adding a domain controller to an exchange 2003 environment

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
Share
March 8, 2005 9:10:08 PM

Hello all,

I am running a windows 2000 environment with 5 domain controllers, well now
i am down to 3 since i just dcpromo'ed 2 of them. i am trying to get rid of
my junky domain controllers (100MHz PCs only running AD), and just dcpromo
some of my better hardware that is on my rack. Also in my domain, i am
running exchange 2003. Im not much of an active directory expert which
brings me too my question.

During the exchange 2003 install i remember running domainprep and
forestprep, which from my understanding prepares AD for the new attributes
of AD that are needed by exchange. If i promote a machine to a DC, are these
attributes going to be replicated to that machine?

From my understanding, this will work as it will just copy the running
environment of active directory to the new machine, but i could be wrong.
Am i making sense? Has anyone run into a problem with this? Any information
on this would be great before i start this.

Thanks in advance,
~dm
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 12:54:56 AM

Remember though, that if you add a 2003 DC, you will need to do forestprep
and domain prep from the 2003 CD to support the AD schema extensions that
2003 needs.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"dm" <dmihalko@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello all,
>
> I am running a windows 2000 environment with 5 domain controllers, well
> now
> i am down to 3 since i just dcpromo'ed 2 of them. i am trying to get rid
> of
> my junky domain controllers (100MHz PCs only running AD), and just dcpromo
> some of my better hardware that is on my rack. Also in my domain, i am
> running exchange 2003. Im not much of an active directory expert which
> brings me too my question.
>
> During the exchange 2003 install i remember running domainprep and
> forestprep, which from my understanding prepares AD for the new attributes
> of AD that are needed by exchange. If i promote a machine to a DC, are
> these
> attributes going to be replicated to that machine?
>
> From my understanding, this will work as it will just copy the running
> environment of active directory to the new machine, but i could be wrong.
> Am i making sense? Has anyone run into a problem with this? Any
> information
> on this would be great before i start this.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> ~dm

Anonymous
March 9, 2005 3:28:38 AM

dm wrote:
(...)

> From my understanding, this will work as it will just copy the running
> environment of active directory to the new machine, but i could be wrong.
> Am i making sense? Has anyone run into a problem with this? Any information
> on this would be great before i start this.

You should have no problem with it- new DCs will get a copy of current
schema and domain data from running DCs
--
Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]
T.Onyszko@w2k.pl

"Tomasz Onyszko [MVP]" <T.Onyszko_nospam_@w2k.pl> wrote in message
> dm wrote:
> (...)
>
> > From my understanding, this will work as it will just copy the running
> > environment of active directory to the new machine, but i could be
wrong.
> > Am i making sense? Has anyone run into a problem with this? Any
information
> > on this would be great before i start this.
>
> You should have no problem with it- new DCs will get a copy of current
> schema and domain data from running DCs
> --

thats what i thought, as long as the schema master is reachable...

thanks much!
-d
!