Photo Printer -- battle between the best

Hi, all. I have narrowed my choice of best photo printers to Epson or
Canon. I am having trouble selecting due to some posts in this group,
such as, Epson printers have printer ink problems, Canon's prints are
as good as Epson. Can anyone who has a Canon or Epson printer reply
with their pros and cons so I can make a decision please. I am looking
in the 200.00 or less range.

Thanks all.

BURT

There is a series of posts on this NG about the ideal printer. Worth
reading before you chose. It really depends on what you want to do with it.
A few sites you can go on - Steve's digicam (google this as I don't have the
link handy) site reviews printers. www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff
primarily about Canon printers, compatable papers, and third party inks if
you should wish to use them (I do with my Canon I960).
www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for lots of interesting information if you are
interested in aftermarket inks, primarily for Canon photo printers. I am
not trying to sell you on using aftermarket inks. I can only tell you that
I have used them successfully, but you have to be selective in the ones you
decide to use. Newer Epson printers (I also use an older one with dye based
inks) have pigment based inks which produce a more long lasting image.
Whichever one you decide to buy, it is necessary to use it frequently and
not let it sit idle for a prolonged period of time as you will risk getting
head clogs, either with OEM or aftermarket inks. If you decide to buy
Canon, Slade's site has great information on maintenance and fixing clogged
heads. For Epson printers, you should look up the most recent posts from
Arthur Entlich and email him a request for his (free) Epson head cleaning
manual. You know the motto - "Be prepared." Just as it is a good idea to
know what to do when an idiot light comes on the dash of your car or a guage
reading is not normal, it is a good idea to have more knowledge about the
printer you buy than the manufacturer provides for you. Best of luck to you
on your purchase, Will in SF, from Burt - also in SF.

Will in SF wrote:

>Hi, all. I have narrowed my choice of best photo printers to Epson or
>Canon. I am having trouble selecting due to some posts in this group,
>such as, Epson printers have printer ink problems, Canon's prints are
>as good as Epson. Can anyone who has a Canon or Epson printer reply
>with their pros and cons so I can make a decision please. I am looking
>in the 200.00 or less range.
>
>Thanks all.

I have a Canon IP4000. This was rated by PC Mag as the best value and
the best Canon Printer other than the $350 model. It has a dual paper
feed. I use the cassette for business documents and the top autosheet
feeder for photos. The Epson competitive model is the R300. It does
not have dual paper feed.

Also the IP4000 can print full duplex. This is very handy for business
documents and printing stuff off of the Internet. The printer, in
addition to the 3 dye colors and the dye black, the printer has a
pigmented black use primarily for business documents.

While expensive to replace, the Canon has a user installable printhead.
The IP4000 is much faster than the R300, print substantially better in
business document mode, and marginally better in photo mode producing
more striking and vibrant photo colors.

The North American version of this printer does not print directly on
CDs but the European model does. If this is a must then you must
compromise and get the R300. The design of the CD tray on the R300 is
defective and is causing many users a host of problems with faulty feeds.

The R300 is an ink guzzler draining your expensive ink supply each time
you turn it on and when you print. The Canon inks at Costco are less
expensive than Epson, about $9.00.

I recommend that you use OEM inks unless your print load is very high.
In that case you should look into and take the risk by using 3rd party
carts. I have read much of the instructions on refilling and it appears
to be a messy pain in the ass.

There are about a half dozen regular tinkerers on this NG who will tell
you different. Go to the store and see for your self.

Before I bought my printer I went to Frys on the weekend and spoke with
both the Canon Factory Rep and the Epson Rep. Except for the subjective
evaluations, the two were in basic agreement with why I said in this
Post. Good Luck

Burt wrote:

>There is a series of posts on this NG about the ideal printer. Worth
>reading before you chose. It really depends on what you want to do with it.
>A few sites you can go on - Steve's digicam (google this as I don't have the
>link handy) site reviews printers. www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff
>primarily about Canon printers, compatable papers, and third party inks if
>you should wish to use them (I do with my Canon I960).

And

http://www.pcmag.com

>www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for lots of interesting information if you are
>interested in aftermarket inks, primarily for Canon photo printers. I am
>not trying to sell you on using aftermarket inks.

Oh yes he is. That is all he and a few others profess around here.
Then you can be just like them and tinker instead of enjoying
photography and producing business documents.

>I can only tell you that
>I have used them successfully, but you have to be selective in the ones you
>decide to use.

Very Very selective. And only if your print load requires it. Saving
$100 in a year is not all that much. I spend more than that on lattes
at Starbucks.

>Newer Epson printers (I also use an older one with dye based
>inks) have pigment based inks which produce a more long lasting image.

Where the ink is very costly and pigmented inks have a greater
propensity to clog.

>Whichever one you decide to buy, it is necessary to use it frequently and
>not let it sit idle for a prolonged period of time as you will risk getting
>head clogs, either with OEM or aftermarket inks.

I print photos a few times a week. I have not had a headclog since I
have owned the printer. I also have an HP that I use for business
document since my model has a draft mode that rivals letter quality and
does full duplex. If you are not going to use the printer frequently
and you are worried about printhead clogs then the HP has a new
printhead built in with each cartridge. But is does cost more. If you
consider the HP go with the model (8000 series) that allows you to have
3 carts installed at once so you do not have to play musical carts.

>If you decide to buy
>Canon, Slade's site has great information on maintenance and fixing clogged
>heads.

I am not knocking Neil Slade but this entire group are so pre-occupied
with clogged heads because they are advocators for aftermarket inks, the
majority of which are high risk.

>For Epson printers, you should look up the most recent posts from
>Arthur Entlich and email him a request for his (free) Epson head cleaning
>manual. You know the motto - "Be prepared."

