First time player of Morrowind

I have all my menus up in the first part of the game but don't have a
character picture in the inventory menu. Have I missed something? I've
been looking in the manual but can't find anything to help. Any
sugestions would be appreciated.

Bev
More about first time player morrowind

    Bev expounded thusly :

    > I have all my menus up in the first part of the game but don't have a
    > character picture in the inventory menu. Have I missed something?
    > I've been looking in the manual but can't find anything to help. Any
    > sugestions would be appreciated.

    Maybe you're just invisible :)

    Sounds like a bug, but I've never heard of that particular one. If you
    went through the char creation process without any problems, maybe check
    that you haven't changed which mods you had in effect at char creation.

    Try creating another char, and if it works OK?

    -mb

    markB wrote:

    > Bev expounded thusly :
    >
    > > I have all my menus up in the first part of the game but don't have a
    > > character picture in the inventory menu. Have I missed something?
    > > I've been looking in the manual but can't find anything to help. Any
    > > sugestions would be appreciated.
    >
    > Maybe you're just invisible :)
    >
    > Sounds like a bug, but I've never heard of that particular one. If you
    > went through the char creation process without any problems, maybe check
    > that you haven't changed which mods you had in effect at char creation.
    >
    > Try creating another char, and if it works OK?
    >
    > -mb

    Thanks Mark but creating other characters has resulted in the same blank
    picture. I just followed the character instructions and as I haven't
    played the game beore started with a clean slate. Don't know what else
    to do :(

    Bev

    Bev expounded thusly :
    > markB wrote:
    >>
    >> Bev expounded thusly :
    >>
    >>> I have all my menus up in the first part of the game but don't have
    >>> a character picture in the inventory menu. Have I missed something?
    >>> I've been looking in the manual but can't find anything to help.
    >>> Any sugestions would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Maybe you're just invisible :)
    >>
    >> Sounds like a bug, but I've never heard of that particular one. If
    >> you went through the char creation process without any problems,
    >> maybe check that you haven't changed which mods you had in effect at
    >> char creation.
    >>
    >> Try creating another char, and if it works OK?
    >>
    >> -mb
    >
    > Thanks Mark but creating other characters has resulted in the same
    > blank picture. I just followed the character instructions and as I
    > haven't played the game beore started with a clean slate. Don't
    > know what else to do :(

    You might try asking here, at the official MW forums:

    www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php

    Wondering if the paperdoll is still active even if you can't see it --
    drag something over there and see if it equips?

    Good luck!

    -mb

    markB wrote:

    > Bev expounded thusly :
    > > markB wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Bev expounded thusly :

    > >> Maybe you're just invisible :)
    > >>
    > >> Sounds like a bug, but I've never heard of that particular one. If
    > >> you went through the char creation process without any problems,
    > >> maybe check that you haven't changed which mods you had in effect at
    > >> char creation.
    > >>
    > >> Try creating another char, and if it works OK?
    > >>
    > >> -mb
    > >
    > > Thanks Mark but creating other characters has resulted in the same
    > > blank picture. I just followed the character instructions and as I
    > > haven't played the game beore started with a clean slate. Don't
    > > know what else to do :(
    >
    > You might try asking here, at the official MW forums:
    >
    > www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
    >
    > Wondering if the paperdoll is still active even if you can't see it --
    > drag something over there and see if it equips?
    >
    > Good luck!
    >
    > -mb

    Mike, big discovery. My character really is invisible. I have
    suddenly realised that my character should have been visible from the
    moment I started the game. All I have is a small bright cross I can
    move around instead of the character, which explains why I have an empty
    box in my inventory. At least I am assuming this. The tunic and gear
    my character is supposed to be wearing is sitting in the inventory box
    beside the non picture. All the other npc I've met in the game so far
    are visible, rofl.

    Bev

    Bev, what graphic card are you using? Try disabling any Antialias or
    anisotropic filtering.
    It sounds like some corrupt files, or display driver problems. I would
    strongly suggest you to uninstall, and reinstall the game. And use latest
    patch.

