Don't sign-up with Vonage

Prior to signing up with Vonage I contacted their customer services
department to confirm that I would be able to call a 1901 number in the

UK that I use for international calls. I did this on at least half a
dozen occasions and each time was told that I would be able to and that

it would be covered under the £9.99 plan. Each time I called I
explained exactly what the number was for and how much it costs to call

the number with BT.

When I finally signed up and received their phone adapter I called the
number to check it and found that it was blocked. A quick call to
their technical support people confirmed that the number was blocked
and that I could not call it.

Furious that I had been lied to so many times by sales reps who were
obviously just after a sale I called to cancel the service. It has
actually taken me three calls to cancel because the first two said they

had cancelled me but actually didn't. They then had the cheek to
charge a cancellation fee and refused to refund any of my money until I

returned the phone adapter. The second person I spoke to said that
they would arrange pickup but as he wasn't sure how to do it in the UK
said I had to contact their UK office. The number he gave me doesn't
work. So I called their US office again (all calls go through to the
US office) and now they say I have to pay for the return of something
that doesn't work for me despite promises to the contrary.

Anyway, I would recommend that nobody sign up with Vonage UK if my
experience is anything to go by. You get lied to, you have to deal
with Americans who don't know what they are talking about, all their
documentation is for their US service and they are just generally
rubbish.

Regards, Jake.
1 answer Last reply
More about sign vonage

    I second Jake's sentiment and recommend Vonage UK is given a wide
    berth.

    I regretted subscribing less than a day after account activation,
    before i even had the router. Contrary to reasonable expectation there
    was no way to use the service via a Softphone unless you took out a
    separate phone number and paid for it. Replies to customer service
    emails were always canned and irrelevant, even if the questions were
    quite specific.

    Then my router arrived. It was impossible to get incoming calls, but
    even more impossible to have a coherent conversation with most customer
    service representatives. I found that while the US call centre was bad
    the Indian one was far worse, with the staff unable to engage in even
    the most basic conversations unless it was in their script, and were
    also unable to hear you.

    For example when giving your person number after calling (for
    identification) they would repeat it back to you, almost always
    wrongly. So if your phone number was a London one e.g. 020 8 xxx xxxx,
    they would say in a monotone "let me repeat that 8725 3727 yy". This
    would go on for about five minutes. Once after 5 minutes I just asked
    "Is that number you repeated one actually offered by Vonage? If not why
    are you repeating it?". The operator had no comprehension of what I was
    saying so went to the beginning of the script as the reply namely
    "Hello my name is xx, May I have your phone number please?".

    With no incoming calls and realising that Vonage were impossible to
    deal with I decided to cancel under the 14 day money back guarantee. As
    Jake describes it took several phone calls and transfers to get through
    to someone who 1) understood that I wanted to cancel and b) was the
    right person (in theory anyway). This person took some details and then
    said I would be called back in 45 minutes. I was not happy and asked why
    it was that he could not do it there and then. Again no logical answer.
    I repeatedly asked "Why can't you cancel the service now?" to which the
    response was "you will be called back in 45 minutes". I asked if the
    person understood what “why?” meant and he replied that I would get a
    call back in 45 minutes about that!

    I moved on to explain that I would be out in 45 minutes and could I be
    called back tomorrow. Such a statement was way too complex for the
    operator who replied "yes I understand, you will be called back in 45
    minutes". It took a further 10 minutes to get him to understand that I
    would be out in 45 minutes.

    Anyway a day later no call back so I called again and this time by some
    miracle my account was cancelled straight away (well after 30 minutes on
    the phone anyway). I didn't bother to ask for a pick up. I just sent the
    stuff back as instructed and quite surprisingly all my money was
    actually refunded under the 14 day guarantee

    In summary do not even contemplate using these guys. They seem to have
    no concept of service whatsoever.

    --
    avivhandler

vpn Vonage Networking