Better to Be Informed

>Just as it is a good idea to
>know what to do when an idiot light comes on the dash of your car or a guage
>reading is not normal, it is a good idea to have more knowledge about the
>printer you buy than the manufacturer provides for you. Best of luck to you
>on your purchase, Will in SF, from Burt - also in SF.
>
>"Will in SF" <willinsf@comcast.net> wrote in message
>

>>Hi, all. I have narrowed my choice of best photo printers to Epson or
>>Canon. I am having trouble selecting due to some posts in this group,
>>such as, Epson printers have printer ink problems, Canon's prints are
>>as good as Epson. Can anyone who has a Canon or Epson printer reply
>>with their pros and cons so I can make a decision please. I am looking
>>in the 200.00 or less range.
>>
>>Thanks all.

BURT

> Will in SF wrote:
>
>>Hi, all. I have narrowed my choice of best photo printers to Epson or
>>Canon. I am having trouble selecting due to some posts in this group,
>>such as, Epson printers have printer ink problems, Canon's prints are
>>as good as Epson. Can anyone who has a Canon or Epson printer reply
>>with their pros and cons so I can make a decision please. I am looking
>>in the 200.00 or less range.
>>Thanks all.
>>

> I have a Canon IP4000. This was rated by PC Mag as the best value and the
> best Canon Printer other than the $350 model. It has a dual paper feed. I
> use the cassette for business documents and the top autosheet feeder for
> photos. The Epson competitive model is the R300. It does not have dual
> paper feed.
>
> Also the IP4000 can print full duplex. This is very handy for business
> documents and printing stuff off of the Internet. The printer, in addition
> to the 3 dye colors and the dye black, the printer has a pigmented black
> use primarily for business documents.
>
> While expensive to replace, the Canon has a user installable printhead.
> The IP4000 is much faster than the R300, print substantially better in
> business document mode, and marginally better in photo mode producing more
> striking and vibrant photo colors.
>
> The North American version of this printer does not print directly on CDs
> but the European model does. If this is a must then you must compromise
> and get the R300. The design of the CD tray on the R300 is defective and
> is causing many users a host of problems with faulty feeds.
>
> The R300 is an ink guzzler draining your expensive ink supply each time
> you turn it on and when you print. The Canon inks at Costco are less
> expensive than Epson, about $9.00.
>
> I recommend that you use OEM inks unless your print load is very high. In
> that case you should look into and take the risk by using 3rd party carts.
> I have read much of the instructions on refilling and it appears to be a
> messy pain in the ass.

(snip)

Will - you may have noticed that Measekite has a running dialogue
(diatribe?) with several of us on this NG who do refilling of cartridges
although he, admittedly, doesn't do refilling or use aftermarket cartridges
himself. Cost is about $1 per refill. Works fine and is easy to do once
you figure out the little tricks. If you wish to refill Canon cartridges
you can read the basic technique on Slade's site and get some more info on
the Nifty stuff site I mentioned. Most of the online ink vendors also have
instructions. Again, I'm not trying to sell you on this idea, but if you
want more info several of us can help you with it.

Burt wrote:

>>Will in SF wrote:
>>

>>>Hi, all. I have narrowed my choice of best photo printers to Epson or
>>>Canon. I am having trouble selecting due to some posts in this group,
>>>such as, Epson printers have printer ink problems, Canon's prints are
>>>as good as Epson. Can anyone who has a Canon or Epson printer reply
>>>with their pros and cons so I can make a decision please. I am looking
>>>in the 200.00 or less range.
>>>Thanks all.
>>>

>>I have a Canon IP4000. This was rated by PC Mag as the best value and the
>>best Canon Printer other than the $350 model. It has a dual paper feed. I
>>use the cassette for business documents and the top autosheet feeder for
>>photos. The Epson competitive model is the R300. It does not have dual
>>paper feed.
>>
>>Also the IP4000 can print full duplex. This is very handy for business
>>documents and printing stuff off of the Internet. The printer, in addition
>>to the 3 dye colors and the dye black, the printer has a pigmented black
>>use primarily for business documents.
>>
>>While expensive to replace, the Canon has a user installable printhead.
>>The IP4000 is much faster than the R300, print substantially better in
>>business document mode, and marginally better in photo mode producing more
>>striking and vibrant photo colors.
>>
>>The North American version of this printer does not print directly on CDs
>>but the European model does. If this is a must then you must compromise
>>and get the R300. The design of the CD tray on the R300 is defective and
>>is causing many users a host of problems with faulty feeds.
>>
>>The R300 is an ink guzzler draining your expensive ink supply each time
>>you turn it on and when you print. The Canon inks at Costco are less
>>expensive than Epson, about $9.00.
>>
>>I recommend that you use OEM inks unless your print load is very high. In
>>that case you should look into and take the risk by using 3rd party carts.
>>I have read much of the instructions on refilling and it appears to be a
>>messy pain in the ass.
>>

>(snip)
>
>Will - you may have noticed that Measekite has a running dialogue
>(diatribe?) with several of us on this NG who do refilling of cartridges
>although he, admittedly, doesn't do refilling or use aftermarket cartridges
>himself. Cost is about $1 per refill. Works fine and is easy to do once
>you figure out the little tricks. If you wish to refill Canon cartridges
>you can read the basic technique on Slade's site and get some more info on
>the Nifty stuff site I mentioned. Most of the online ink vendors also have
>instructions. Again, I'm not trying to sell you on this idea,

Oh but he and his friends are.

