Scripts and GPOs won't run on some computers

Hi,

Our company has a problem with scripts and GPOs that won't run on 20-30
computers (60 computers do not have this problem). All computers run WinXP
SP2.

If you startup an affected computer scripts and GPO do not run, but if you
then login/logout (without restarting) they get GPOs/Scripts.

Anyone have a solution? I've tried the MS-tip when you create the
GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue and increase the value for wait time before
running GPO.

Thanks in advance
24 answers Last reply
More about scripts gpos computers

    In news:LuJYd.19489$d5.147712@newsb.telia.net,
    MED <info@englund-it.se> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Our company has a problem with scripts and GPOs that
    > won't run on 20-30 computers (60 computers do not have
    > this problem). All computers run WinXP SP2.
    >
    > If you startup an affected computer scripts and GPO do
    > not run, but if you then login/logout (without
    > restarting) they get GPOs/Scripts.
    >
    > Anyone have a solution? I've tried the MS-tip when you
    > create the GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue and increase
    > the value for wait time before running GPO.
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Can you verify that you are using only the AD DNS in TCP/IP properties?
    Are you getting any Event 1000 from source USERENV?
    Post the event details, including the error code, if so.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

    "MED" <info@englund-it.se> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Our company has a problem with scripts and GPOs that won't run on 20-30
    > computers (60 computers do not have this problem). All computers run WinXP
    > SP2.
    >
    > If you startup an affected computer scripts and GPO do not run, but if you
    > then login/logout (without restarting) they get GPOs/Scripts.

    Sounds like they are USER Logon scripts,
    instead of Computer Startup scripts.

    > Anyone have a solution? I've tried the MS-tip when you create the
    > GpNetworkStartTimeoutPolicyValue and increase the value for wait time
    before
    > running GPO.

    Add them to the other half of the GPO.

    Only AD TCP/IP is used.

    I've had some Event 1000 before but right now it's sunday and I'm not on the
    office. I'll get back to you as soon as as possible.

    "Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]" <admin@nospam.WFTX.US> skrev i meddelandet
    > In news:LuJYd.19489$d5.147712@newsb.telia.net,
    >
    > Can you verify that you are using only the AD DNS in TCP/IP properties?
    > Are you getting any Event 1000 from source USERENV?
    > Post the event details, including the error code, if so.
    >
    > --
    > Best regards,
    > Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    > Hope This Helps
    > ===================================
    > ===================================
    > http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    > ===================================
    > It will strip signature out and more
    > ===================================
    > with OEBackup:
    > ===================================

    Maybe I've done something wrong when configuring, but I don't think so. I
    have done this too many times to do this wrong...but of course I'll be happy
    for any suggestions. Anyway...I did already set the GP on computers/startup.

    If I put a script in Netlogon (and don't use GP at all) it will run on some
    computers but not the one's having this problem.

    > Maybe I've done something wrong when configuring, but I don't think so. I
    > have done this too many times to do this wrong...but of course I'll be
    happy
    > for any suggestions. Anyway...I did already set the GP on
    computers/startup.

    In your earlier post you indicated very clearly
    that you don't get the scripts to run on startup of
    the computer, but do get them on logon/logoff.

    If the script that runs is running during
    USER logon but intended for the Computer
    startup then it is set in the wrong portion.

    If you mean that "other scripts" (not the
    same scripts you intended for the computer)
    are running then that is a separate issue.
    [Although it might give hints.]

    It may be that your computer is not authenticating
    properly but then it would be (somewhat) odd for
    the user to be able to authenticate.

    Authentication problems usually turn
    out to be DNS problems so I will append
    my DNS guide at the bottom.

    Another possibility, ESPECIALLY if you
    have placed the computer scripts manually,
    is that you didn't place PERMISSIONS for
    the computer accounts (or Everyone READ,
    or Authenticated Users READ).

    Check your NTFS permissions on the actual
    files in SysVol.

    > If I put a script in NetLogon (and don't use GP at all) it will run on
    some
    > computers but not the one's having this problem.

    NetLogon is usually used for user
    "account properties" script and not
    for GPO scripts (technically you may
    be able to put them there but it is
    best to let the GPO editor choose the
    location to avoid errors.)

    This could be the source of the permission
    problem.

    --
    DNS for AD
    1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD

    netdiag /fix

    ....or maybe:

    dcdiag /fix

    (Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
    nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/

    Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    servers for that (internal) zone/domain.

    Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
    output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.

    Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
    [ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

    Again, thank you for your fast reply.

    I don't mean to sound rude but I really dont't think I've done something
    wrong when configuring. I did already put the GPO on computers/startup and
    all permissions are ok. As I said in my initial question "only" 20-30
    computers/users out of aprox 90 are affected and the config are identical on
    every one (exept hardware).

    I've heard something about Gbit-NIC:s having this kind of problem and my
    next action will be to replace one to see if it helps, but this is really
    not a good solution since many affected computers are Laptops so NIC:s will
    have to go in the PC-card-slot of the computer and the docking-station's NIC
    will not be used (users will have to plug in network cable every day). It's
    also an expensive solution.

    So once again I'm grateful for every tip.

    Thank you!

    > "MED" <info@englund-it.se> wrote in message
    >> Maybe I've done something wrong when configuring, but I don't think so. I
    >> have done this too many times to do this wrong...but of course I'll be
    > happy
    >> for any suggestions. Anyway...I did already set the GP on
    > computers/startup.
    >
    > In your earlier post you indicated very clearly
    > that you don't get the scripts to run on startup of
    > the computer, but do get them on logon/logoff.
    >
    > If the script that runs is running during
    > USER logon but intended for the Computer
    > startup then it is set in the wrong portion.
    >
    > If you mean that "other scripts" (not the
    > same scripts you intended for the computer)
    > are running then that is a separate issue.
    > [Although it might give hints.]
    >
    > It may be that your computer is not authenticating
    > properly but then it would be (somewhat) odd for
    > the user to be able to authenticate.
    >
    > Authentication problems usually turn
    > out to be DNS problems so I will append
    > my DNS guide at the bottom.
    >
    > Another possibility, ESPECIALLY if you
    > have placed the computer scripts manually,
    > is that you didn't place PERMISSIONS for
    > the computer accounts (or Everyone READ,
    > or Authenticated Users READ).
    >
    > Check your NTFS permissions on the actual
    > files in SysVol.
    >
    >> If I put a script in NetLogon (and don't use GP at all) it will run on
    > some
    >> computers but not the one's having this problem.
    >
    > NetLogon is usually used for user
    > "account properties" script and not
    > for GPO scripts (technically you may
    > be able to put them there but it is
    > best to let the GPO editor choose the
    > location to avoid errors.)
    >
    > This could be the source of the permission
    > problem.
    >

    > --
    > DNS for AD
    > 1) Dynamic for the zone supporting AD
    > 2) All internal DNS clients NIC\IP properties must specify SOLELY
    > that internal, dynamic DNS server (set.)
    > 3) DCs and even DNS servers are DNS clients too -- see #2
    > 4) If you have more than one Domain, every DNS server must
    > be able to resolve ALL domains (either directly or indirectly)
    >
    > netdiag /fix
    >
    > ...or maybe:
    >
    > dcdiag /fix
    >
    > (Win2003 can do this from Support tools):
    > nltest /dsregdns /server:DC-ServerNameGoesHere
    > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q260371/
    >
    > Ensure that DNS zones/domains are fully replicated to all DNS
    > servers for that (internal) zone/domain.
    >
    > Also useful may be running DCDiag on each DC, sending the
    > output to a text file, and searching for FAIL, ERROR, WARN.
    >
    > Single Label domain zone names are a problem Google:
    > [ "SINGLE LABEL" domain names DNS 2000 | 2003 microsoft: ]

  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > Again, thank you for your fast reply.
    >
    > I don't mean to sound rude but I really dont't think I've done something
    > wrong when configuring. I did already put the GPO on computers/startup and
    > all permissions are ok. As I said in my initial question "only" 20-30
    > computers/users out of aprox 90 are affected and the config are identical
    on
    > every one (exept hardware).

    We are not saying you made a mistake, but you
    asked for help and we have been seeing (and
    making) such mistakes for so long that we almost
    always include the obvoius unless you make it
    absolutely clear that you have covered that base.

    When someone says, "Everything is fine", and
    "But I have this problem" my inclination is to
    ignore the "Everything is fine" part. <grin>

    Many such problems are authentication problems
    and most of those are DNS based.

    Show us the "ipconfig /all" of a working machine
    and a failing machien from the SAME subnet, and
    do it by capturing and pasting the text rather than
    typing it or pasting a picture. (And be sure to specify
    which one is working/not working.)

