I find that many of my attachments in my Email are being
blocked so that I can't open them .
I get the following message :OE removed access to the
following unsafe attachments in your mail: Flowers,jpg,
flowers jpg .
How can I get past this , is there a security setting I
need to change?
Thanks for any info I can get on this .

In news:0e7c01c4a81c$ce74ac80$a501280a@phx.gbl,
maury <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

>I find that many of my attachments in my Email are being
> blocked so that I can't open them .
> I get the following message :OE removed access to the
> following unsafe attachments in your mail: Flowers,jpg,
> flowers jpg .
> How can I get past this , is there a security setting I
> need to change?
> Thanks for any info I can get on this .

Starting with SP1, Outlook Express does this by default, for any
file type which can contain a virus. It's not a virus checker,
doesn't actually check the attachments, and this doesn't mean
that there actually is a virus there.

Such attachments are very risky. You often see advice not to open
attachments from people you don't know. I think that that's one
of the most dangerous pieces of advice you see around, because it
implies that it's safe to do the opposite--open attachments from
friends and relatives. But many viruses spread by sending
themselves to everyone in the infected party's address book, so
attachments received from friends are perhaps the most risky to
open.

Personally I think what Outlook Express does is good; I never
open executable attachments at all, except from a very few
trusted sources, and then only when I'm expecting them. But if
you want to remove this safeguard, it's easy to do so: go to
Tools | Options, and on the security tab, uncheck "Do not allow
attachments..."

Please reply to the newsgroup

Go to tools, options, security tab, uncheck "do not allow ...." right under
"warn me"

"maury" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I find that many of my attachments in my Email are being
> blocked so that I can't open them .
> I get the following message :OE removed access to the
> following unsafe attachments in your mail: Flowers,jpg,
> flowers jpg .
> How can I get past this , is there a security setting I
> need to change?
> Thanks for any info I can get on this .

Other posters tell you how to access them, and Ken Blake
explains why you should be very careful about accessing
them. (BTW, be *sure* you have the recent patch for
Windows and for Office - if applicable - to guard against
malicious JPEGs.) In addition, a common way of
introducing worms is by giving them names
like "pretty.jpg.exe". Windows default (a pet peeve) is
to suppress commonly known file extensions, so it looks
like "pretty.jpg". For safety, open My Computer, under
Tools select Folder Options... and on the View tab
uncheck the Hide Extensions for Known File Types.

My rule is that if I am not expecting a specific
attachment, I don't open it until I check with the guy
who sent it.

Mike

maury wrote:
> I find that many of my attachments in my Email are being
> blocked so that I can't open them .
> I get the following message :OE removed access to the
> following unsafe attachments in your mail: Flowers,jpg,
> flowers jpg .
> How can I get past this , is there a security setting I
> need to change?
> Thanks for any info I can get on this .

Outlook Express' default security settings are simply trying to
protect the recipient. OE has no way of telling whether an attachment
actually contains a virus or not, so it temporarily blocks any of
those file types that could potentially contain a virus. In Outlook
Express, Tools > Options > Security, uncheck the "Do not allow
attachments to be saved or opened that could potentially be a virus"
option, assuming he trusts the source, of course. The wiser course of
action, however, would be to modify your list of unsafe files, as
outlined in the KB articles below:

Cannot Open E-Mail Attachments in OE After You Install SP1
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q329570

Information About the Unsafe File List in Internet Explorer 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291369

OLEXP Using Virus Protection Features in Outlook Express 6
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;291387

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you: