Auto Install Printer from Active Directory?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

I have 2 Terminal Services 2003 servers that i will have many people logging
into. Is it possible to have a certain set of printers that are already
published in Active Directory to be installed and available automatically
for people that log onto these servers? I can't seem to find anything
specific in active directory. (I know i can prepopulate the search for
printers etc etc... but i want them ready to go... so the user can just open
a document and print to a printer that has already been installed.)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Chris Thunell
cthunell@pierceassociates.com
6 answers Last reply
More about auto install printer active directory
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    Chris,
    You can do this via login script run from a GPO. See the following
    knowledge base article:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;314486
    And:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;189105

    Bill
  2. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    "Chris Thunell" <cthunell@pierceassociates.com> wrote in

    > I have 2 Terminal Services 2003 servers that i will have many people
    > logging into. Is it possible to have a certain set of printers that
    > are already published in Active Directory to be installed and
    > available automatically for people that log onto these servers? I
    > can't seem to find anything specific in active directory. (I know i
    > can prepopulate the search for printers etc etc... but i want them
    > ready to go... so the user can just open a document and print to a
    > printer that has already been installed.)
    >
    > Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    > Chris Thunell
    > cthunell@pierceassociates.com

    Something that I've done in the past is create local printers on the TS
    box and set the appropriate security on them. This way when they sign
    on, they only see what they have rights to.

    In a large environment with a lot of printers this would be very
    awkward, but in the small environment I had it worked great.

    Steve
  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    Wouldn't you be able to set the RDP client to map the local resources
    (Printers)? Whether they're local printers or network printers, they should
    map, no?

    Ken

    "Steve Aldred" <steveyoushouldremovethis@aldred.ca> wrote in message
    > "Chris Thunell" <cthunell@pierceassociates.com> wrote in
    >
    >> I have 2 Terminal Services 2003 servers that i will have many people
    >> logging into. Is it possible to have a certain set of printers that
    >> are already published in Active Directory to be installed and
    >> available automatically for people that log onto these servers? I
    >> can't seem to find anything specific in active directory. (I know i
    >> can prepopulate the search for printers etc etc... but i want them
    >> ready to go... so the user can just open a document and print to a
    >> printer that has already been installed.)
    >>
    >> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    >> Chris Thunell
    >> cthunell@pierceassociates.com
    >>

    > Something that I've done in the past is create local printers on the TS
    > box and set the appropriate security on them. This way when they sign
    > on, they only see what they have rights to.
    >
    > In a large environment with a lot of printers this would be very
    > awkward, but in the small environment I had it worked great.
    >
    > Steve
  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory,microsoft.public.win2000.group_policy,microsoft.public.windows.server.active_directory (More info?)

    One can, but these printers can only be used by the actual user of his/her
    own RDP session.

    --
    Todd J Heron, MCSE
    Windows Server 2003/2000/NT

    In news:%23%23X6S8WJFHA.2956@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    Ken B <none@microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Wouldn't you be able to set the RDP client to map the
    > local resources (Printers)? Whether they're local
    > printers or network printers, they should map, no?

    Using the latest version 5 remote desktop client, the user's current
    printers are available in the remote session. So they can print to the same
    printers they always use.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Wouldn't it make sense though for a user to have printers that are mapped on
    their computer? Theoretically, each user should have their own computer (or
    profile) and have printers mapped in that, no?

    Ken

    "Todd J Heron" <todd_heron_no_spam@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > One can, but these printers can only be used by the actual user of his/her
    > own RDP session.
    >
    > --
    > Todd J Heron, MCSE
    > Windows Server 2003/2000/NT

Active Directory Microsoft Printers Windows