    BUT: do this, turn on the sound system, buy any armor (cuirass or pauldron),
    open inventory, now drag this newly bought item over to *empty space*. What
    happens? Do you hear sound of getting equiped? Or just it become visible?

    "Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> wrote in message
    > markB wrote:
    > >
    > > Bev expounded thusly :

    > > > Thanks Mark but creating other characters has resulted in the same
    > > > blank picture. I just followed the character instructions and as I
    > > > haven't played the game beore started with a clean slate. Don't
    > > > know what else to do :(
    > >
    > > You might try asking here, at the official MW forums:
    > >
    > > www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
    > >
    > > Wondering if the paperdoll is still active even if you can't see it --
    > > drag something over there and see if it equips?
    > >
    > > Good luck!
    > >
    > > -mb
    >
    > Mike, big discovery. My character really is invisible. I have
    > suddenly realised that my character should have been visible from the
    > moment I started the game. All I have is a small bright cross I can
    > move around instead of the character, which explains why I have an empty
    > box in my inventory. At least I am assuming this. The tunic and gear
    > my character is supposed to be wearing is sitting in the inventory box
    > beside the non picture. All the other npc I've met in the game so far
    > are visible, rofl.
    >
    > Bev

    Bev expounded thusly :
    > markB wrote:
    >> You might try asking here, at the official MW forums:
    >>
    >> www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
    >>
    >> Wondering if the paperdoll is still active even if you can't see it
    >> -- drag something over there and see if it equips?
    >>
    >> Good luck!
    >>
    >> -mb
    >
    > Mike, big discovery. My character really is invisible. I have
    > suddenly realised that my character should have been visible from the
    > moment I started the game. All I have is a small bright cross I can
    > move around instead of the character, which explains why I have an
    > empty box in my inventory. At least I am assuming this.

    Heh. Nice try :) That's the crosshairs that tells you what you're
    aiming at for activating, attacking, speaking to, etc. You can toggle
    it in the Options menu. It's a 1st person game, so you're out of the
    picture mostly, unless you hit or hold the TAB key.

    > The tunic
    > and gear my character is supposed to be wearing is sitting in the
    > inventory box beside the non picture.

    Drag it to the empty window. But if it's got a highlighted border, it's
    already equipped.

    Anyway, make sure you're patched:

    http://www.bethsoft.com/downloads/patches/Morrowind_v1.2.0722.exe

    That's MW, but if you put in Tribune and Bloodmoon you'll need a
    different one.

    Make sure your gfx drivers are current.

    Wierd problem :/

    -mb

    markB wrote:

    > Bev expounded thusly :
    > > markB wrote:
    > >> You might try asking here, at the official MW forums:
    > >>
    > >> www.elderscrolls.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php
    > >>
    > >> Wondering if the paperdoll is still active even if you can't see it
    > >> -- drag something over there and see if it equips?
    > >>
    > >> Good luck!
    > >>
    > >> -mb
    > >
    > > Mike, big discovery. My character really is invisible. I have
    > > suddenly realised that my character should have been visible from the
    > > moment I started the game. All I have is a small bright cross I can
    > > move around instead of the character, which explains why I have an
    > > empty box in my inventory. At least I am assuming this.
    >
    > Heh. Nice try :) That's the crosshairs that tells you what you're
    > aiming at for activating, attacking, speaking to, etc. You can toggle
    > it in the Options menu. It's a 1st person game, so you're out of the
    > picture mostly, unless you hit or hold the TAB key.
    >
    > > The tunic
    > > and gear my character is supposed to be wearing is sitting in the
    > > inventory box beside the non picture.
    >
    > Drag it to the empty window. But if it's got a highlighted border, it's
    > already equipped.
    >
    > Anyway, make sure you're patched:
    >
    > http://www.bethsoft.com/downloads/patches/Morrowind_v1.2.0722.exe
    >
    > That's MW, but if you put in Tribune and Bloodmoon you'll need a
    > different one.
    >
    > Make sure your gfx drivers are current.
    >
    > Wierd problem :/
    >
    > -mb

    Thanks for the patch site Mark, I've downloaded it. I still have an
    empty box though but I see that the tunic and other clothes, plus the
    dagger became highlighted (with squares around them) after I dragged
    them into the empty box. When I looked at my character he was clothed
    and had a dagger in his hand when I clicked F button - so perhaps I can
    manage without the picture :) I have just had a new motherboard
    installed so perhaps this is part of the problem. I am not particularly
    brilliant with the innards of computers so don't know if my gfx drivers
    are current.

