AD Local User Profiles

Hey All:

First of all, thanks for these forums. I have always found them to be a
great resource.

Ok... I have been tasked with migrating a 2000 user network from Novell to
2003 AD. All is going well so far and I am in the middle of scripting the
automation of computers joining the domain. I want to be able to have domain
user accounts use the existing local user account profile instead of a new
profile being created when a user first loggs in.

Example: Local user account 'Jane' has an existing user profile. Jane's
computer just joined the domain via an automated script. The computer reboots
and prompts Jane to login with her new AD account. When she loggs in, a new
Domain profile is created. I want it to be Jane loggs in to the Domain for
the first time and get her old profile as though no change has been made.

Thanks in advance for the help and advise.

--
Brad Marchand
State of North Carolina

    In news:9FCAC3B7-E3E1-482C-83A7-B7EC5AC08420@microsoft.com,
    Brad Marchand <BradMarchand@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hey All:
    >
    > First of all, thanks for these forums. I have always
    > found them to be a great resource.
    >
    > Ok... I have been tasked with migrating a 2000 user
    > network from Novell to 2003 AD. All is going well so far
    > and I am in the middle of scripting the automation of
    > computers joining the domain. I want to be able to have
    > domain user accounts use the existing local user account
    > profile instead of a new profile being created when a
    > user first loggs in.
    >
    > Example: Local user account 'Jane' has an existing user
    > profile. Jane's computer just joined the domain via an
    > automated script. The computer reboots and prompts Jane
    > to login with her new AD account. When she loggs in, a
    > new Domain profile is created. I want it to be Jane loggs
    > in to the Domain for the first time and get her old
    > profile as though no change has been made.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help and advise.

    Logon to the machine with a user that has local administrative rights, then
    in the system control panel user profiles tab (Win2k) or Advanced tab (XP)
    copy the good profile to the new domain profile directory giving domain user
    "allow to use" permissions.

    You can also copy these profiles to a Network share, to a directory that has
    the username. In the Domain account properties, on the Profile tab, type
    this into the
    Profile path field \\server\share\%username% this creates a directory in
    the share with the username. Then copy the profile into the directory
    created.
    Then the Profile will be a roaming profile and will be loaded on any machine
    they logon to. The downside of this is, all machines should have the same
    Programs and Windows directory locations. The profile will work fine for any
    NT4, Win2k, or XP machine they logon to, but the Profile won't be used on a
    Win9x and you shouldn't use a profile from a Win9x on the aforementioned
    clients.
    Win9x clients can also use roaming profiles, you have to create a config.pol
    in the Netlogon share with the profile settings and locations.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    Thanks for the reply but I need to automate this process. I was hoping to
    figure out a way that when the user loggs in with the Domain account the old
    profile is used instead of creating a new one. I may just need to script
    something with the moveuser.exe utility or even the User State Migration
    Tool. It just seems like this should be much easier for such a large rollout.
    I wonder is there is something burried in Group Policy for this.?.

    Brad,

    Unfortunately there is not a GPO for this... think of it this way, there
    would be an inherent risk allowing different security zones interact --
    being the AD and the local computer.

    The mapping of SID to profile is done in the ProfileList key in the HKLM.
    You could script this to change the keys, but if you've got a small
    environment, just change this manually. Otherwise, look at a longer
    implementation cycle and deploy from there.

    Incidentally, a move from NetWare to AD is a good time to implement good
    desktop standards. Your end goal should be ubiquitous computing -- this can
    be expressed two ways. 1. Your users can log in anywhere. 2. Replacing a
    machine doesn't effect user experience. Use this opportunity to
    standardize... Look to DFS, mandatory profiles, and roaming profiles to
    help you.

    In a truly large environment, take a look at the MOF (Microsoft Operations
    Framework) to guide you. This is amazing and helps so so much.
    --
    Ryan Hanisco
    MCSE, MCDBA

    "Brad Marchand" <BradMarchand@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hey All:
    >
    > First of all, thanks for these forums. I have always found them to be a
    > great resource.
    >
    > Ok... I have been tasked with migrating a 2000 user network from Novell to
    > 2003 AD. All is going well so far and I am in the middle of scripting the
    > automation of computers joining the domain. I want to be able to have
    > domain
    > user accounts use the existing local user account profile instead of a new
    > profile being created when a user first loggs in.
    >
    > Example: Local user account 'Jane' has an existing user profile. Jane's
    > computer just joined the domain via an automated script. The computer
    > reboots
    > and prompts Jane to login with her new AD account. When she loggs in, a
    > new
    > Domain profile is created. I want it to be Jane loggs in to the Domain for
    > the first time and get her old profile as though no change has been made.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for the help and advise.
    >
    > --
    > Brad Marchand
    > State of North Carolina

Domain Active Directory Windows