> but if you
>want more info several of us can help you with it.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> Burt wrote:
>
>> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> I have a Canon IP4000. This was rated by PC Mag as the best value
>>> and the best Canon Printer other than the $350 model. It has a dual
>>> paper feed. I use the cassette for business documents and the top
>>> autosheet feeder for photos. The Epson competitive model is the
>>> R300. It does not have dual paper feed.
>>>
>>> Also the IP4000 can print full duplex. This is very handy for
>>> business documents and printing stuff off of the Internet. The
>>> printer, in addition to the 3 dye colors and the dye black, the
>>> printer has a pigmented black use primarily for business documents.
>>>
>>> While expensive to replace, the Canon has a user installable
>>> printhead. The IP4000 is much faster than the R300, print
>>> substantially better in business document mode, and marginally better
>>> in photo mode producing more striking and vibrant photo colors.
>>>
>>> The North American version of this printer does not print directly on
>>> CDs but the European model does. If this is a must then you must
>>> compromise and get the R300. The design of the CD tray on the R300
>>> is defective and is causing many users a host of problems with faulty
>>> feeds.
>>>
>>> The R300 is an ink guzzler draining your expensive ink supply each
>>> time you turn it on and when you print. The Canon inks at Costco are
>>> less expensive than Epson, about $9.00.
>>>
>>> I recommend that you use OEM inks unless your print load is very
>>> high. In that case you should look into and take the risk by using
>>> 3rd party carts. I have read much of the instructions on refilling
>>> and it appears to be a messy pain in the ass.
>>>

>> (snip)
>>
>> Will - you may have noticed that Measekite has a running dialogue
>> (diatribe?) with several of us on this NG who do refilling of
>> cartridges although he, admittedly, doesn't do refilling or use
>> aftermarket cartridges himself. Cost is about $1 per refill. Works
>> fine and is easy to do once you figure out the little tricks. If you
>> wish to refill Canon cartridges you can read the basic technique on
>> Slade's site and get some more info on the Nifty stuff site I
>> mentioned. Most of the online ink vendors also have instructions.
>> Again, I'm not trying to sell you on this idea,
>>

> Oh but he and his friends are.

As if it's any of your business! Your not in charge of this ng. Your
lying opinions carry no weight in this ng. You have not earned the
respect of anyone here and you continue to post nothing but vile, trash
talk, bullshit. You insult everyone that you disagree with and that's
99% of all posters. Everyone here must be getting the idea that you're
some kind of ng nut stalker or else this ng is actually the only life
you have. You seem like a lunatic and everyone tells you that but you
don't get it. You exhibit the worst kind of social skills(none)that one
could possible have in human society.

I know for a fact if you talked to people face to face as you do in this
ng your face would be very battle scarred. Which btw, leads one to
conclude that you harbor some very real anxieties and insecurities that
you have act out in this ng where you can feel secure in doing so.
How pathetic it that.
Frank

Douglas

ZDnet ranks the Canon ip4000 at 7.7 and the Epson R300 at 7.6.The R800 is
8.0.I see nothing about the ip4000 being the best printer under $350,the
R800 is below $350 and is ranked higher!The ip4000 is a good printer,just
not the best!
"Frank" <fb@nospam.com> wrote in message
> measekite wrote:
>

>> Burt wrote:
>>
>>> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> (snip)
>>>
>>> Will - you may have noticed that Measekite has a running dialogue
>>> (diatribe?) with several of us on this NG who do refilling of cartridges
>>> although he, admittedly, doesn't do refilling or use aftermarket
>>> cartridges himself. Cost is about $1 per refill. Works fine and is
>>> easy to do once you figure out the little tricks. If you wish to refill
>>> Canon cartridges you can read the basic technique on Slade's site and
>>> get some more info on the Nifty stuff site I mentioned. Most of the
>>> online ink vendors also have instructions. Again, I'm not trying to
>>> sell you on this idea,
>>>

>> Oh but he and his friends are.
>>

> As if it's any of your business! Your not in charge of this ng. Your lying
> opinions carry no weight in this ng. You have not earned the respect of
> anyone here and you continue to post nothing but vile, trash talk,
> bullshit. You insult everyone that you disagree with and that's 99% of all
> posters. Everyone here must be getting the idea that you're some kind of
> ng nut stalker or else this ng is actually the only life you have. You
> seem like a lunatic and everyone tells you that but you don't get it. You
> exhibit the worst kind of social skills(none)that one could possible have
> in human society.
>
> I know for a fact if you talked to people face to face as you do in this
> ng your face would be very battle scarred. Which btw, leads one to
> conclude that you harbor some very real anxieties and insecurities that
> you have act out in this ng where you can feel secure in doing so.
> How pathetic it that.
> Frank

birdman

I have both Canon and Epson printers, both ink based.
If you are planning to use color management with a system that profiles only
the monitor then Epson printers will much more readily yield prints that
more closely match the monitor color. There are several reasons for this:
Epson has more paper surfaces and provides much better canned profile
matches for their papers in their printer drivers. It is my opinon that
Epson's drivers are far more sophisticated than Canon's drivers for use in
an Adobe style color managed system. Of course you must use Epson inks to
achieve consistency.
Outside of a few high end after market inks if you do not plan to use OEM
ink cartridges save yourself time and aggravation and have your prints made
at Walmart.
Realize that mid level Canon Pixma printers are identical to the previous
generation of i9xx canon printers: they use the same inks (read the
cartridge box labels).
If you are going to profile printer/paper combinations then Canon printers
can achieve results far superior than what you can get with Canon's canned
profiles for their piddling few paper surfaces. It takes alot of work to get
there.
As you can see I would always opt for Epson printers, given the choice. It
is not that the printers are technically better but Epson software, out of
the box, is incomparably superior to Canon's.
Off topic rant: Canon makes great products but rushes them to market and
frequently the next generation product is nothing more than a repackaged
previous generation product. Canon also has serious software problems across
its entire product line: witness the software upgrade for the D20 within
weeks of its release.

