systemlord

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
Hi guys,
I just ran the cpu test on Tom's hardware and the differance from the AMD FX 57 2.8ghz & INTEL'S P4 3.0ghz Presscott was only 4 frames per second in Doom3 1280res. :idea: :?: Whats up with that!? Amd is claimed much better for games than Intel :?: I want to upgrade but now i'm not sure, also i would like to see dule cores take full advantage of games. Can you imagine one core running each graphics card in SLI? Two cores, two graphics cards....

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
AMD is better for gaming (at least until Conroe comes out), it's just that CPU's don't matter much anymore. the graphics card is much much more important. In fact whenever they do game tests on new CPU's they usually (if not always) run them at a res like 640x480 which is ridiculously low these days.

fredgiblet

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
In fact whenever they do game tests on new CPU's they usually (if not always) run them at a res like 640x480 which is ridiculously low these days.

Low resolution is used to minimize the effects of the GPU on benchmarks.

Exactly, at higher-resolutions the GPU is much more important, thus there is more benefit (at least for a gaming box) to spend the extra money on a faster video card instead of a faster CPU. That being said, if you do video editing/compression, audio editing, 3D rendering or CAD a CPU is a much better choice.

m25

Distinguished
May 23, 2006
Hi guys,
I just ran the cpu test on Tom's hardware and the differance from the AMD FX 57 2.8ghz & INTEL'S P4 3.0ghz Presscott was only 4 frames per second in Doom3 1280res. :idea: :?: Whats up with that!? Amd is claimed much better for games than Intel :?: I want to upgrade but now i'm not sure, also i would like to see dule cores take full advantage of games. Can you imagine one core running each graphics card in SLI? Two cores, two graphics cards....

With the decapitation of netburst-based cores and the advent of conroe, the differences are pretty normal. Conroe is newer, better performing technology and now has the leading edge.