Auto Install Printer from Active Directory?

Last response: in Windows 2000/NT
March 9, 2005 10:35:54 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

I have 2 Terminal Services 2003 servers that i will have many people logging
into. Is it possible to have a certain set of printers that are already
published in Active Directory to be installed and available automatically
for people that log onto these servers? I can't seem to find anything
specific in active directory. (I know i can prepopulate the search for
printers etc etc... but i want them ready to go... so the user can just open
a document and print to a printer that has already been installed.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Chris Thunell
cthunell@pierceassociates.com
Anonymous
March 9, 2005 2:14:54 PM

"Chris Thunell" <cthunell@pierceassociates.com> wrote in

> I have 2 Terminal Services 2003 servers that i will have many people
> logging into. Is it possible to have a certain set of printers that
> are already published in Active Directory to be installed and
> available automatically for people that log onto these servers? I
> can't seem to find anything specific in active directory. (I know i
> can prepopulate the search for printers etc etc... but i want them
> ready to go... so the user can just open a document and print to a
> printer that has already been installed.)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
> Chris Thunell
> cthunell@pierceassociates.com

Something that I've done in the past is create local printers on the TS
box and set the appropriate security on them. This way when they sign
on, they only see what they have rights to.

In a large environment with a lot of printers this would be very
awkward, but in the small environment I had it worked great.

Steve
March 10, 2005 10:45:40 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

Wouldn't you be able to set the RDP client to map the local resources
(Printers)? Whether they're local printers or network printers, they should
map, no?

Ken

"Steve Aldred" <steveyoushouldremovethis@aldred.ca> wrote in message
> "Chris Thunell" <cthunell@pierceassociates.com> wrote in
>
>> I have 2 Terminal Services 2003 servers that i will have many people
>> logging into. Is it possible to have a certain set of printers that
>> are already published in Active Directory to be installed and
>> available automatically for people that log onto these servers? I
>> can't seem to find anything specific in active directory. (I know i
>> can prepopulate the search for printers etc etc... but i want them
>> ready to go... so the user can just open a document and print to a
>> printer that has already been installed.)
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>> Chris Thunell
>> cthunell@pierceassociates.com
>>

> Something that I've done in the past is create local printers on the TS
> box and set the appropriate security on them. This way when they sign
> on, they only see what they have rights to.
>
> In a large environment with a lot of printers this would be very
> awkward, but in the small environment I had it worked great.
>
> Steve
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 12:49:50 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

One can, but these printers can only be used by the actual user of his/her
own RDP session.

--
Todd J Heron, MCSE
Windows Server 2003/2000/NT

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

In news:%23%23X6S8WJFHA.2956@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
Ken B <none@microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Wouldn't you be able to set the RDP client to map the
> local resources (Printers)? Whether they're local
> printers or network printers, they should map, no?

Using the latest version 5 remote desktop client, the user's current
printers are available in the remote session. So they can print to the same
printers they always use.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

Wouldn't it make sense though for a user to have printers that are mapped on
their computer? Theoretically, each user should have their own computer (or
profile) and have printers mapped in that, no?

Ken