? Did you do a
Fields of Kummu quest?

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Just tried, worked perfect. Quite a
clever solution, had never thought of that myself.

As a sidenote, it wasn't required to exactly count the amount of being
off, I simply dropped all inventory (that was the most work of all),
then added two times my dummy mod item of 200 weight and finally was
above zero encumberance. Quit, remove mod, reload, then used the first
trick to adjust the weight downwards again.

Peter

CJ

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:32:25 +0200, Peter Strempel
<peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. Just tried, worked perfect. Quite a
>clever solution, had never thought of that myself.
>
>As a sidenote, it wasn't required to exactly count the amount of being
>off, I simply dropped all inventory (that was the most work of all),
>then added two times my dummy mod item of 200 weight and finally was
>above zero encumberance. Quit, remove mod, reload, then used the first
>trick to adjust the weight downwards again.
>

>Peter

Ah yes, very nice... glad it worked for ya!

-CJ

Yoo hoo.. Now my character don't need to use that "cheaters backpack"
anymore :)
My armor weighted too much for me to carry anything else, now i can lower
it's weight..

Thanks for such helpful answer CJ..

"CJ" <CJ@nospam.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> "encfix.esp"
>
> Ok - now, start the game and select your new "encfix.esp" mod as one
> of the data files.
>
> Once you've done that, open the console and give yourself exactly one
> of the item that you changed the wieght one. If you used the item
> above, type:
>
> player->additem "misc_com_bottle_01" 1
>
> Now save the game. Exit morrowind and REMOVE your mod from the list
> of data file. Start the game back up and now your encumbracne will be
> fixed!
>
> Why is that?
>
> Well when your mod was active, the bottle in your inventory weighed
> 201. Now, when your mod is off, the bottle only weighs 1 - but your
> total encumbrance has remained the same because the game only
> calculates total encumbrance when you add or drop an item.

CJ

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:58:50 GMT, "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
.. n o> wrote:

>Yoo hoo.. Now my character don't need to use that "cheaters backpack"
>anymore :)
>My armor weighted too much for me to carry anything else, now i can lower
>it's weight..
>
>Thanks for such helpful answer CJ..

No prob, glad it worked for you guys! :)

DeAnn wrote:

> It sounds like you have a Feather spell in effect. Do you have a little
> purple icon in the lower right hand corner of the screen? Did you do a
> Fields of Kummu quest?

No spells active, I checked the magic effects of course. Only
birthsign/race and disease resistances (from main quest) there.

I suspect the problem was caused by the goldweight mod, part of the bank
mod, after accumulating some 20k gold (had 5k and got 15k as quest reward).

Lesson: Don't use mods which mess too much with the game system. :*)
Though the bank mod itself works fine, the goldweight thing is optional.
But I liked it, a bit more like Daggerfall.

Anyways, CJ provided a proper solution to fix the issue.

Peter

CJ

Distinguished
May 4, 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:22:03 +0200, Peter Strempel
<peterstrempel@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I suspect the problem was caused by the goldweight mod, part of the bank
>mod, after accumulating some 20k gold (had 5k and got 15k as quest reward).
>
>Lesson: Don't use mods which mess too much with the game system. :*)
>Though the bank mod itself works fine, the goldweight thing is optional.
>But I liked it, a bit more like Daggerfall.
>
>Anyways, CJ provided a proper solution to fix the issue.
>

>Peter

That's a good lession :) I try and stick to that myself.

Yeah, I'm 99% sure that's the mod that caused the problem for you.
Personally, I discovered the issue when I edited a mod I was using to
change the wieght of a peice of armor. Sure enough, when I loaded my
save, my encumbrance was off.

Then I figured out that the game doesn't ever calc your encumbrance -
no it only increases or decreases it when you add or remove an item to
your inventory...

There are many discussions about "dirty saves" on the official elder
scrolls forums - but the gist is, if you every modify a mod or
add/remove mods and then load a save that was dependent on those mods,
bad things can sometimes happen.

On a side note:
What would happend if you use a place mod (Caulderan keep - came with some
face upgrades) which add a new island accesible by ship only. If you save
your game on that island, and remove the mod. When loading game, would you
just appear in air, or drown in water?

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 23:36:35 GMT, "AseStar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
.. n o> wrote:

> On a side note:
>What would happend if you use a place mod (Caulderan keep - came with some
>face upgrades) which add a new island accesible by ship only. If you save
>your game on that island, and remove the mod. When loading game, would you
>just appear in air, or drown in water?

No idea - try it and let us know! :)