heat sink fan

so i was installing my am2 3500+ and heatsink with fan and when i turned the system on i stupidly went to touch something and hit the fan. one of the props broke of. will this cause me any problems. can 1 prob of 10 do that much damage? please help
9 answers Last reply
More about heat sink
  1. Quote:
    so i was installing my am2 3500+ and heatsink with fan and when i turned the system on i stupidly went to touch something and hit the fan. one of the props broke of. will this cause me any problems. can 1 prob of 10 do that much damage? please help

You should be okay. It will not cool as well a before, but you'll be fine.

But, due to the imbalance of airflow, the fan will most likely be louder.
  2. Does this fan have bearings? If so, the imbalance may wear out the fan
    sooner?
  3. i don't think it does
  4. I would expect the uneven weight to cause problems relatively quickly. But, I've never broken a fan, so I don't really know for sure, just guessing.
  5. A broken fan should be replaced when you get the chance, its not an incredible rush because it doesn't effect the temperature much, but they wear out alot faster.

Yay- my 100'th post
  6. is it possible to use a regular case fan to replace the heatsink fan. i'm having a hard time finding am2 fans. i'm also new at this so that could be the problem.lol
  7. One missing blade will put the fan out of balance and increase noise. The fan will fail as the bearing wears out.

Buy a good replacement not oem. Thermaltake ect.
  8. Just get a whole new heatsink/fan cooler designed for your CPU. Newegg, zipzoomfly, all the internet places have'm.
  9. Quote:
    is it possible to use a regular case fan to replace the heatsink fan. i'm having a hard time finding am2 fans. i'm also new at this so that could be the problem.lol

Yes it is entirely possible to do that.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Heat Heatsinks Fan Systems