Sign in with
Your question

XFX Geforce 6200

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 10, 2006 2:46:20 AM

hey, i just recently bought this card to update from a Geforce 5200fx. I thought this would be a simple upgrade, esp since it was from an older geforce card to a newer one, but i've had some problems.

in every modern 3d game, from Civ4 to battlefield 1942, the card will not draw 3d images. Civ4 displays a bunch of misscaled objects and random colored lines all over, and BF1942 doesn't display much of anything when you try to play. these games ran fine, albeit a little slow, under the old card. the system overall is stable and doesn't crash, just the games don't work.

all drivers are the newest from the website, 9.0c directx is on the computer, and the directdraw and direct3d tests work. when it comes to games, however...

the card is agp, 256mb ddr2. i have a gig of memory, an athlon 2600+ processor, and a KT-400 motherboard.

any help?

More about : xfx geforce 6200

July 11, 2006 4:03:24 AM

i also have flash-updated my bios and the chipset drivers on my computer, but still, nothing different.

any ideas??!????
July 11, 2006 4:09:25 AM

here's an example of what i'm talking about... it runs stable but it doesn't render correctly in ANY (not just civ 4) games.

Example of error
Related resources
July 11, 2006 4:54:18 AM

The link you gave shows a forbiden page, but I think I know what you are talking about.

Try downloading a driver cleaning program and reinstall the newest drivers after its clean.

Try running a video benchmark like 3DMark.

and last, Try your card in a friends pc and see if still has problems there.

Hope this helps
July 11, 2006 5:36:59 AM

Here's the Error link, again

I downloaded Driver Cleaner Pro, ran it to get rid of the nVidia drivers, restarted, installed newest drivers (91.31), restarted, and same errors. nothing new.

i am currently downloading 3dmark (a big download!) and will post info on that when it's done.
July 11, 2006 6:07:17 AM

This may be VERY obvious. And I hope I'm not being redundant in a bad way, but try reinstalling directx. I've not seen a graphic problem like that since the good old days of ATI Rage video cards back in 1996
July 11, 2006 10:30:07 AM

well my friend ... you don`t have to install the latest....just install a 7x.xx 8x.xx or even lower forceware.....if this doen`t help ...try a fresh installl...win app everything ..and if this wouldn`t help either try to put your card in another sistem see what happens .....it could be a faulty card .....but unless you do a fresh install ..... never know...

good luck
July 11, 2006 11:24:15 AM

Hey no probs man this same prob hapened to me

You just auto overclock the processor by taking coolbit.reg registery key.Go to nvidia drivers and simply auto overclock it.This Geforce 6200 is a hell to be overclocked manually so dont go there.and another option will be there frames to render ahead the value default would be 3 change it to any from 56-80 and then run the game i think it would run smooth.

If still the problem persists

Go to bios setiings.In chipset settings if the GAS(Graphic Aperture Size) is less or 32 mb increase it to 256 or 512 or if it is more decrease it.

FIRST TRY THE SECOND ONE IF STILL PROBLEM IS THERE TRY FIRST ONE and after that in nvidia settings turn antiliasing 4x and anistropic 8x it would seriosly impress you :) 
July 11, 2006 3:57:36 PM

i reinstalled directx (after modifying the registry so it thought i had an older version), changed the agp aperture size, and tried running 3dmark (the screen went black for awhile and i got an error message). still nothing different.

i'm a little leery of overclocking the card, b/c i view it as throwing in the towel and also b/c i'm not sure why that would have any effect on it working or not.
July 11, 2006 4:19:53 PM

Overclocking will under no circumstances help whatsoever. If anything, overclocking will cause further artifacts due to increased heat and may even damage your card if heat is already your problem. I starting to think you just have a faulty card, my friend.
July 12, 2006 7:37:39 AM

Well it may be a faulty one try the card in someone's pc and know it that's your last hope :( 
July 17, 2006 10:08:32 PM

awe -- i posted on basically same effects in top of forum ( evga 6200 256 agp any good ? )

mine =
eVGA 6200 256mb agp

VERY INTERESTING THING I NOTICED ---

WE BOTH USING KT-400 MOBOS !!
mine is the MSI KT4A ULTRA MS-6195
ARE YOU RUNNING DDR400 AS WELL ?

I am going to do yet Another clean install using drivers from
the install cd ...

if same occurence -- then next i will RE_MOVE DDR400 completly
RE-PLACE with DDR333 and try again ! --

hmmm
(sig)
crash ---- down ...but not out ! ....

MSI KT4a Ultra (MS-6195)
1g kingston matched pair ddr400
400 watt PS
AMD XP 2400 (solid at 2000 )
DX 9.0c on winxp pro sp2
July 18, 2006 2:09:31 AM

well try update the drivers
i have a 6200 card too and it workds ok but the performance differnce between a 5200 and 6200 is ... well there isnt any really
July 18, 2006 6:47:28 AM

yes, i am using ddr400 ram as well...

interesting.
July 21, 2006 6:38:37 AM

Well The Nvidia's IGP 6150 is avialable on the Motherboards nowadays so all the people who bought the Nvidia 6200 nothing to do except bang up their heads :lol:  I also have to
July 23, 2006 11:07:19 PM

ok not sure exactly what i did -- but i did do something correct ! 8)

running great and steady now -- re-set jumper for cmos "finnaly"
after uninstalling several suspicious motherboard recourses found in my device mgr under system -- and a thorough spy clean with webroot v5.0

a nd manual set to ddr400 in bios -- now running kingston ddr400 pc3200 matched pair 512x2 = 1gig (2x single bank )

and fresh load of nvdia 91.?? forceware drivers ! ( again ) -- cleaned out all nvidia folders i could find prior !