    > I've heard something about Gbit-NIC:s having this kind of problem and my

    What kind of problem? Nothing you described
    so far sounds like a "NIC" problem of any sort.

    Can you ping? Can you resolve names (both
    NetBIOS and DNS)?

    > next action will be to replace one to see if it helps, but this is really
    > not a good solution

    Mostly because it has such a low probability of helping
    until you identify an actual network problem, much less
    a NIC generated problem.

    > since many affected computers are Laptops so NIC:s will
    > have to go in the PC-card-slot of the computer and the docking-station's
    NIC
    > will not be used (users will have to plug in network cable every day).
    It's
    > also an expensive solution.

    Those too, but it probably won't help unless you
    are being very obscure about describing your
    "network" problem.

    > So once again I'm grateful for every tip.

    Did you check the CLIENT DNS settings?

    How about the DCs? (Maybe some clients
    are resolving the DCs or SOME DCs are
    registered properly...)
  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    It looks like there's been a little confusion with your terminology.

    Startup scripts are different to logon scripts. The script section of the
    user properties is different again (it's there for backward compatibility -
    it's a legacy thing).

    Startup scripts are configured through the computer settings of GPO. They
    only apply to COMPUTER accounts. They run as SYSTEM.

    Logon scripts are configured through the user settings of GPO. They only
    apply to USER accounts. They run in the security context of the USER.

    Now, with that out in the open, I can't tell whether your having issues with
    Logon scripts or Startup scripts? Are you saying that logon scripts only
    process on these machines when you logon, logoff and logon again? Are you
    saying that computer scripts aren't processing?

    This is what Herb was asking? Which is which? The fact that logon scripts
    works may help in troubleshooting, but doesn't really tell us much about the
    startup script problem.

    If startup scripts are the issue, the computer accounts need permissions on
    the GPO (authenticated users includes computer objects).

    Anyway, regardless, can you answer some questions?

    --Are all computers within the scope of this GPO?
    --Are all user accounts within the scope of this GPO?
    --Are there multiple GPOs?
    --Are some machines/ users configured (within scope) of multiple GPOs?
    --Have you run RSoP on the dodgy boxes?

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > This is what Herb was asking? Which is which? The fact that logon
    scripts
    > works may help in troubleshooting, but doesn't really tell us much about
    the
    > startup script problem.
    >
    > If startup scripts are the issue, the computer accounts need permissions
    on
    > the GPO (authenticated users includes computer objects).

    Yes, AND permissions on the script files themselves
    ( I am pretty sure ).

    [I guess is it possible that the DC reads in the script
    and folds it into the GPO stream, but I don't think it
    works that way, i.e., I think it is a separate file acces.]

    > Anyway, regardless, can you answer some questions?
    >
    > --Are all computers within the scope of this GPO?
    > --Are all user accounts within the scope of this GPO?
    > --Are there multiple GPOs?
    > --Are some machines/ users configured (within scope) of multiple GPOs?
    > --Have you run RSoP on the dodgy boxes?

    Yes. Are all machines AUTHENTICATED
    on their domain?
  10. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Wow, many questions back to me. Good!

    > "MED" <info@englund-it.se> wrote in message
    >> Again, thank you for your fast reply.
    >>
    >> I don't mean to sound rude but I really dont't think I've done something
    >> wrong when configuring. I did already put the GPO on computers/startup
    >> and
    >> all permissions are ok. As I said in my initial question "only" 20-30
    >> computers/users out of aprox 90 are affected and the config are identical
    > on
    >> every one (exept hardware).
    >
    > We are not saying you made a mistake, but you
    > asked for help and we have been seeing (and
    > making) such mistakes for so long that we almost
    > always include the obvoius unless you make it
    > absolutely clear that you have covered that base.
    >
    > When someone says, "Everything is fine", and
    > "But I have this problem" my inclination is to
    > ignore the "Everything is fine" part. <grin>

    Yeah, I'm aware of that and I'm grateful that you check every possible
    source of error. Just wanted to make sure I didn't sound ungrateful in any
    way. Ok, enough about this for now ;)

    > Many such problems are authentication problems
    > and most of those are DNS based.
    >
    > Show us the "ipconfig /all" of a working machine
    > and a failing machien from the SAME subnet, and
    > do it by capturing and pasting the text rather than
    > typing it or pasting a picture. (And be sure to specify
    > which one is working/not working.)

