Sign in with
Your question

heat sink fan

Last response: in Components
July 10, 2006 1:15:44 AM

so i was installing my am2 3500+ and heatsink with fan and when i turned the system on i stupidly went to touch something and hit the fan. one of the props broke of. will this cause me any problems. can 1 prob of 10 do that much damage? please help

More about : heat sink fan

July 10, 2006 1:30:38 AM

The cooling efficiency will obviously suffer, imo spring for a new fan, aftermarket ones often run anywhere between $15-50US depending on quality and CFM count.
July 10, 2006 1:32:12 AM

for now though can i still use it?
Related resources
July 10, 2006 2:03:42 AM

dont forget about vibration
July 10, 2006 2:34:58 AM

I would say yes if you have case with good air flow and you aren't oc'ing but I would still replace it.
July 10, 2006 2:50:46 AM

ok so i went to look at the damn thing. and well i don't even know how to get it off. it seems as if it's part of the heat sink. does that make sense?
July 10, 2006 5:05:33 PM

Quote:
ok so i went to look at the damn thing. and well i don't even know how to get it off. it seems as if it's part of the heat sink. does that make sense?

I've run into this a bit. When you go to buy the new fan generally they come with a new heatsink and thermal goop (make sure the thermal paste comes with it).

I've seen so many cpu latching designs and some of them are the most ignorant looking things in the world. The majority have a common design idea, 2 bars pressured down and hooked on both sides of the cpu mount. Generally if I'm having a rough time ill push down and use a flat head to jimmy out one side so the other comes off easily.
July 10, 2006 5:45:39 PM

If it were me, I'd cut another fin off the fan on the opposite side from the one that broke off [if it's a symetrical design] and then monitor the cpu temps. I'd still probably replace it if I could, but you might be surprised to find no ill effects whatsoever.
July 10, 2006 8:14:36 PM

There should be some small screws at the corners but because of the way fans are attached you will have to use a small narrow screw driver to get at them.

Fans are made so that you can attach them so they either blow away from you or towards you, they are symetrical and will have screw holes on both sides, usually you screw through the case with the fan on the other side so you have easy access to the screw head.

In this case the screw goes into the heatsink so the screw head is hard to reach. Stick the screw driver though the screw holes that you can see on the top and the screw head should be there.
!