Corrupt Administrator profile

aztech

I have a server that kicks me back to the Ctrl Alt Del screen as soon as it
begins to load the administrator profile. The machine had spyware but it was
removed. After the removal was when this began. I tried last known good
config but, that didn't work. The only user that has log on locally rights is
administrator. Is there any way through recovery console or anywhere else to
either repair the profile or create a new user with logon locally rights?

what OS?

"Aztech" <Aztech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a server that kicks me back to the Ctrl Alt Del screen as soon as it
> begins to load the administrator profile. The machine had spyware but it
> was
> removed. After the removal was when this began. I tried last known good
> config but, that didn't work. The only user that has log on locally rights
> is
> administrator. Is there any way through recovery console or anywhere else
> either repair the profile or create a new user with logon locally rights?

In news:CF8FE6F2-1DB4-40A2-A6FA-FF8152161561@microsoft.com,
Aztech <Aztech@discussions.microsoft.com> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> I have a server that kicks me back to the Ctrl Alt Del
> screen as soon as it begins to load the administrator
> profile. The machine had spyware but it was removed.
> After the removal was when this began. I tried last known
> good config but, that didn't work. The only user that has
> log on locally rights is administrator. Is there any way
> through recovery console or anywhere else to either
> repair the profile or create a new user with logon
> locally rights?

If you have a user profile on the machine that isn't corrupted, logon to the
machine with a user that has local administrative rights, then in the system
control panel user profiles tab (Win2k) or Advanced tab (XP) copy the good
profile to the corupted profile directory giving Administrator "allow to
use" permissions. This will delete the profile and copy the new profile in
giving the needed rights.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

aztech

2000 Server.
There are only 2 user accounts: Administrator and Register. Register does
not have login locally rights and therefore I cant login at all.

"kidem" wrote:

> what OS?
>

> "Aztech" <Aztech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have a server that kicks me back to the Ctrl Alt Del screen as soon as it
> > begins to load the administrator profile. The machine had spyware but it
> > was
> > removed. After the removal was when this began. I tried last known good
> > config but, that didn't work. The only user that has log on locally rights
> > is
> > administrator. Is there any way through recovery console or anywhere else
> > either repair the profile or create a new user with logon locally rights?

"Aztech" <Aztech@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a server that kicks me back to the Ctrl Alt Del screen as soon as it
> begins to load the administrator profile. The machine had spyware but it
> was
> removed. After the removal was when this began. I tried last known good
> config but, that didn't work. The only user that has log on locally rights
> is
> administrator. Is there any way through recovery console or anywhere else
> either repair the profile or create a new user with logon locally rights?

This is actually fairly easy to resolve.

From another machine, connect to the \\machinename\c$ administrative share
using the administrator account for credentials.

From there, go to the documents and settings directory and rename the
directory with the administrator profile in it. (No point in deleting it.)

Then when you go to log in locally again, it will create a new administrator
profile from the default profile and you should be good to go.

aztech

Doug,
I was able to rename the profile from a remote machine and a new on was
recreated but the problem still persists. Any other suggestions?