    I'm not at the office right now but I can assure you that they are identical
    and that all computers have DC1 as primary DNS and DC2 as secondary DNS. No
    more DC:s on the network. Computers gets config from DHCP.

    >> I've heard something about Gbit-NIC:s having this kind of problem and my
    >
    > What kind of problem? Nothing you described
    > so far sounds like a "NIC" problem of any sort.

    That's why I'm confused. But consider this:
    1. MS confirms this being a problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;840669
    2. Reading this guys question (and some other just like it) leads me towards
    a NIC-problem: http://www.winxptalk.com/ftopic18014.html
    This is why I'm considering a NIC-problem.

    > Can you ping? Can you resolve names (both
    > NetBIOS and DNS)?

    Sure, no problem there.

    >> next action will be to replace one to see if it helps, but this is really
    >> not a good solution
    >
    > Mostly because it has such a low probability of helping
    > until you identify an actual network problem, much less
    > a NIC generated problem.

    Se above.

    >> since many affected computers are Laptops so NIC:s will
    >> have to go in the PC-card-slot of the computer and the docking-station's
    > NIC
    >> will not be used (users will have to plug in network cable every day).
    > It's
    >> also an expensive solution.
    >
    > Those too, but it probably won't help unless you
    > are being very obscure about describing your
    > "network" problem.
    >
    >> So once again I'm grateful for every tip.
    >
    > Did you check the CLIENT DNS settings?

    Yes, it's fine and identical with computers not affected by this problem.

    > How about the DCs? (Maybe some clients
    > are resolving the DCs or SOME DCs are
    > registered properly...)

    Only two DC:s and they are fine (as far as i know anyway).
  11. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > It looks like there's been a little confusion with your terminology.
    >
    > Startup scripts are different to logon scripts. The script section of the
    > user properties is different again (it's there for backward
    > compatibility -
    > it's a legacy thing).

    I use both and affected computers do not run either of them. Unaffected
    computers run both.

    > Startup scripts are configured through the computer settings of GPO. They
    > only apply to COMPUTER accounts. They run as SYSTEM.
    >
    > Logon scripts are configured through the user settings of GPO. They only
    > apply to USER accounts. They run in the security context of the USER.
    >

    > Now, with that out in the open, I can't tell whether your having issues
    > with
    > Logon scripts or Startup scripts? Are you saying that logon scripts only
    > process on these machines when you logon, logoff and logon again? Are you
    > saying that computer scripts aren't processing?
    >
    > This is what Herb was asking? Which is which? The fact that logon
    > scripts
    > works may help in troubleshooting, but doesn't really tell us much about
    > the
    > startup script problem.

    Se above. I have 90 client computers and aprox 20-30 are affected by the
    problem. On computers having this "error" GPOs/scripts run if i logoff and
    then logon again, but never if I reboot.

    > If startup scripts are the issue, the computer accounts need permissions
    > on
    > the GPO (authenticated users includes computer objects).
    >
    > Anyway, regardless, can you answer some questions?
    >
    > --Are all computers within the scope of this GPO?
    Yes all 90.

    > --Are all user accounts within the scope of this GPO?
    Yes.

    > --Are there multiple GPOs?
    No.

    > --Are some machines/ users configured (within scope) of multiple GPOs?
    No.

    > --Have you run RSoP on the dodgy boxes?
    No not yet. Will probably have a chance to do that very soon.

    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/

  12. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > > It looks like there's been a little confusion with your terminology.
    > >
    > > Startup scripts are different to logon scripts. The script section of
    the
    > > user properties is different again (it's there for backward
    > > compatibility -
    > > it's a legacy thing).
    > >

    > I use both and affected computers do not run either of them. Unaffected
    > computers run both.

    Now that sounds different that what you first said
    but that strongly implies that the computers are
    either:

    1) Not in the domain

    2) Not authenticating

    3) Failing name resolution

    > > Startup scripts are configured through the computer settings of GPO.
    They
    > > only apply to COMPUTER accounts. They run as SYSTEM.
    > >
    > > Logon scripts are configured through the user settings of GPO. They
    only
    > > apply to USER accounts. They run in the security context of the USER.

    > Se above. I have 90 client computers and aprox 20-30 are affected by the
    > problem. On computers having this "error" GPOs/scripts run if i logoff and
    > then logon again, but never if I reboot.

    How about other GPO settings from the SAME
    GPO?