BURT

> Burt wrote:
>
>>There is a series of posts on this NG about the ideal printer. Worth
>>reading before you chose. It really depends on what you want to do with
>>it. A few sites you can go on - Steve's digicam (google this as I don't
>>have the link handy) site reviews printers.
>>www.neilslade.com/papers/inkjetstuff primarily about Canon printers,
>>compatable papers, and third party inks if you should wish to use them (I
>>do with my Canon I960).
>

> And
>
> http://www.pcmag.com
>
>>www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/ for lots of interesting information if you are
>>interested in aftermarket inks, primarily for Canon photo printers. I am
>>not trying to sell you on using aftermarket inks.
>

> Oh yes he is. That is all he and a few others profess around here. Then
> you can be just like them and tinker instead of enjoying photography and
> producing business documents.
>
>>I can only tell you that I have used them successfully, but you have to be
>>selective in the ones you decide to use.
>

> Very Very selective. And only if your print load requires it. Saving
> $100 in a year is not all that much. I spend more than that on lattes at
> Starbucks.
>
>>Newer Epson printers (I also use an older one with dye based inks) have
>>pigment based inks which produce a more long lasting image.
>>
> Where the ink is very costly and pigmented inks have a greater propensity
> to clog.
>

>> Whichever one you decide to buy, it is necessary to use it frequently and
>> not let it sit idle for a prolonged period of time as you will risk
>> getting head clogs, either with OEM or aftermarket inks.
>

> I print photos a few times a week. I have not had a headclog since I have
> owned the printer. I also have an HP that I use for business document
> since my model has a draft mode that rivals letter quality and does full
> duplex. If you are not going to use the printer frequently and you are
> worried about printhead clogs then the HP has a new printhead built in
> with each cartridge. But is does cost more. If you consider the HP go
> with the model (8000 series) that allows you to have 3 carts installed at
> once so you do not have to play musical carts.
>
>>If you decide to buy Canon, Slade's site has great information on
>>maintenance and fixing clogged heads.
>

> I am not knocking Neil Slade but this entire group are so pre-occupied
> with clogged heads because they are advocators for aftermarket inks, the
> majority of which are high risk.

(snip)

Will - Measekite mistakes our posts about head clogs as an admission that,
as users of third party inks, we are experiencing problems with our
printers. The reality is that HE continually tells people that third party
inks are a problem and we simply reply to let people like you know that we
who have had experience with some excellent third party inks and don't want
him to scare you off! He takes EVERY opportunity to criticize all the ink
vendors and their products. I am only following behind his posts to remind
you and others that you came to this NG with questions you wanted answered
by people who can relate their own experiences. The ONLY head clogs I have
had were with original manufacturers inks. I have had none with aftermarket
inks as yet. All inkjet printers can end up with a head clog, regardless of
OEM or aftermarket ink use. Why do you think that all the printers have a
head cleaning utility and do cleanings on startup and at printer-controlled
intervals? Just look through the posts and see the (lack of) quality of
Measekite's responses and judge for yourself. I would add that his
description of his printer is certainly accurate and the comparative
information he has gleaned from magazine reviews is also available to you
to read for yourself.

Burt wrote:

> [...]
>>with the model (8000 series) that allows you to have 3 carts installed at
>>once so you do not have to play musical carts.
>>

>>>If you decide to buy Canon, Slade's site has great information on
>>>maintenance and fixing clogged heads.
>>>

>>I am not knocking Neil Slade but this entire group are so pre-occupied
>>with clogged heads because they are advocators for aftermarket inks, the
>>majority of which are high risk.
>>

>(snip)
>
>Will - Measekite mistakes our posts about head clogs as an admission that,
>as users of third party inks, we are experiencing problems with our
>printers. The reality is that HE continually tells people that third party
>inks are a problem and we simply reply to let people like you know that we
>who have had experience with some excellent third party inks and don't want

Consumer Reports also had a past article of the perils of aftermarket inks.

>He takes EVERY opportunity to criticize all the ink
>vendors and their products. I am only following behind his posts to remind
>you and others that you came to this NG with questions you wanted answered
>by people who can relate their own experiences. The ONLY head clogs I have
>had were with original manufacturers inks.

Thats you. However look at Art, an author of a manual of how to clear
headclogs. Why is this so necessary to so many people, the majority of
who use aftermarket inks. The NG is almost the AfterMarketInk Club.

>I have had none with aftermarket
>inks as yet. All inkjet printers can end up with a head clog, regardless of
>OEM or aftermarket ink use. Why do you think that all the printers have a
>head cleaning utility and do cleanings on startup and at printer-controlled
>intervals? Just look through the posts and see the (lack of) quality of
>Measekite's responses and judge for yourself.

That is the opinion of the few members of the Burt Club.

>I would add that his
>description of his printer is certainly accurate and the comparative
>information he has gleaned from magazine reviews is also available to you
>to read for yourself.

BURT

">>(snip)

>>Will - Measekite mistakes our posts about head clogs as an admission that,
>>as users of third party inks, we are experiencing problems with our
>>printers. The reality is that HE continually tells people that third
>>party inks are a problem and we simply reply to let people like you know
>>that we who have had experience with some excellent third party inks and
>>don't want him to scare you off!
>

> Consumer Reports also had a past article of the perils of aftermarket
> inks.
>
>>He takes EVERY opportunity to criticize all the ink vendors and their
>>products. I am only following behind his posts to remind you and others
>>that you came to this NG with questions you wanted answered by people who
>>can relate their own experiences. The ONLY head clogs I have had were
>>with original manufacturers inks.
>
> Thats you. However look at Art, an author of a manual of how to clear
> headclogs. Why is this so necessary to so many people, the majority of
> who use aftermarket inks. The NG is almost the AfterMarketInk Club.

(snip)

1) all inkjet printers have the potential to have head clogs with OEM or
aftermarket inks. Since each HP cartridge comes with a new printhead, its
printheads have less numbers of months or prints and therefore less time
subject to ink drying in or under the print head. You do pay a price for
that with more expensive carts.