    Bev

    > manage without the picture :) I have just had a new motherboard
    > installed so perhaps this is part of the problem. I am not particularly
    > brilliant with the innards of computers so don't know if my gfx drivers
    > are current.

    Easy:
    a- If your graphic card is ATI Radeon series, you need Catalyst4.6,
    http://www.ati.com/home/online/CatalystXPdriver.html
    (assuming you're using Winxp)

    b- If your graphic card is Nvidia GeForce series, you need Forceware 56.72
    drivers,
    http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/56.72/56.72_winxp2k_english_whql.exe
    (assuming you're using Winxp or win2000)

    c- If your graphic card is NOT ati or nvidia, you're in trouble :)

    "Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> skrev i en meddelelse
    > markB wrote:
    > >
    > > Bev expounded thusly :

    > > > Mike, big discovery. My character really is invisible. I have
    > > > suddenly realised that my character should have been visible from
    the
    > > > moment I started the game. All I have is a small bright cross I
    can
    > > > move around instead of the character, which explains why I have an
    > > > empty box in my inventory. At least I am assuming this.
    > >
    > > Heh. Nice try :) That's the crosshairs that tells you what you're
    > > aiming at for activating, attacking, speaking to, etc. You can toggle
    > > it in the Options menu. It's a 1st person game, so you're out of the
    > > picture mostly, unless you hit or hold the TAB key.
    > >
    > > > The tunic
    > > > and gear my character is supposed to be wearing is sitting in the
    > > > inventory box beside the non picture.
    > >
    > > Drag it to the empty window. But if it's got a highlighted border,
    it's
    > > already equipped.
    > >
    > > Anyway, make sure you're patched:
    > >
    > > http://www.bethsoft.com/downloads/patches/Morrowind_v1.2.0722.exe
    > >
    > > That's MW, but if you put in Tribune and Bloodmoon you'll need a
    > > different one.
    > >
    > > Make sure your gfx drivers are current.
    > >
    > > Wierd problem :/
    > >
    > > -mb
    >
    > Thanks for the patch site Mark, I've downloaded it. I still have an
    > empty box though but I see that the tunic and other clothes, plus the
    > dagger became highlighted (with squares around them) after I dragged
    > them into the empty box. When I looked at my character he was clothed
    > and had a dagger in his hand when I clicked F button - so perhaps I can
    > manage without the picture :) I have just had a new motherboard
    > installed so perhaps this is part of the problem. I am not particularly
    > brilliant with the innards of computers so don't know if my gfx drivers
    > are current.
    >
    > Bev
    > --

    maybe the problem the 'face' of your character.
    Open the console (hit the '~' key) and type
    'enableracemenu' and hit 'enter'
    Chose another face from the menu
    and save. Some of the faces do turn up
    blank - ie. 'invisible', sometimes.
    Also check the meshes- and textures
    folders in you data files folder. The
    'invisibilyt' could be caused by the
    game being unable to find the correct
    mesh and texture files. These files are
    named after which race (breton, redguard etc)
    they are used for and will typical be in the b-folder

    merlin

    > Thanks for the patch site Mark, I've downloaded it. I still have an
    > empty box though but I see that the tunic and other clothes, plus the
    > dagger became highlighted (with squares around them) after I dragged
    > them into the empty box. When I looked at my character he was clothed
    > and had a dagger in his hand when I clicked F button - so perhaps I can
    > manage without the picture :) I have just had a new motherboard
    > installed so perhaps this is part of the problem. I am not particularly
    > brilliant with the innards of computers so don't know if my gfx drivers
    > are current.

