Subject: Safely remove a DC from AD
Date: 3/7
From: Mr. Coco

You should find your answers there. Post back if you have any follow-up
questions.

"Rubens Luque Sanches Jr." <rsanches@service.com.br> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I have two Domain Controllers A e B. In last year I cloned the disk of
> Domain Controller B.
> Today, Domain Controller B crashed disk.
>
> If I to replace the crashed disk by older cloned disk and to start Domain
> Controller B again, the version of AD will be out-of-date.
>
> Does replication will work ? Or, do I need return a system state backup
> before to put Domain Controller B on line again ?
>
> thanks,
> Rubens

Don't bother with the cloned disk, the data will most likely be past the
tombstone lifetime and therefore not of much use. You also don't really need
to restore from backup in this case as you have a second DC on the network
(smart move), you can just rebuild DC B from that.
First of all, do a metadata cleanup on DC A to remove all references to DC
B. Follow the instructions in this article
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/216498

Once you have done that, rebuild DC B and run dcpromo from scratch which
will promote B using the data from A.