2) Tony, an experienced printer repair person (whom Measekite dissed )
posted some statistics on this NG that indicates that OEM and aftermarket
ink related head clogs were about equal in the approximately 500 printers
brought to him last year for repairs. As I said in a previous post - be
prepared regardless of the ink that you use in case you get a head clog.
Few head clogs are fatal and most can be cleared with proper cleaning
techniques. You know that a good set of tires can carry you safely for
thousands of miles, but don't go anywhere without a jack, lug wrench, and
spare!

3) This newsgroup is about helping people with printer questions. Printers
use ink. Therefore inks are part of this NG. Measekite has continued to
raise this issue himself and I merely respond with my own experience to
counter his extremely negative approach.

4) Yes, Consumers did have negative comments about third party inks as did
one of the PC mags. (Wilhelm also tested some aftermarket inks and found
they weren't as good as OEM inks. None of the inks Wilhelm tested are the
ones that I've seen recommended by satisfied users.) I have had a
subscription to Consumers for as long as I can remember - 25 or 30 years? -
and have lots of respect for that magazine. That said, however, I wouldn't
take their advice for all purchases as there are better tech journals and
forums for some items. Yes, I am sure there is junk ink out there, but I
can vouch for some excellent ink also.

5) Measekite paints the entire third party ink market with the same broad
negative brush. You will see his posts and judge for yourself. I honestly
hate to keep repeating this information but I hate it more that Measekite
uses invective, foul language, and partial truths to scare people about
these products. I don't care if you use OEM inks or aftermarket inks. You
just need to know that there are people who have used them successfully as
opposed to Measekite who doesn't use them but rants as if he is the ultimate
fount of knowledge in this area.

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Burt wrote:
>>
>>> "measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>> (snip)
>>>
>>> Will - you may have noticed that Measekite has a running dialogue
>>> (diatribe?) with several of us on this NG who do refilling of
>>> cartridges although he, admittedly, doesn't do refilling or use
>>> aftermarket cartridges himself. Cost is about $1 per refill. Works
>>> fine and is easy to do once you figure out the little tricks. If
>>> you wish to refill Canon cartridges you can read the basic technique
>>> on Slade's site and get some more info on the Nifty stuff site I
>>> mentioned. Most of the online ink vendors also have instructions.
>>> Again, I'm not trying to sell you on this idea,
>>>

>> Oh but he and his friends are.
>>

> As if it's any of your business! Your not in charge of this ng. Your
> lying opinions carry no weight in this ng.

If you are an example then I am glad. Did you take your Viagra tonite.

> You have not earned the respect of anyone here and you continue to
> post nothing but vile, trash talk, bullshit.

That is your dinner.

> You insult everyone

You are not everyone. You are not a person. You are a right cheek. OK
Frankie Crankie

> that you disagree with and that's 99% of all posters.

U Can't Count or is it Count Can't

> Everyone here must be getting the idea that you're some kind of ng nut
> stalker or else this ng is actually the only life you have. You seem
> like a lunatic and everyone tells you that but you don't get it. You
> exhibit the worst kind of social skills(none)that one could possible
> have in human society.

I am glad I got you so pissed off.

> I know for a fact if you talked to people face to face as you do in
> this ng your face would be very battle scarred. Which btw, leads one
> to conclude that you harbor some very real anxieties and insecurities
> that you have act out in this ng where you can feel secure in doing so.
> How pathetic it that.
> Frank

Kiss me baby :-*

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

measekite wrote:

> Frank wrote:
>
>> measekite wrote:

>>> Oh but he and his friends are.
>>>

>> As if it's any of your business! Your not in charge of this ng. Your
>> lying opinions carry no weight in this ng.
>

> If you are an example then I am glad. Did you take your Viagra tonite.
>
>> You have not earned the respect of anyone here and you continue to
>> post nothing but vile, trash talk, bullshit.
>

> That is your dinner.
>
>> You insult everyone
>

> You are not everyone. You are not a person. You are a right cheek. OK
> Frankie Crankie
>
>> that you disagree with and that's 99% of all posters.
>

> U Can't Count or is it Count Can't
>
>> Everyone here must be getting the idea that you're some kind of ng nut
>> stalker or else this ng is actually the only life you have. You seem
>> like a lunatic and everyone tells you that but you don't get it. You
>> exhibit the worst kind of social skills(none)that one could possible
>> have in human society.
>

> I am glad I got you so pissed off.
>

>> I know for a fact if you talked to people face to face as you do in
>> this ng your face would be very battle scarred. Which btw, leads one
>> to conclude that you harbor some very real anxieties and insecurities
>> that you have act out in this ng where you can feel secure in doing so.
>> How pathetic it that.
>> Frank
>

> Kiss me baby :-*

Yeah, you actually are that pathetic. And you're even dumb enough to
think you pissed me off. You don't posses near enough gray matter to
even get me mildly upset. In fact, I share your postings with my
associates and we always laugh and crack up at your stupidly childish,
usually incoherent responses that I and everyone else elicit from you.
You're the ng yo yo on a string. :-D
Frank

Douglas wrote:

>ZDnet ranks the Canon ip4000 at 7.7 and the Epson R300 at 7.6.The R800 is
>8.0.I see nothing about the ip4000 being the best printer under $350,the
>R800 is below $350 and is ranked higher!The ip4000 is a good printer,just
>not the best!

I think the best std carriage printer is probably the IP8500 and the
best wide format is the i9900. I am speaking about consumer printers.
PC MAG and others rate the i9900 as the best consumer printer. Do a
search for printer reviews on PC Mag and read all of the reviews.

The R800 does a very poor job on business documents. It does not have
twin paper feed nor can it print duplex. It is a pure photo printer.
On that note the i9900 and IP8500 are also pure photo printers but do a
better job on business documents than the R800.