    Great!

    Now, with your weapon visible in your right hand, press the Tab key.
    Do you now see yourself from behind?

    Now, press and hold the tab key and move the mouse to one side. That
    movement should rotate your view, so you can get a good look at yourself.

    Akatosh Dragon wrote:

    > "Bev" <bevdun@xtra.co.nz> skrev i en meddelelse
    > > markB wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Bev expounded thusly :

    > the
    > can
    > > >
    > > > Heh. Nice try :) That's the crosshairs that tells you what you're
    > > > aiming at for activating, attacking, speaking to, etc. You can toggle
    > > > it in the Options menu. It's a 1st person game, so you're out of the
    > > > picture mostly, unless you hit or hold the TAB key.

    > > > Drag it to the empty window. But if it's got a highlighted border,
    > it's
    > > > already equipped.
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, make sure you're patched:
    > > >
    > > > http://www.bethsoft.com/downloads/patches/Morrowind_v1.2.0722.exe
    > > >
    > > > That's MW, but if you put in Tribune and Bloodmoon you'll need a
    > > > different one.
    > > >
    > > > Make sure your gfx drivers are current.
    > > >
    > > > Wierd problem :/
    > > >
    > > > -mb
    > >
    > > Thanks for the patch site Mark, I've downloaded it. I still have an
    > > empty box though but I see that the tunic and other clothes, plus the
    > > dagger became highlighted (with squares around them) after I dragged
    > > them into the empty box. When I looked at my character he was clothed
    > > and had a dagger in his hand when I clicked F button - so perhaps I can
    > > manage without the picture :) I have just had a new motherboard
    > > installed so perhaps this is part of the problem. I am not particularly
    > > brilliant with the innards of computers so don't know if my gfx drivers
    > > are current.
    > >
    > > Bev
    > > --
    >
    > maybe the problem the 'face' of your character.
    > Open the console (hit the '~' key) and type
    > 'enableracemenu' and hit 'enter'
    > Chose another face from the menu
    > and save. Some of the faces do turn up
    > blank - ie. 'invisible', sometimes.
    > Also check the meshes- and textures
    > folders in you data files folder. The
    > 'invisibilyt' could be caused by the
    > game being unable to find the correct
    > mesh and texture files. These files are
    > named after which race (breton, redguard etc)
    > they are used for and will typical be in the b-folder
    >
    > merlin

    Asestar, Thanks for this but I use W98 so guess the options don't
    apply to me :) Things are going OK in the game except for the empty
    picture.

    Merlin, your solution looks promising but the only trouble is that when
    I get the console menu up and type in 'enableracemenu' the whole thing
    disappears and I'm out of the game! Any ideas?

    Bev

    Bev wrote:

    > Asestar, Thanks for this but I use W98 so guess the options don't
    > apply to me :) Things are going OK in the game except for the empty
    > picture.

    I also use Windows 98, so for ATI, you'd want version 4.3 of the
    Catalyst drivers. For Nvidia, you'd download the same version as
    everyone else, since it's a unified file for all versions of Windows.
    But both the Nvidia and ATI Websites have nice, userfriendly interfaces
    to help you choose the correct driver to download. The key thing is,
    you'd need to know what video card you've actually got.

    > Merlin, your solution looks promising but the only trouble is that when
    > I get the console menu up and type in 'enableracemenu' the whole thing
    > disappears and I'm out of the game! Any ideas?

    It sounds to me like somehow, your installation of the game got messed
    up. It also doesn't sound like you've gotten very far into the game. I'd
    suggest uninstalling it completely, then reinstalling it.

    Also, if you've got the Game of the Year addition, which is what you're
    most likely to have if you've bought it recently, you won't need to
    patch the game, as it already has the final patch installed. Just be
    sure to install first Morrowind, second Tribunal, and third Bloodmoon.
    (As far as I can tell, there's no need for The Elder Scrolls
    Construction Set CD at all, since the default installation of Morrowind
    installs it anyway.)

Games Video Games