Adding Printers via Logon Script

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 8, 2005 1:07:02 PM

Hello,

I have recently setup a print server in Win2k AD, and I am currently in the
process of adding printers to groups via a logon script. I am successfull in
adding the printers, however I can not seem to find out how to set one of the
printers as a default printer. In addition, is it possible to add a script
to be run so the printers would be added to worstations rather than users?

Thanks in advance!
Vince
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 1:08:19 AM

Hi Vince,

You should look at the Con2prt.exe that is used for this exact thing. This
was a utility from that NT4 resource kit that still works perfectly -- this
is often used in TS or Citrix implementations. You can download the utility
from the Microsoft website.

It is really easy to use and can set printers as well as the default
printer. Put this in a script pushed through a GPO filtered by Computer
group to achieve the effect you are looking for.

Let me know if you've got questions.
--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA