Moving user profile when joining a domain

Joe

I have several networked XP "home" machines that were upgraded to XP Pro so
that I could join them to a existing domain. Joining was successful except
that a new "user" was created in a different folder in "Documents and
settings".

What is the best way to move all of the users content over? Do I just
litteraly do a copy from the local username folder to the new domain.username
folder? If so, Do I delete the old folder and SIDs under the advanced tab in
users and settings?

PS The orginal Administrator password is unknown. I get privigles by logging
on to domain with my administrator account (if it matters)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I do not have an XP system right now, but if you right-click on "My
Computer" and go to Properties, there should be something in there somewhere
called "User Profiles". This will show you the list of User profiles on the
system. Here you can highlight the old profile and click on "copy to". Then
browse to the new profile location and let the wizard do the copying for
you. It will set the necessary permission, too.

Of course, you can also do the standard file copy and reset the permissions
manually. I would let the wizard do it, though.

--

Sincerely,
Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
"Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have several networked XP "home" machines that were upgraded to XP Pro so
> that I could join them to a existing domain. Joining was successful except
> that a new "user" was created in a different folder in "Documents and
> settings".
>
> What is the best way to move all of the users content over? Do I just
> litteraly do a copy from the local username folder to the new
> domain.username
> folder? If so, Do I delete the old folder and SIDs under the advanced tab
> in
> users and settings?
>
> PS The orginal Administrator password is unknown. I get privigles by
> logging
> on to domain with my administrator account (if it matters)

Another alternative to Deji's is to get the moveuser.exe from w2k resource
kit. I'm not sure if this will work on the xp machines, but I found the
utility was excellent in copying the entire profile.

Actually, I just googled and found this link to w2k3 tools that include the
moveuser.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

Good luck,
Chris
"Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
> I do not have an XP system right now, but if you right-click on "My
> Computer" and go to Properties, there should be something in there
somewhere
> called "User Profiles". This will show you the list of User profiles on
the
> system. Here you can highlight the old profile and click on "copy to".
Then
> browse to the new profile location and let the wizard do the copying for
> you. It will set the necessary permission, too.
>
> Of course, you can also do the standard file copy and reset the
permissions
> manually. I would let the wizard do it, though.
>
> --
>
> Sincerely,
> Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
> Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> www.readymaids.com - we know IT
> www.akomolafe.com
> Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
> Yesterday? -anon
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I have several networked XP "home" machines that were upgraded to XP Pro
so
> > that I could join them to a existing domain. Joining was successful
except
> > that a new "user" was created in a different folder in "Documents and
> > settings".
> >
> > What is the best way to move all of the users content over? Do I just
> > litteraly do a copy from the local username folder to the new
> > domain.username
> > folder? If so, Do I delete the old folder and SIDs under the advanced
tab
> > in
> > users and settings?
> >
> > PS The orginal Administrator password is unknown. I get privigles by
> > logging
> > on to domain with my administrator account (if it matters)
> >
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Thanks to both of you. I will give both these a try. to "C Hall", I followed
that link and it says it is a resourse kit for server 2003. This server is
W2000. Have you tried that moveuser utility on a 2000 server?

Thanks

"C Hall" wrote:

> Another alternative to Deji's is to get the moveuser.exe from w2k resource
> kit. I'm not sure if this will work on the xp machines, but I found the
> utility was excellent in copying the entire profile.
>
> Actually, I just googled and found this link to w2k3 tools that include the
> moveuser.
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en
>
> Good luck,
> Chris
> "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
> > I do not have an XP system right now, but if you right-click on "My
> > Computer" and go to Properties, there should be something in there
> somewhere
> > called "User Profiles". This will show you the list of User profiles on
> the
> > system. Here you can highlight the old profile and click on "copy to".
> Then
> > browse to the new profile location and let the wizard do the copying for
> > you. It will set the necessary permission, too.
> >
> > Of course, you can also do the standard file copy and reset the
> permissions
> > manually. I would let the wizard do it, though.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Sincerely,
> > Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
> > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> > www.readymaids.com - we know IT
> > www.akomolafe.com
> > Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
> > Yesterday? -anon
> > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I have several networked XP "home" machines that were upgraded to XP Pro
> so
> > > that I could join them to a existing domain. Joining was successful
> except
> > > that a new "user" was created in a different folder in "Documents and
> > > settings".
> > >
> > > What is the best way to move all of the users content over? Do I just
> > > litteraly do a copy from the local username folder to the new
> > > domain.username
> > > folder? If so, Do I delete the old folder and SIDs under the advanced
> tab
> > > in
> > > users and settings?
> > >
> > > PS The orginal Administrator password is unknown. I get privigles by
> > > logging
> > > on to domain with my administrator account (if it matters)

I have not. Google: "moveuser.exe windows 2000 site:microsoft.com" (without
the parentheses) and you should find the w2k resource kit.

> Thanks to both of you. I will give both these a try. to "C Hall", I
followed
> that link and it says it is a resourse kit for server 2003. This server is
> W2000. Have you tried that moveuser utility on a 2000 server?
>
> Thanks
>
> "C Hall" wrote:
>
> > Another alternative to Deji's is to get the moveuser.exe from w2k
resource
> > kit. I'm not sure if this will work on the xp machines, but I found the
> > utility was excellent in copying the entire profile.
> >
> > Actually, I just googled and found this link to w2k3 tools that include
the
> > moveuser.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

> > Good luck,
> > Chris
> > "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
> > > I do not have an XP system right now, but if you right-click on "My
> > > Computer" and go to Properties, there should be something in there
> > somewhere
> > > called "User Profiles". This will show you the list of User profiles
on
> > the
> > > system. Here you can highlight the old profile and click on "copy to".
> > Then
> > > browse to the new profile location and let the wizard do the copying
for
> > > you. It will set the necessary permission, too.
> > >
> > > Of course, you can also do the standard file copy and reset the
> > permissions
> > > manually. I would let the wizard do it, though.
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> > > Sincerely,
> > > Dèjì Akómöláfé, MCSE+M MCSA+M MCP+I
> > > Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
> > > www.readymaids.com - we know IT
> > > www.akomolafe.com
> > > Do you now realize that Today is the Tomorrow you were worried about
> > > Yesterday? -anon
> > > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
Pro
> > so
> > except

> > tab

Joe

Never could find the file itself, only references to it, it under 2000. But I
did some research on the Microsoft site and found that the moveuser.exe in
the 2003 resoures kit will work with W2000, XP, and W2003! Again thanks for
your help. I'm going to set up a simulation in my shop this week end and give
it a try. (I am still going to go back and see if I can download the 2000 kit
and see what the difference are, if any)

"C Hall" wrote:

> I have not. Google: "moveuser.exe windows 2000 site:microsoft.com" (without
> the parentheses) and you should find the w2k resource kit.
>
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Thanks to both of you. I will give both these a try. to "C Hall", I
> followed
> > that link and it says it is a resourse kit for server 2003. This server is
> > W2000. Have you tried that moveuser utility on a 2000 server?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "C Hall" wrote:
> >
> > > Another alternative to Deji's is to get the moveuser.exe from w2k
> resource
> > > kit. I'm not sure if this will work on the xp machines, but I found the
> > > utility was excellent in copying the entire profile.
> > >
> > > Actually, I just googled and found this link to w2k3 tools that include
> the
> > > moveuser.
> > >
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en
> > >
> > > Good luck,
> > > Chris
> > > "Deji Akomolafe" <noemail@akomolafe.dotcom> wrote in message
> > > somewhere
> on
> > > the
> > > Then
> for

> > > permissions

> Pro
> > > so
> > > except
> and

> just
> > > tab

Good luck. I found the utility to be excellent and a big help.