SO -- IM BBACK TO BANGING my head -- but this time its the back of my head as i prepare to be blown back against hte wall with my new amd64 sli setup soon to be running along with my not so old MSI KT4A-ultra ruunning on the newly discoverd 6200 agp 256mb bought for 39.99 ! wooot !
----------- 8O ---------------
July 23, 2006 11:54:41 PM

Quote:
hey, i just recently bought this card to update from a Geforce 5200fx. I thought this would be a simple upgrade, esp since it was from an older geforce card to a newer one, but i've had some problems.

in every modern 3d game, from Civ4 to battlefield 1942, the card will not draw 3d images. Civ4 displays a bunch of misscaled objects and random colored lines all over, and BF1942 doesn't display much of anything when you try to play. these games ran fine, albeit a little slow, under the old card. the system overall is stable and doesn't crash, just the games don't work.

all drivers are the newest from the website, 9.0c directx is on the computer, and the directdraw and direct3d tests work. when it comes to games, however...

the card is agp, 256mb ddr2. i have a gig of memory, an athlon 2600+ processor, and a KT-400 motherboard.

any help?

OK, this is what you should do first...

1. flash your bios or if you have latest version - reset the CMOS
2. set AGP apeture size to 128 MB ONLY!!! 256-512 is wayyy to much. (a large apeture can actually cause problems)
3. REformat your hard drive then install windows
4. Install latest drivers for EVERYTHING, starting with chipset, videocard drivers, then anything else.
5. play games, if image problems persist RMA your video card or return it and buy an AM2 motherboard with integrated 6150 graphics (my friend has it it's nice) with an AM2 processor.

hope that helped 8O

also - make sure the timings and voltage on your memory are correct, because that could also cause problems in certain cases.

p.s. make sure you have virus software disabled when you play your games... but I hope you already knew that
July 24, 2006 10:16:22 PM

Quote:

OK, this is what you should do first...

1. flash your bios or if you have latest version - reset the CMOS
2. set AGP apeture size to 128 MB ONLY!!! 256-512 is wayyy to much. (a large apeture can actually cause problems)

ok reason i stoped quote there is because if you are like me re-formatting is last ditch everything -- too many times it did not cure problem either -- and i have yet to rma anything -- it did work eventually --- when i played with settings !

ANY WAY -- i will post my BIOS settings --on next message -
I HAVE THE MSI - KT4A-ULTRA (MS-6590)
U SAID YOU HAVE A KT-400 BOARD -- we should be very little difference in settings .....

ok ? be right back
July 24, 2006 11:13:00 PM

thanks for the soon-to-be posted bios info.

i haven't had time enough time off yet to tinker around much more with the card, but the idea of resetting the CMOS seems like an obvious solution-area.

i'll let ya'll know what happens when i try it tomorrow.
July 25, 2006 1:39:44 PM

:arrow: ok - sorry it took a while -- in middle of rebuilding system as well -- below is what i found relevant for video ! -- Whoever reads this please note -- Im a "Freegeek" no true tech background but un countable hrs in testing and reading and ... ... .. so settings may not be "OPTIMAL" -- all I know is this finnaly worked for me with video card glitches on win xp and memmory lock ups with ddr400 -- all is good now ! NO RMA !!!

:arrow: :arrow: AMIBIOS v3.1-- MSI KT4a-Ultra --

-ADVANCED CHIPSET FEATURES -
---dram timing controll
----agp timing control
= AGP mode/auto
AGP fast write / Enabled
AGP aperture size / 256**
**(im running 1gig of system memory - rule is apply only 1/4 of system memory but never over 256 or under 32 )
AGP master 1 w/s write /disabled
AGP master 1 w/s read /disabled
AGP fast synch /disabled
-----------PCI Delay Transaction / disabled

-PNP / PCI CONFIGURATION -
---plug n play aware / NO
---clear nvram / no
---PCI Latency Timer / 128
--pci IDE busmaster / disabled
--Primary graphics adapter / AGP
--PCI slot 1-6 (IRQ settings all to auto)

--Frequency/voltage-
----AGP voltage / auto
(there are other settings but dont relate to this post )

8O --- CAN ATTEMPT TO APPLY THESE SETTINGS IF YA LIKE -- AFTER YOU DO A CMOS JUMPER RESET -- ! then goto bios setup ( delete key )..

:roll: well let us know -- and hoped this helped a little anyway ! ?? --
may also want to search youre harddrivves for all NVIDIA and delete everything you find -- restart -- have handy youre GRAFFICS CD for install of drivers -- or download new forceware ( i run 91.31 )
DO NOT LET WINDOWS INSTALL DRIVERS -- CLOSE THE POP UP INSTALL PROMP WHEN IT COMES ON AFTER YOU REBOOT FROM DELETION -- it will detect new vid card and want to install winxp default ( nota )
July 25, 2006 6:15:29 PM

nope, nothing has changed after resetting cmos, editing the settings and reinstalling the 91.xx drivers for the gabillionth time.

i think nvidia just has it out for me.
July 27, 2006 5:27:19 AM

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, but try going down to the 84.xx drivers. The newest ones messed up my cs 1.6.
Anonymous
April 7, 2009 10:10:17 PM

I had a similar problem with my GeForce 6200 and had "done everything" too.

CoolxMikie's idea was the one that worked. (Go into the BIOS --> Advanced Chipset settings and increased the apperature size (In my case it went from 32MB to 64MB))

Work's like a charm now.

!