tendercare

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
My dog peed on my hard disk. (It was outside the case on a stack of books) The pc was off but plugged when it happened.

It wasn't drenched or anything -- though the pee sifted through and the underside of the hard disk was a bit wet.

When I touched the hard disk, I got grounded. I then unplugged the pc and cleaned off the pee. But I'm not sure if it seeped inside.

I'm afraid to turn on my pc.

What should I do?

I'm sorry guys ... I know it sounds really idiotic. But please, give a guy a break...

Pain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004
There is typically a small air hole on the disk that is covered with a filter. that is the only place that amount of, er, liquid could get into the case unless it was totally submerged. I wouldn't worry about it.

And, put the disk in the case why don't you.

tendercare

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
aah many thanks.... :D

I keep the case open for ventilation (gosh, is it hot where I live...)

Freak accident really ... apparently my sister left the "dog-gate" loose when she left for work; ...... ah well ...

G

Just make sure the disk is really dry before you re-plug it. the electronics can still get damaged by shorts caused by the very powerful "electrolyte solution"...

optydave

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
Should be OK to try as soon as the hard drive is totally dry.

But urine can cause corrosion and rust so it may cause something to stick

in place so do not let it set to long before trying its operation and I would

not rely on this drive for too long if you have important info on it. :roll:

phreejak

Distinguished
May 11, 2006
You know, you can test the drive outside of the computer to see if it will turn on properly. Just set the PSU to turn on when you flip it's switch and connect the molex to it Or put it in an external enclosure to test it.

If I were you I'd go pee on the dog....

cranbers

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
First of all that has to be the funniest thing ive ever seen, I laughed out loud on that one.

As for the problem, your drive being wet im sure its fine, just wipe the pee off . Also why in the world id your dog pee on it, I guess he didn't like that brand? Haha