> Never could find the file itself, only references to it, it under 2000.
But I
> did some research on the Microsoft site and found that the moveuser.exe in
> the 2003 resoures kit will work with W2000, XP, and W2003! Again thanks
for
> your help. I'm going to set up a simulation in my shop this week end and
give
> it a try. (I am still going to go back and see if I can download the 2000
kit
> and see what the difference are, if any)
>
> "C Hall" wrote:
>
> > I have not. Google: "moveuser.exe windows 2000 site:microsoft.com"
(without
> > the parentheses) and you should find the w2k resource kit.
> >
> > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Thanks to both of you. I will give both these a try. to "C Hall", I
> > followed
> > > that link and it says it is a resourse kit for server 2003. This
server is
> > > W2000. Have you tried that moveuser utility on a 2000 server?
> > >
> > > Thanks

> > resource

> > the

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

> > on
> > for

XP
> > Pro
> > and

> > just

Joe

Your'e right. It works like a charm. I tried the copy /move under the
advanced tab and that glitched. I redid it with moveuser and it fixed it. I
tried it on several other moves and all went well. Apparently it only works
if you have already created the new login - right? It appears you cann't move
to a non existant profile.

Joe

"C Hall" wrote:

> Good luck. I found the utility to be excellent and a big help.
>
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Never could find the file itself, only references to it, it under 2000.
> But I
> > did some research on the Microsoft site and found that the moveuser.exe in
> > the 2003 resoures kit will work with W2000, XP, and W2003! Again thanks
> for
> > your help. I'm going to set up a simulation in my shop this week end and
> give
> > it a try. (I am still going to go back and see if I can download the 2000
> kit
> > and see what the difference are, if any)
> >
> > "C Hall" wrote:
> >
> > > I have not. Google: "moveuser.exe windows 2000 site:microsoft.com"
> (without
> > > the parentheses) and you should find the w2k resource kit.
> > >
> > > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > followed
> server is

> > > resource
> the

> include
> > > the
> > > > >

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

> "My
> profiles
> > > on
> to".
> copying
> > > for

> about
> XP
> > > Pro
> successful
> "Documents
> > > and

> > > just

> privigles by

I've actually had it work better on a non-existent profile. Here's some of
the documentation I used:

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/27419/27419.html

> Your'e right. It works like a charm. I tried the copy /move under the
> advanced tab and that glitched. I redid it with moveuser and it fixed it.
> tried it on several other moves and all went well. Apparently it only
works
> if you have already created the new login - right? It appears you cann't
move
> to a non existant profile.
>
> Joe
>
> "C Hall" wrote:
>
> > Good luck. I found the utility to be excellent and a big help.
> >
> > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Never could find the file itself, only references to it, it under
2000.
> > But I
> > > did some research on the Microsoft site and found that the
moveuser.exe in
> > > the 2003 resoures kit will work with W2000, XP, and W2003! Again
thanks
> > for
> > > your help. I'm going to set up a simulation in my shop this week end
and
> > give
> > > it a try. (I am still going to go back and see if I can download the
2000
> > kit
> > > and see what the difference are, if any)

> > (without

> > server is

> > the

> > include

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

> > "My
> > profiles
> > to".
> > copying

> > about
> > XP
> > successful
> > "Documents

Do I

> > privigles by

Joe

Outstanding, thanks again! I really appreciate your help. (Why do I get the
feeling youv'e been there before me!!)

"C Hall" wrote:

> I've actually had it work better on a non-existent profile. Here's some of
> the documentation I used:
>
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/27419/27419.html
>
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Your'e right. It works like a charm. I tried the copy /move under the
> > advanced tab and that glitched. I redid it with moveuser and it fixed it.
> > tried it on several other moves and all went well. Apparently it only
> works
> > if you have already created the new login - right? It appears you cann't
> move
> > to a non existant profile.
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > "C Hall" wrote:
> >
> > > Good luck. I found the utility to be excellent and a big help.
> > >
> > > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 2000.
> > > But I
> moveuser.exe in
> thanks
> > > for
> and
> > > give
> 2000
> > > kit

> > > (without

> > > server is

> w2k
> found
> > > the

> > > include
> > > > > > >

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

> on
> > > "My
> there
> > > profiles
> "copy
> > > to".
> > > copying

> the

> > > about
> upgraded to
> > > XP
> > > successful
> > > "Documents

> Do I
> new

> > > privigles by

Joe

When using "moveuser.exe" I get an error message that it failed because the
account does not exist. Yet it does. I used the account to logon with to
check it out. I tried this from both the local admin account and from the
server admin account loging in on the local machine, same result.

I also cant move the account from the "system properties-advanced
tab-profiles" because the account I want to move has the copy button "greyed
out" I.E. you can not select "copy".

This comperter is running XPpro, but it was upgraded from W98 I believe.

Any Ideas on how to fix otherthan doing manual file copies as a last resort

"C Hall" wrote:

> I've actually had it work better on a non-existent profile. Here's some of
> the documentation I used:
>
> http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/27419/27419.html
>
> "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Your'e right. It works like a charm. I tried the copy /move under the
> > advanced tab and that glitched. I redid it with moveuser and it fixed it.
> > tried it on several other moves and all went well. Apparently it only
> works
> > if you have already created the new login - right? It appears you cann't
> move
> > to a non existant profile.
> >
> > Joe
> >
> > "C Hall" wrote:
> >
> > > Good luck. I found the utility to be excellent and a big help.
> > >
> > > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> 2000.
> > > But I
> moveuser.exe in
> thanks
> > > for
> and
> > > give
> 2000
> > > kit

> > > (without

> > > server is

> w2k
> found
> > > the

> > > include
> > > > > > >

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

> on
> > > "My
> there
> > > profiles
> "copy
> > > to".
> > > copying

> the

> > > about
> upgraded to
> > > XP
> > > successful
> > > "Documents

> Do I
> new

> > > privigles by

Joe,

I'm not sure on this one. I had meant to send a link to the documentation,
but either I got waylaid or it didn't go through. Here's what I used to
learn about moveuser.

http://www.windowsitpro.com/Article/ArticleID/27419/27419.html?Ad=1

Here's what a google search on the windows it pro site pulled:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=moveuser.exe+site%3Awindowsitpro.com

Since I used this utility on a win2k, you may want to use the w2k3
version...
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&q=moveuser.exe+site%3Amicrosoft.com

> When using "moveuser.exe" I get an error message that it failed because
the
> account does not exist. Yet it does. I used the account to logon with to
> check it out. I tried this from both the local admin account and from the
> server admin account loging in on the local machine, same result.
>
> I also cant move the account from the "system properties-advanced
> tab-profiles" because the account I want to move has the copy button
"greyed
> out" I.E. you can not select "copy".
>
> This comperter is running XPpro, but it was upgraded from W98 I believe.
>
> Any Ideas on how to fix otherthan doing manual file copies as a last
resort

> "C Hall" wrote:
>
> > I've actually had it work better on a non-existent profile. Here's some
of
> > the documentation I used:
> >
> > http://www.windowsitpro.com/Windows/Article/ArticleID/27419/27419.html
> >
> > "Joe" <Joe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > Your'e right. It works like a charm. I tried the copy /move under the
> > > advanced tab and that glitched. I redid it with moveuser and it fixed
it.
> > > tried it on several other moves and all went well. Apparently it only
> > works
> > > if you have already created the new login - right? It appears you
cann't
> > move
> > > to a non existant profile.
> > >
> > > Joe

> > 2000.
> > moveuser.exe in
> > thanks
> > and
> > 2000

site:microsoft.com"

Hall",
This

> > w2k
> > found

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9d467a69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

> > on
> > there
User
> > "copy

> > the

> > upgraded to

> > Do I
> > new

Joe

Thanks again for the reply. Your links are most helpful. Your research
abilities are terrific!
In this case I don't believe move user is the problem, apparently the user
entry in the registry is the issue. Why i dont know. One can only assume that
it is an upgrade from 98 which was not domain orentiated. I am having some
other weird issues in units that were upgraded from XP home which was also
not domain orentiated.