Which route to take, setting up DNS for AD

Here my situation, I have a BDC who currently running DNS,DHCP and WINS. My
question is when I upgrade my PDC to AD, should I install DNS along with AD
or I use my DNS on my BDC and used that as the primary DNS? Or should I
start off fresh with the DNS when I upgrade my PDC. The main issue is that I
have several different zones (we host several small websites). Although we
only have only A records (www). I afraid to loose it. Another possiblilty I
want to explorer with everyone is, what if I could install DNS on the PDC and
have it replicate from my BDC to the PDC before the upgrade to W2K3 with AD
and DNS. What route would be best? TIA.

Woo Ying,

When you are running things like a website, these will be hosted on an
external DNS. You don't want to expose your internal structure to the world
at large. What you need to do is to define an internal DNS domain for your
AD implementation and configure this as an Active Directory Integrated DNS
zone. Point all of your clients at that and have the domain forward that to
your external DNS

This way you have a good migration path and keep the continuity of the web
sites.

--
Ryan Hanisco
MCSE, MCDBA

"WooYing" <WooYing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here my situation, I have a BDC who currently running DNS,DHCP and WINS.
> My
> question is when I upgrade my PDC to AD, should I install DNS along with
> AD
> or I use my DNS on my BDC and used that as the primary DNS? Or should I
> start off fresh with the DNS when I upgrade my PDC. The main issue is
> that I
> have several different zones (we host several small websites). Although
> we
> only have only A records (www). I afraid to loose it. Another
> possiblilty I
> want to explorer with everyone is, what if I could install DNS on the PDC
> and
> have it replicate from my BDC to the PDC before the upgrade to W2K3 with
> AD
> and DNS. What route would be best? TIA.

Randy I see what you mean I'm sorry but these site are intranet site, I
should have clearify that but I am just worried about the several different
zones. Can you tell me what the best way to proceed. Thanks

"Ryan Hanisco" wrote:

> Woo Ying,
>
> When you are running things like a website, these will be hosted on an
> external DNS. You don't want to expose your internal structure to the world
> at large. What you need to do is to define an internal DNS domain for your
> AD implementation and configure this as an Active Directory Integrated DNS
> zone. Point all of your clients at that and have the domain forward that to
> your external DNS
>
> This way you have a good migration path and keep the continuity of the web
> sites.
>
> --
> Ryan Hanisco
> MCSE, MCDBA
> FlagShip Integration Services
>
> "WooYing" <WooYing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Here my situation, I have a BDC who currently running DNS,DHCP and WINS.
> > My
> > question is when I upgrade my PDC to AD, should I install DNS along with
> > AD
> > or I use my DNS on my BDC and used that as the primary DNS? Or should I
> > start off fresh with the DNS when I upgrade my PDC. The main issue is
> > that I
> > have several different zones (we host several small websites). Although
> > we
> > only have only A records (www). I afraid to loose it. Another
> > possiblilty I
> > want to explorer with everyone is, what if I could install DNS on the PDC
> > and
> > have it replicate from my BDC to the PDC before the upgrade to W2K3 with
> > AD
> > and DNS. What route would be best? TIA.

"WooYing" <WooYing@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Here my situation, I have a BDC who currently running DNS,DHCP and WINS.
My
> question is when I upgrade my PDC to AD, should I install DNS along with
AD
> or I use my DNS on my BDC and used that as the primary DNS?

You cannot really use the BDC for your DNS
in support of AD -- NT4 doesn't have dynamic
updates.

So you will need to move it to a Win2000+ server
and the easiest will likely be the upgrading DC.

> Or should I
> start off fresh with the DNS when I upgrade my PDC. The main issue is
that I
> have several different zones (we host several small websites).

You can continue to use the old DNS server as
Primary for non-Dynamic zones -- this is NOT
an either or situation.

One DNS server can be Primary for some zones
and Secondary for others.

For the AD support Zone it must however support
dynamic updates.

> Although we
> only have only A records (www). I afraid to loose it. Another
possiblilty I
> want to explorer with everyone is, what if I could install DNS on the PDC
and
> have it replicate from my BDC to the PDC before the upgrade to W2K3 with
AD
> and DNS. What route would be best? TIA.

Well, presumable the PDC is now running NT4
so it CANNOT turn on the "dynamic updates"
until the upgrade so the earliest you can get it
right is DURING the upgrade -- and it should
offer to help you with that so making the PDC
a secondary for the (main) zone, switching it
to Primary, and then enabling dynamic updates
during the upgrade should be the best.

--
Herb Martin

You should have no problem running more than one zone on the machine. You
will want to make backups of your zone files, however, just in case.

If you lose the domain you can reload it from the files.