Sometimes it happens that a person quits/gets fired and is replaced by a new
user.
Now I see 2 ways to replace this user in AD:

Rename the user accounts login & password + email address and have them
login like this.
Result: Quick solution that leaves the desktop and settings of the previous
employee intact so they can begin working immediately without having to
configure some applications.
Negative: in programs like Word when they create a new document it is saved
with (I think it's metadata) as creator's name the old username that was
registered when Word first started.

Remove Exchange attributes from old user to disconnect its mailbox. Disable
the user. Create a new user for the new employee and reconnect the mailbox.
Result: Can take some time depending on the amount of applications requiring
reconfiguration under a new user profile.
Positive: the opposite of the negative in #1

What do you people do when somebody is replaced?

regards,

David

In news:%23ishJIKJFHA.1280@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl,
DavidVL <David-NOSPAM@netcom.be> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hi,
>

> I have a few customers with SBS2003 (Exchange is not
> primary MX) and 2000/XP clients.
> Sometimes it happens that a person quits/gets fired and
> is replaced by a new user.
> Now I see 2 ways to replace this user in AD:

> Rename the user accounts login & password + email address
> and have them login like this.
> Result: Quick solution that leaves the desktop and
> settings of the previous employee intact so they can
> begin working immediately without having to configure
> some applications.
> Negative: in programs like Word when they create a new
> document it is saved with (I think it's metadata) as
> creator's name the old username that was registered when
> Word first started.

> Remove Exchange attributes from old user to disconnect
> its mailbox. Disable the user. Create a new user for the
> new employee and reconnect the mailbox. Result: Can take
> some time depending on the amount of applications
> requiring reconfiguration under a new user profile.
> Positive: the opposite of the negative in #1
>
> What do you people do when somebody is replaced?

When the account is first created I give it a generic name based on the
position. The original profile retains this name. Then later I just change
the logon name in the account properties.
This method retains all network permissions based on the position. It is
just a matter of changing the logon names

As for the document settings, these can be changed in Tools, options, User
information tab. In Exchange whenever you create the mailbox, you can give
it any unused alias. I use their full name. Whatever the alias name of the
box is not relevent to the logon name.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]