Burt wrote:

>">>(snip)
>

>>>Will - Measekite mistakes our posts about head clogs as an admission that,
>>>as users of third party inks, we are experiencing problems with our
>>>printers. The reality is that HE continually tells people that third
>>>party inks are a problem and we simply reply to let people like you know
>>>that we who have had experience with some excellent third party inks and
>>>don't want him to scare you off!
>>>

>>Consumer Reports also had a past article of the perils of aftermarket
>>inks.
>>

>>>He takes EVERY opportunity to criticize all the ink vendors and their
>>>products. I am only following behind his posts to remind you and others
>>>that you came to this NG with questions you wanted answered by people who
>>>can relate their own experiences. The ONLY head clogs I have had were
>>>with original manufacturers inks.
>>>

>>Thats you. However look at Art, an author of a manual of how to clear
>>headclogs. Why is this so necessary to so many people, the majority of
>>who use aftermarket inks. The NG is almost the AfterMarketInk Club.
>>

>(snip)
>
>1) all inkjet printers have the potential to have head clogs with OEM or
>aftermarket inks. Since each HP cartridge comes with a new printhead, its
>printheads have less numbers of months or prints and therefore less time
>subject to ink drying in or under the print head. You do pay a price for
>that with more expensive carts.

I believe I said the cost is more.

>2) Tony, an experienced printer repair person (whom Measekite dissed )

You mean Tony da Tiger aka repair hawker who stats cannot be trusted.
He sells after market ink and does repair so one must discount what he says.

>posted some statistics on this NG that indicates that OEM and aftermarket
>ink related head clogs were about equal in the approximately 500 printers
>brought to him last year for repairs. As I said in a previous post - be
>prepared regardless of the ink that you use in case you get a head clog.
>Few head clogs are fatal and most can be cleared with proper cleaning
>techniques. You know that a good set of tires can carry you safely for
>thousands of miles, but don't go anywhere without a jack, lug wrench, and
>spare!

Like the Firstone on the Explorer

>3) This newsgroup is about helping people with printer questions. Printers
>use ink.

Get outta here, I thought they ran on gasoline.

>Therefore inks are part of this NG. Measekite has continued to
>raise this issue himself and I merely respond with my own experience to
>counter his extremely negative approach.
>
>4) Yes, Consumers did have negative comments about third party inks as did
>one of the PC mags. (Wilhelm also tested some aftermarket inks and found
>they weren't as good as OEM inks. None of the inks Wilhelm tested are the
>ones that I've seen recommended by satisfied users.) I have had a
>subscription to Consumers for as long as I can remember - 25 or 30 years? -
>and have lots of respect for that magazine. That said, however, I wouldn't
>take their advice for all purchases as there are better tech journals and
>forums for some items. Yes, I am sure there is junk ink out there, but I
>can vouch for some excellent ink also.

Mostly junk and the vendors are hawkers who will not say in writing why
real BRAND they are selling you. All they care about is buy buy buy.

>5) Measekite paints the entire third party ink market with the same broad
>negative brush.

More than 80%

>You will see his posts and judge for yourself. I honestly
>hate to keep repeating this information but I hate it more that Measekite
>uses invective, foul language, and partial truths to scare people about
>these products.

Boooooo Hooooooo

>I don't care if you use OEM inks or aftermarket inks. You
>just need to know that there are

a few

>people who have used them successfully as
>opposed to Measekite who doesn't use them but rants as if he is the ultimate
>fount of knowledge in this area.

Douglas

Just WHO do think publishes PC Magazine? Ziff Davis! as in ZDnet! WE are
talking about PHOTO PRINTERS! Read the post! The subject says Photo
Printer!Although the ZDnet ratings were all inclusive.Have you owned a i9900
or an ip8500? Have you ever used either?I have owned the i9900 and sold and
used several ip8500s.I also own the R800.You read into the reviews just what
you want,not the whole story!I can SHOW you parts of the Computer Shopper
ip4000 review that states feathering in text and banding on photos.They
finish by saying,"if you demand top quality photos,look at the Epson R800".
They are also owned by ZD.

Frank wrote:

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Frank wrote:

>>> As if it's any of your business! Your not in charge of this ng. Your
>>> lying opinions carry no weight in this ng.
>>

>> If you are an example then I am glad. Did you take your Viagra tonite.
>>
>>> You have not earned the respect of anyone here and you continue to
>>> post nothing but vile, trash talk, bullshit.
>>

>> That is your dinner.
>>
>>> You insult everyone
>>

>> You are not everyone. You are not a person. You are a right cheek.
>> OK Frankie Crankie
>>
>>> that you disagree with and that's 99% of all posters.
>>

>> U Can't Count or is it Count Can't
>>
>>> Everyone here must be getting the idea that you're some kind of ng
>>> nut stalker or else this ng is actually the only life you have. You
>>> seem like a lunatic and everyone tells you that but you don't get
>>> it. You exhibit the worst kind of social skills(none)that one could
>>> possible have in human society.
>>

>> I am glad I got you so pissed off.
>>

>>> I know for a fact if you talked to people face to face as you do in
>>> this ng your face would be very battle scarred. Which btw, leads one
>>> to conclude that you harbor some very real anxieties and
>>> insecurities that you have act out in this ng where you can feel
>>> secure in doing so.
>>> How pathetic it that.
>>> Frank
>>

>> Kiss me baby :-*
>

> Yeah, you actually are that pathetic. And you're even dumb enough to
> think you pissed me off. You don't posses near enough gray matter to
> even get me mildly upset.

:-(

> In fact, I share your postings with my associates and we always laugh
> and crack up at your stupidly childish, usually incoherent responses
> that I and everyone else elicit from you.
> You're the ng yo yo on a string. :-D
> Frank

Luv :-D

Do you have some specific models in mind?

