Performance for a AMD Athlon 3200+ (Need help!)

nick3318

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Well, im a big gamer, i recently purchased a new video card, a nvidia geforce 6800 GS.
Well, ive noticed ive been getting...sub par performance, or at least not what i expected. Well, when i launched a game that i just bought (Fable: The Lost Chapters) It said that my computer was not running fast enough for the game, and i noticed it was reading my CPU was running at only 1000 megahurtz, im curious, could this be my problem? Could something somehow be holding my computer back? Do any of you know a way to fix this if this is the case? Or if not, any ideas on what my performance problems could be?

Ive defragmented, everything, even reformatted, i still have performance.
I apologize if this is in the wrong section, i wasnt sure where to post it.

The_Abyss

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Check your BIOS.

Have you got Cool n Quiet enabled? That will throttle back the CPU on the desktop, although I'm not sure it drops down to just 1 ghz.

You may need a BIOS update to get running at full speed, but with a relatively old CPU like a 3200+ I dbout you'd need to flash the BIOS to properly recognise it.

nick3318

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Also, my computer is HP manufactured, and i remember my bios being..somewhat crappy, and the bios update on the main HP site didnt help. Is there anywhere else to get a BIOS update? Or am i so screwed that i need a new motherboard? -.-

dunklegend

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2005
I don´t know how did your speed got so low but I agree that it should be something in your bios. If you don´t know how to change all the options in the bios, you can load the default settings, and there are some bios that have a way to load optimal settings also.
Try that.

sirheck

Splendid
Feb 24, 2006
your cpu and your video card should be able to play
the game just fine,
check your bios, go to start menu, right click my comp
and click on properties
it will tell you what your cpu is running
should be 2.0,

also what is your memory
1 gig?

nick3318

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
your cpu and your video card should be able to play
the game just fine,
check your bios, go to start menu, right click my comp
and click on properties
it will tell you what your cpu is running
should be 2.0,

also what is your memory
1 gig?
It says 997 MHz
And i have 1 gig of ram. Here ill take a screenshot.

tomshardware0gv.jpg