direct me to a good fighter sim please....

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i don't know what is going on with the fighter sim games now.. i mean i can't find any good hits... i remember when jane's fighter simulators could run on my PIII system and how good it felt to be, then when i pop it in today (ok, so i misplaced it for a couple years......) and found the rich graohics bad, and went on the internet to search for more recent titles... and all i found was WWII based sims or else gamees made by companies that don't exist no more... anyone care to suggest a fighter sim that have modern aircraft in it that is published recently (hense good 3d)?

AMD A64 3200+Venice @2.65GHZ
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ 2x512mb EL Gold VX PC3200 ram 2-2-2-8
evga eGeforce 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 ram
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 6/23
Windows XP SP2

dhlucke

Polypheme
Try Battlefield 2. It's more than just jets and helicopters but it's fun.

<font color=red><b>Long live Dhanity and the minions scouring the depths of Wingdingium!</b>

XxxxX
(='.'=)
(")_(") Bow down before King Bunny

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
well i guess... but since i can't play online its no fun (good stability test though)

AMD A64 3200+Venice @2.65GHZ
DFI Lanparty UT NF4 Ultra-D
OCZ 2x512mb EL Gold VX PC3200 ram 2-2-2-8
evga eGeforce 6800GT 256mb GDDR3 ram
Enermax 485W PSU
Bios 6/23
Windows XP SP2

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
"Lock On" is probably what you want. Planes that are usuable are A-10, Su27, mig Fulcrum I think it is. I think the other is the F-15 and a few other mig variants. Oh and the frog foot.

The game has plenty of other non flyable planes.

Erm.... Graphics are good. Game is very indepth. Learning curve is fairly steep but if it's modern planes you want then Lock On is the game you want.

What else....

For WWII planes get IL2 Sturmovick and the add on Pacific Fighters. That's so much good fun at a lan party and the add on has early jet planes . Graphics and damage model are top notch as well.

"Its only when you look at ants closely with a magnifying glass on a sunny day that you realise how often they burst into flames"

riser

Illustrious
I'd recommend any of the Falcon games.. you WILL need a joystick. I played the previous version but I never really got jet off the ground.. since I didn't read the manual.

It's hard, but that just makes the game that much more fun when you can actually fly. :)

Macel

Distinguished
May 25, 2002
For WW2, and in my opinion, the best combat flight sim out there right now, I would recommend...

IL2: Forgotten Battles with the Ace Expansion Pack and Pacific Fighters (which is standalone but also works as an expansion to FB).

Getting everything installed properly can be a bit of a pain, but its an awesome game to play online.. The single player is not bad, but since it is a sim, and emphasizes realism, it can get boring at times (long time flying to target, never seing any enemies, etc). In terms of flight realism, its right on par w/ the best sims out there (microsoft flight sim, x-plane, etc) despite the fact that its a combat sim.

Once you have the original and the two expansions, you can download a program called hyperlobby (google it) and you will find a surprisingly large online community with dedicated servers 24/7 as well as scripted cooperative games and league play.

I would hardly consider battlefield 2 a sim. It's a first person shooter/arcade style game. Vehicles (including the jets and helos) and weapon damage are quite unrealistic. If you don't believe me, fly a jet in BF2 and then try flying the F16 in Falcon 4.0, which very closely models the F16 'experience'. Falcon 4.0 is a great game too btw, but pays even more attention to the nitty gritty (complex engine and avionics management) and the graphics aren't quite as nice.