What kind of items will you be printing, how large?

How long do they need to last?

Will you use OEM or 3rd party inks?

How important is cost per print?

Do you need CD printing?

What types of paper do you plan to use?

Will you be selling your work?

How many prints a week/month/year whatever do you plan to make?

Art

Will in SF wrote:

> Hi, all. I have narrowed my choice of best photo printers to Epson or
> Canon. I am having trouble selecting due to some posts in this group,
> such as, Epson printers have printer ink problems, Canon's prints are
> as good as Epson. Can anyone who has a Canon or Epson printer reply
> with their pros and cons so I can make a decision please. I am looking
> in the 200.00 or less range.
>
> Thanks all.

This posting is the most reasonable, balanced and mature posting I have
seen coming from you in a long time, and it seems to me to fairly
present the product you're using. I think you have served the person
making the query well by this.

These days, with the print quality so improved overall with most of the
manufacturers, it is somewhat a subjective point of view, so I'd suggest
this person try to get some print samples and see with his own eyes the
differences, so he can determine what pallet he finds most appealing.
We all have differing tastes in colors, and we perceive color
differently. Also, depending on what type of subject matter he tends to
print, he may find one pallet or another more useful or pleasing for him.

Since I do not own an R300, I won't attempt to contradicts the issue of
ink usage or cost per print. I suspect the differences in ink cost per
unit don't vary drastically between the models, but a four color model
will probably cost less to provide ink for than a six color.

If the person asking about this matter were to look back over the last
few days, there are several postings mixed in about some Epson versus
Canon discussion.

Art

Arthur Entlich wrote:

> This posting is the most reasonable, balanced and mature posting I
> have seen coming from you in a long time, and it seems to me to fairly
> present the product you're using. I think you have served the person
> making the query well by this.
>
> These days, with the print quality so improved overall with most of
> the manufacturers, it is somewhat a subjective point of view, so I'd
> suggest this person try to get some print samples and see with his own
> eyes the differences, so he can determine what pallet he finds most
> appealing.

While I agree that it should be done that way it is mostly impossible.
Most of the demos are set up to print certain professional pictures with
certain professional done profiles and the printers are not connected to
a computer.

That said this is what I think would be a fair comparison. Phtoshop has
a professional done test picture. I would copy it on to a CD and find a
store that have all of the printers connected to a computer. Take your
own paper or buy a small pack of Epson and Canon Pro paper or use
Costco/Kirkland for both. Print a couple of photos on the CD from each
printer and then compare them. With Canon, print one with the effects
menu neutral and the other with it on.

Judge the results for yourself.

> We all have differing tastes in colors, and we perceive color
> differently. Also, depending on what type of subject matter he tends
> to print, he may find one pallet or another more useful or pleasing
> for him.
>
> Since I do not own an R300, I won't attempt to contradicts the issue
> of ink usage or cost per print. I suspect the differences in ink cost
> per unit don't vary drastically between the models, but a four color
> model will probably cost less to provide ink for than a six color.

PC WORLD Mag in one of the past 4 issues did an entire cost analysis of
cost per print including ink and paper. It is worth reading.

> If the person asking about this matter were to look back over the last
> few days, there are several postings mixed in about some Epson versus
> Canon discussion.
>
> Art
>

> measekite wrote:
>

>> Will in SF wrote:
>>
>>> Hi, all. I have narrowed my choice of best photo printers to Epson or
>>> Canon. I am having trouble selecting due to some posts in this group,
>>> such as, Epson printers have printer ink problems, Canon's prints are
>>> as good as Epson. Can anyone who has a Canon or Epson printer reply
>>> with their pros and cons so I can make a decision please. I am looking
>>> in the 200.00 or less range.
>>> Thanks all.
>>>

>> I have a Canon IP4000. This was rated by PC Mag as the best value
>> and the best Canon Printer other than the $350 model. It has a dual
>> paper feed. I use the cassette for business documents and the top
>> autosheet feeder for photos. The Epson competitive model is the
>> R300. It does not have dual paper feed.
>>
>> Also the IP4000 can print full duplex. This is very handy for
>> business documents and printing stuff off of the Internet. The
>> printer, in addition to the 3 dye colors and the dye black, the
>> printer has a pigmented black use primarily for business documents.
>>
>> While expensive to replace, the Canon has a user installable
>> printhead. The IP4000 is much faster than the R300, print
>> substantially better in business document mode, and marginally better
>> in photo mode producing more striking and vibrant photo colors.
>>
>> The North American version of this printer does not print directly on
>> CDs but the European model does. If this is a must then you must
>> compromise and get the R300. The design of the CD tray on the R300
>> is defective and is causing many users a host of problems with faulty
>> feeds.
>>
>> The R300 is an ink guzzler draining your expensive ink supply each
>> time you turn it on and when you print. The Canon inks at Costco are
>> less expensive than Epson, about $9.00.
>>
>> I recommend that you use OEM inks unless your print load is very
>> high. In that case you should look into and take the risk by using
>> 3rd party carts. I have read much of the instructions on refilling
>> and it appears to be a messy pain in the ass.
>>
>> There are about a half dozen regular tinkerers on this NG who will
>> tell you different. Go to the store and see for your self.
>>
>> Before I bought my printer I went to Frys on the weekend and spoke
>> with both the Canon Factory Rep and the Epson Rep. Except for the
>> subjective evaluations, the two were in basic agreement with why I
>> said in this Post. Good Luck

Since my name was mentioned I thought I should chime in about this.

Epson printers use a different technology than Canon or HP printers do
to propel the ink. It tends to be a more precise method but more
importantly, it can handle move varied inks, because it is a mechanical
means rather than use of heating and resistance. Besides Epson's own
OEM inks that vary from dye to several pigment sets, there are probably
over one hundred inks formulations made that claim they can be used
safely in Epson printers.