    Do they take effect when the script "fails" to run?

    If not the entire GPO is not being applied which
    is either due to one of those items above or due
    to permissions likely.

    > > If startup scripts are the issue, the computer accounts need permissions
    > > on
    > > the GPO (authenticated users includes computer objects).
    > >
    > > Anyway, regardless, can you answer some questions?
    > >
    > > --Are all computers within the scope of this GPO?
    > Yes all 90.
    >
    > > --Are all user accounts within the scope of this GPO?
    > Yes.
    >
    > > --Are there multiple GPOs?
    > No.
    >
    > > --Are some machines/ users configured (within scope) of multiple GPOs?
    > No.
    >
    > > --Have you run RSoP on the dodgy boxes?
    > No not yet. Will probably have a chance to do that very soon.
    >

    > > --
    > >
    > > Paul Williams
    > >
    > > http://www.msresource.net/
    > > http://forums.msresource.net/

  13. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    In news:nQ1Zd.132380$dP1.471041@newsc.telia.net,
    MED <info@englund-it.se> commented
    Then Kevin replied below:
    > "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >> It looks like there's been a little confusion with your
    >> terminology.
    >>
    >> Startup scripts are different to logon scripts. The
    >> script section of the user properties is different again
    >> (it's there for backward
    >> compatibility -
    >> it's a legacy thing).
    >>

    > I use both and affected computers do not run either of
    > them. Unaffected computers run both.

    Just a thought.
    One more thing you can check, can you open the domain sysvol DFS share from
    the affected clients by the domain name? e.g. \\domain.com\SYSVOL

    If you can't, is the TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper service running and set to
    Automatic? This is a needed service to connect to DFS shares.

    --
    Best regards,
    Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]
    Hope This Helps
    ===================================
    ===================================
    http://www.lonestaramerica.com/
    ===================================
    It will strip signature out and more
    ===================================
    with OEBackup:
    ===================================
  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Hi Herb,

    You have not yet commented my other reply to your post. Think that one may
    lead more forward than this one since the reason for error you mention "Not
    authenticating" is kinda obvious, but the question is why, and why only when
    restarting and not when logging off or logging on?

    > "MED" <info@englund-it.se> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.com> skrev i meddelandet
    > > > It looks like there's been a little confusion with your terminology.
    > > >
    > > > Startup scripts are different to logon scripts. The script section of
    > the
    > > > user properties is different again (it's there for backward
    > > > compatibility -
    > > > it's a legacy thing).
    > > >

    > > I use both and affected computers do not run either of them. Unaffected
    > > computers run both.
    >
    > Now that sounds different that what you first said
    > but that strongly implies that the computers are
    > either:
    >
    > 1) Not in the domain
    >
    > 2) Not authenticating
    >
    > 3) Failing name resolution
    >
    > > > Startup scripts are configured through the computer settings of GPO.
    > They
    > > > only apply to COMPUTER accounts. They run as SYSTEM.
    > > >
    > > > Logon scripts are configured through the user settings of GPO. They
    > only
    > > > apply to USER accounts. They run in the security context of the USER.
    >
    > > Se above. I have 90 client computers and aprox 20-30 are affected by the
    > > problem. On computers having this "error" GPOs/scripts run if i logoff
    and
    > > then logon again, but never if I reboot.
    >
    > How about other GPO settings from the SAME
    > GPO?
    >
    > Do they take effect when the script "fails" to run?
    >
    > If not the entire GPO is not being applied which
    > is either due to one of those items above or due
    > to permissions likely.
    >
    > > > If startup scripts are the issue, the computer accounts need
    permissions
    > > > on
    > > > the GPO (authenticated users includes computer objects).
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, regardless, can you answer some questions?
    > > >
    > > > --Are all computers within the scope of this GPO?
    > > Yes all 90.
    > >
    > > > --Are all user accounts within the scope of this GPO?
    > > Yes.
    > >
    > > > --Are there multiple GPOs?
    > > No.
    > >
    > > > --Are some machines/ users configured (within scope) of multiple GPOs?
    > > No.
    > >
    > > > --Have you run RSoP on the dodgy boxes?
    > > No not yet. Will probably have a chance to do that very soon.
    > >

    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Paul Williams
    > > >
    > > > http://www.msresource.net/
    > > > http://forums.msresource.net/

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > Hi Herb,
    >
    > You have not yet commented my other reply to your post.

