ryder_22

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Does that mean that I can run two network cables from my router to my MB? If thats the case, wouldn't that result in much faster download speeds? I'm paying for Shaws fastest internet connection but I don't think its at its peak potential or perhaps its near and I wouldn't have much improvement if any? Your knowledge on these matters would be much appreciated.

Nitro350Z

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2006
If you have shaws fastest internet connection, you will not notice a difference with a gigabit network if your switching from a 100/10 megabit network. there will be no difference.

unless you are using an ancient form of networking, then you are experiencing the full speed of shaws fastest internet connection.

edman007

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
there are ways to increase the speed and to get 2000Mbps out of that board, but each network card is over 100x faster then your net connection so it would make not difference at all, but you would be able to hit twice the speed on a file transfer between two computers in your house, also very few cards and swtiches support spliting one connection across 2 cards, but some high end ones do, so to get twice the speed with most boards you need to give your self 2 IPs and connect to both IPs at the same time and max out the connection

and you would also need all the right gigabit stuff to get the full speed

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
I've got a Cisco 3560 24-port POE with 2 sfp gigabit ports, and a Cisco 3560G with 24 10/100/1000 ports at home :)

Edit: I just reread and you said router, I thought switch, nobody needs gigabit routers unless they have their own fiberbackbone's between buildings, but in that case a layer 3/4 switch would actually work better.

Latest posts