One of the reasons Epson can offer more types of paper surfaces and type
is because the method of ink propelling is mechanical. The ink is not
heated or otherwise changed during the printing process. However, the
same feature that allows the ink head to work so universally with
differing inks is also another consideration.

The micro-piezo head requires gravity to work, so the heads have to be
aimed downward. The head nozzles are passive so some excess ink is left
under the heads and this tends, over time to dry and can lead to head
clogging or some other print quality issues. As a result, Epson heads
need a bit of preventative maintenance to avoid ink clogs that can be
time consuming to resolve at times. The manual referred to is a
preventive maintenance as well as a emergency unclogging instruction
manual. If people take precautions every 6-12 months. they can avoid
getting into a bind with clogged heads. In general dye colorant inks
are less problematic than pigment inks. Epson's pigment inks in the
Ultra chrome family are being reformulated for several newer printers
(R800, R1800) to limit the clogging problem.

However, the Durabrite inks (also pigment OEM Epson) and some other 3rd
party inks might be more prone to clog the heads. I have seen and
experienced clogs with both Epson's own inks (dye or pigment) and 3rd
party inks.

Well formulated inks from long time reputable dealers, either if they
make the ink themselves, or repackage a product usually have their
reputations on the line and will provide you with ink from known
manufacturers. If you do decide to go with 3rd party inks, ask around
from people who have used them, they will know which worked easily and
which did not. Several Epson groups are around that have members who
regularly used 3rd party inks.

By the way, most clogs can be cleared with a simple head cleaning done
by the printer, but if you buy an Epson and you ever need instructions
to unclogging it, my manual (free) tells you how and using simple
household items you can do it yourself.

Other inkjet printers also clog, but HP has you replace the head each
cartridge change, and Canon uses only dye inks which don't clog as
easily. Canon printers do sometimes clog also.

Art

Douglas wrote:

>Just WHO do think publishes PC Magazine? Ziff Davis! as in ZDnet! WE are
>talking about PHOTO PRINTERS! Read the post! The subject says Photo
>Printer!Although the ZDnet ratings were all inclusive.Have you owned a i9900
>or an ip8500? Have you ever used either?I have owned the i9900 and sold and
>used several ip8500s.I also own the R800.You read into the reviews just what
>you want,not the whole story!I can SHOW you parts of the Computer Shopper
>ip4000 review that states feathering in text and banding on photos.They
>finish by saying,"if you demand top quality photos,look at the Epson R800".
>They are also owned by ZD.

These are the opinions of the reviewers. They will vary.

>>Douglas wrote:
>>

>>>ZDnet ranks the Canon ip4000 at 7.7 and the Epson R300 at 7.6.The R800 is
>>>8.0.I see nothing about the ip4000 being the best printer under $350,the
>>>R800 is below $350 and is ranked higher!The ip4000 is a good printer,just
>>>not the best!
>>>

>>I think the best std carriage printer is probably the IP8500 and the best
>>wide format is the i9900. I am speaking about consumer printers. PC MAG
>>and others rate the i9900 as the best consumer printer. Do a search for
>>printer reviews on PC Mag and read all of the reviews.
>>
>>The R800 does a very poor job on business documents. It does not have
>>twin paper feed nor can it print duplex. It is a pure photo printer. On
>>that note the i9900 and IP8500 are also pure photo printers but do a
>>better job on business documents than the R800.
>>

>>>"Frank" <fb@nospam.com> wrote in message

Douglas

measekite wrote

These are the opinions of the reviewers. They will vary.

Gee,am I WRONG? Was it NOT you that said PC Magazine said the ip4000 was
best?Just like that is a fact! Are those not just words of another reviewer?
This supports my saying actual use is the only thing to go by.You read a
couple of reviews,and pick out a few positive remarks that do not tell the
WHOLE story!As I said,I HAVE USED the printers I am speaking of!Have you
used the R300,R800,ip8500 or the i9900?I have used all of these and maybe
100 more models.I have used everything from the HP 500 on,all price ranges
from $29 to $25,000.

> Douglas wrote:
>
>>Just WHO do think publishes PC Magazine? Ziff Davis! as in ZDnet! WE are
>>talking about PHOTO PRINTERS! Read the post! The subject says Photo
>>Printer!Although the ZDnet ratings were all inclusive.Have you owned a
>>i9900 or an ip8500? Have you ever used either?I have owned the i9900 and
>>sold and used several ip8500s.I also own the R800.You read into the
>>reviews just what you want,not the whole story!I can SHOW you parts of the
>>Computer Shopper ip4000 review that states feathering in text and banding
>>on photos.They finish by saying,"if you demand top quality photos,look at
>>the Epson R800".
>>They are also owned by ZD.
>>

> These are the opinions of the reviewers. They will vary.
>>"measekite" <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>>>I think the best std carriage printer is probably the IP8500 and the best
>>>wide format is the i9900. I am speaking about consumer printers. PC MAG
>>>and others rate the i9900 as the best consumer printer. Do a search for
>>>printer reviews on PC Mag and read all of the reviews.
>>>
>>>The R800 does a very poor job on business documents. It does not have
>>>twin paper feed nor can it print duplex. It is a pure photo printer. On
>>>that note the i9900 and IP8500 are also pure photo printers but do a
>>>better job on business documents than the R800.

"Will in SF" <willinsf@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Hi, all. I have narrowed my choice of best photo printers to Epson or
> Canon. I am having trouble selecting due to some posts in this group,
> such as, Epson printers have printer ink problems, Canon's prints are
> as good as Epson. Can anyone who has a Canon or Epson printer reply
> with their pros and cons so I can make a decision please. I am looking
> in the 200.00 or less range.
>
> Thanks all.

Epson. More papers, less fading. I can't even see where there's a choice.

TRENDING THREADS