    > Think that one may
    > lead more forward than this one since the reason for error you mention
    "Not
    > authenticating" is kinda obvious, but the question is why,

    Usually it's DNS related.

    > and why only when
    > restarting and not when logging off or logging on?

    More important are the answers to the specific
    questions we have asked you.

    Your conflicting reports and imprecise reports don't lend
    to your receiving effective help, so I will repeat:

    How about other GPO settings from the SAME
    GPO?

    Do they take effect when the script "fails" to run?

    If not the entire GPO is not being applied which
    is either due to one of those items above or due
    to permissions likely.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Do you ever see yourself beeing wrong? If you read my links you would see
    that others had this kind of problem and that one can suspect that it's
    related to the way WinXP logon.

    I thank you for your effort (I am really grateful) but thanks to another tip
    I managed to work around the problem and it was _NOT_ permissions or DNS.

    > "MED" <info@englund-it.se> wrote in message
    > > Hi Herb,
    > >
    > > You have not yet commented my other reply to your post.
    >
    > > Think that one may
    > > lead more forward than this one since the reason for error you mention
    > "Not
    > > authenticating" is kinda obvious, but the question is why,
    >
    > Usually it's DNS related.
    >
    > > and why only when
    > > restarting and not when logging off or logging on?
    >
    > More important are the answers to the specific
    > questions we have asked you.
    >
    > Your conflicting reports and imprecise reports don't lend
    > to your receiving effective help, so I will repeat:
    >
    > How about other GPO settings from the SAME
    > GPO?
    >
    > Do they take effect when the script "fails" to run?
    >
    > If not the entire GPO is not being applied which
    > is either due to one of those items above or due
    > to permissions likely.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    What was it then?

    --

    Paul Williams

    http://www.msresource.net/
    http://forums.msresource.net/
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Sorry, missed that.

    Didn't really find a good solution but I enabled "Wait for network before
    logon" in local policy on client computer. Now the message "Preparing
    network connection" takes a while longer but on the other hand a timeout
    later on is gone (when desktop is displayed but waiting for icons).

    Thank you very much for your answers. They are really appreciated!

    "ptwilliams" <ptw2001@hotmail.donotspam.com> wrote in message
    > What was it then?
    >
    > --
    >
    > Paul Williams
    >
    > http://www.msresource.net/
    > http://forums.msresource.net/

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > Sorry, missed that.
    >
    > Didn't really find a good solution but I enabled "Wait for network before
    > logon" in local policy on client computer. Now the message "Preparing
    > network connection" takes a while longer but on the other hand a timeout
    > later on is gone (when desktop is displayed but waiting for icons).
    >
    > Thank you very much for your answers. They are really appreciated!

    So it was an authentication issue.
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    No. NIC-related.

    > "MED" <info@englund-it.se> wrote in message
    > > Sorry, missed that.
    > >
    > > Didn't really find a good solution but I enabled "Wait for network
    before
    > > logon" in local policy on client computer. Now the message "Preparing
    > > network connection" takes a while longer but on the other hand a timeout
    > > later on is gone (when desktop is displayed but waiting for icons).
    > >
    > > Thank you very much for your answers. They are really appreciated!
    >
    > So it was an authentication issue.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > No. NIC-related.

    Which was causing an Authentication problem.
  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    Yes and if you think like that I can answer all problems here with "I don't
    know exactly how to fix it, but I'm sure it's a Windows-problem".

    > "MED" <info@englund-it.se> wrote in message
    >> No. NIC-related.
    >
    > Which was causing an Authentication problem.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    > Yes and if you think like that I can answer all problems here with "I
    don't
    > know exactly how to fix it, but I'm sure it's a Windows-problem".

    Which is what gets you questions about WHAT SPECIFICALLY
    is the case....

    You're real problem was you confused questions and
    vague reports.
  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.win2000.active_directory (More info?)

    I'm sure you are an expert in computerland, but there may be some things in
    life you could learn still (no one is right all the time).

    I'm gonna let this go now. Take care, and thanks again for your effort.

    > "MED" <info@englund-it.se> wrote in message
    >> Yes and if you think like that I can answer all problems here with "I
    > don't
    >> know exactly how to fix it, but I'm sure it's a Windows-problem".
    >
    > Which is what gets you questions about WHAT SPECIFICALLY
    > is the case....
    >
    > You're real problem was you confused questions and
    > vague reports.

Computers Microsoft Active Directory Windows