pc to tv resolution ,/ setup queston

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Ok, tried to search but couldnt find to much yet i am sure it has been discussed,
well hrer goes, i want to try to play some games on the tv to see how it works. (tv is a 27" samsung hdtv but not hdmi input) , right now i use a 20" dell and play games a 1600*1200 so with a bigger screen i would like to keep it at least the same, I hear that using s-video to s-video cable you can only get a max of 800*600 is that true, there is aso a s-video to 3 pin vga ? will that be any different?
I also read that dvi to component would give the best resolution and the only thing i can find is a dvi to 3 pin vga. (for $35) I thought component had like a 5 pin vga setup?
Any help?

Thanks!

dvs1

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2006
Even with the standard Audio Video cables (The red, yellow and white ones..LOL) I use to display 1024x768 on a crappy 19" tv from my old Asus 9600SE. It should allow you to make the correct changes under your video cards control panel.

One thing I noticed was that text wasn't very clear on smaller fonts, but it seemed that the colors in games, for instance Call Of Duty 2, were more vibrant and nice. :wink:

zyberwoof

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
Even with the standard Audio Video cables (The red, yellow and white ones..LOL) I use to display 1024x768 on a crappy 19" tv from my old Asus 9600SE. It should allow you to make the correct changes under your video cards control panel.

I don't believe a coaxial cable (the yellow video cable used in the red, white, yellow cabling) can display 1024x768. The image was probably a 1024x768 resolution scaled down to ~640x480. That is one reason that the text was not easy to read.

Your "crappy 19" tv" has probably nowhere near the pixel count of 1024x768 since the standard TV resolution is somewhere around 480i. Since your TV does not have enough pixels to display 1024x768, then somewhere along the way the image MUST be being scaled down.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
So component does have more then 3 video cables? I could not seem to find a dvi to component adapter.So i also wonder is there a s-cideo to component and would there be a difference

sticky : there is no direct component out from m video card so i need an adaptor.

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Component video has 3 cables, unless you have an HDTV or EDTV you won't get over 525 lines of resolution regardless of what you set your video card to. I've got a 32" JVC that's only 480 lines. Just because you can set 1024x768 doesn't mean the tv has that many pixels. Order of quality, coax, rca (yellow), svid, comp, hdmi/dvi.

If you set a higher resolution you WILL get a better picture because there is more detail in the original image (though it is interpolated down), but it won't be like going from 800x600 to 1024x768 on a computer monitor.

Here's a good link:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/vidres.htm

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
thanks for the link, well i do have a 27" hdtv 1080i.
The video card is a evga 7900gtx 2dvi and a svideo like?, and i just (5 minutes ago) found out that the connector on the card is not an svideo for the longest time (since the x800 series) i thought it was a an svideo but just found out it has more pins, and just by dumb luck i hooked up that connector to svideo the right way (it was a 50/50 chance but still if i hooked it up wrong i would of figured it out). well i figured this out kind of late i just purchased a dvi to component cable from ebay.

icbluscrn

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
it did and when i hooked it up it was max 1024*768 is that the limit or is it my tv. I am sure my tv can do 1080i ill huess ill try to look up specs

michaelahess

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Svid and rca has that limit on all cards I've seen, if it had a dongle for comp out, red/green/blue, that will allow full res output. DVD output will be limited to 480p due to macrovision

Bruxbox

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
thanks for the link, well i do have a 27" hdtv 1080i.
The video card is a evga 7900gtx 2dvi and a svideo like?, and i just (5 minutes ago) found out that the connector on the card is not an svideo for the longest time (since the x800 series) i thought it was a an svideo but just found out it has more pins, and just by dumb luck i hooked up that connector to svideo the right way (it was a 50/50 chance but still if i hooked it up wrong i would of figured it out). well i figured this out kind of late i just purchased a dvi to component cable from ebay.

Does your Samsung have DVI in? If so, why can't you connect your 7900gtx directly to the Samsung?

Just like any other PC monitor, you set the resolution in your 7900GTX to that required by your Samsung. Nvidia's latest drivers will allow you to go into your display settings and setup your Nvidia card to support your Samsung. That is where you should start.

Next, once you have proper resolution and refresh rate (among many other settings) for the Samsung, you go into each of your PC games' settings and change the games' video resolution to match the monitor's resolution, including changing it from standard screen to wide screen.

I hope I got your issue right.