Print to File?

In WinXP, when I select to print, an options box displays allowing me to
select a printer, set preferences etc., and a tick box for "Print to File".

Does this mean that if I were using a laptop for example and didn't have
access to a printer at a specific time, I could tick "Print to File" box,
and view/print it later, when I'm at home and have access to a printer?

If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I edit
the file?

--
Many Thanks

Enquirer
12 answers Last reply
More about print file

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:53:02 +0000, enquirer wrote:

    > If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I edit
    > the file?

    from a DOS box,

    copy /b file.ext lpt1:

    where lpt1: is the name of the printer device/port

    --
    For sale: extending dining table and dressing table £40 each
    Buyer collects. Details at http://dgmm.net/recycle

    To do this, the printer make and model must be the same, or a generic
    postscript driver used.
    The file would be readable if a generic text printer driver were used.
    When a document or picture is sent(printed) to a file instead of the
    printer, the data is normally in a printer ready format, and will not be
    readabile with a text editor. A hex editor might allow a user to obtain some
    idea of how the file is structured, and what printer control sequences were
    used.

    On Tue, 03 May 2005 05:53:02 GMT, "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net>
    wrote:

    >In WinXP, when I select to print, an options box displays allowing me to
    >select a printer, set preferences etc., and a tick box for "Print to File".
    >
    >Does this mean that if I were using a laptop for example and didn't have
    >access to a printer at a specific time, I could tick "Print to File" box,
    >and view/print it later, when I'm at home and have access to a printer?
    >
    >If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I edit
    >the file?

    The easiest way to do this is install the printer driver on the laptop
    and then set it as print to file. Then any doc you have on the laptop
    can be sent to this "printer". The resulting files can then be used
    on your desktop to print from.

    --

    Hecate - The Real One
    Hecate@newsguy.com

    I am using WinXP so can I make a file association so I can dbl click the
    file.

    Printer is on a USB port.

    --
    Many Thanks

    Enquirer

    "DaveG" <dave-ng@nospam.tld> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:53:02 +0000, enquirer wrote:
    >
    >> If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I
    >> edit
    >> the file?
    >
    > from a DOS box,
    >
    > copy /b file.ext lpt1:
    >
    > where lpt1: is the name of the printer device/port
    >

    > --
    > For sale: extending dining table and dressing table £40 each
    > Buyer collects. Details at http://dgmm.net/recycle
    > email me to make an offer.

    enquirer,

    > Printer is on a USB port.

    you have to share the printer, just like a network printer, then:

    COPY filename.prn \\mypc\printer_shared_name

    Kind regards,
    Davide Guolo
    Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
    http://www.guolo.com/printfil
    Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
    http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > In WinXP, when I select to print, an options box displays allowing me to
    > select a printer, set preferences etc., and a tick box for "Print to File".
    >
    > Does this mean that if I were using a laptop for example and didn't have
    > access to a printer at a specific time, I could tick "Print to File" box, and
    > view/print it later, when I'm at home and have access to a printer?

    The easiest way to handle your situation would be to set the printer to "work
    offline". You can then send things to the printer, and they will be held in
    the queue until you reconnect. XP may do this for you automatically; I have a
    printer at home on a wireless network and occasionally it starts printing when
    I get home and my computer (still in the briefcase) gets in range. If not
    automatically you can click on the printer icon in the toolbar or go to start,
    printers and faxes then right click on the printer and select "use printer
    offline".

    Regards,
    Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging

    O.K. I must be "not so bright" (thick!!)

    Computer name is: bideford mc
    Shared Printer Name is: deskjet3650
    File name is: printtst.prn
    Drive is C:

    From win98 or XP (I have tried on two different machines), I select
    "start>Run>command" to produce a Dos window. I type cd\ and press "enter"
    (return) key to go back to root directory. I then type (exactly as the next
    line, but no blue or underlined)
    COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650

    I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I doing
    wrong?

    --
    Many Thanks

    Enquirer

    enquirer wrote:

    >O.K. I must be "not so bright" (thick!!)
    >
    >Computer name is: bideford mc
    >Shared Printer Name is: deskjet3650
    >File name is: printtst.prn
    >Drive is C:
    >
    >From win98 or XP (I have tried on two different machines), I select
    >"start>Run>command" to produce a Dos window. I type cd\ and press "enter"
    >(return) key to go back to root directory. I then type (exactly as the next
    >line, but no blue or underlined)
    >COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650
    >
    >I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I doing
    >wrong?

    Try this:

    COPY printst.prn \\bideford\mc\deskjet3650

    Notice the _ was replaced by a \ after bideford

    Let ne know if it works.

    On 2005-05-05, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:

    > COPY printst.prn \\bideford\mc\deskjet3650

    Don't you want a "/b" in the copy in case it has an embedded
    CTRL-Z which, in text files, would indicate the end of the
    file and might truncate the copy?

    > COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650
    >
    > I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I
    > doing wrong?

    If your machine name has really got a space in it's name then I imagine COPY
    is looking for a machine named \\bideford, the space acts as a command line
    delimiter.

    I don't know if it will work but try putting quotes around it.

    COPY printst.prn "\\bideford_mc\deskjet3650"

    --
    Ian

    Use the Reply-To address to contact me.

    "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    > O.K. I must be "not so bright" (thick!!)
    >
    > Computer name is: bideford mc
    > Shared Printer Name is: deskjet3650
    > File name is: printtst.prn
    > Drive is C:
    >
    > From win98 or XP (I have tried on two different machines), I select
    > "start>Run>command" to produce a Dos window. I type cd\ and press "enter"
    > (return) key to go back to root directory. I then type (exactly as the
    > next line, but no blue or underlined)
    > COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650
    >
    > I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I
    > doing wrong?
    >

    > --
    > Many Thanks
    >
    > Enquirer
    >
    > "Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote in message

    Why not just open explorer and drag and drop the file onto the printer?

    Mark

    Change the computer name to bidefordmc

    Mark wrote:

    >"enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
    >

    >>O.K. I must be "not so bright" (thick!!)
    >>
    >>Computer name is: bideford mc
    >>Shared Printer Name is: deskjet3650
    >>File name is: printtst.prn
    >>Drive is C:
    >>
    >>From win98 or XP (I have tried on two different machines), I select
    >>"start>Run>command" to produce a Dos window. I type cd\ and press "enter"
    >>(return) key to go back to root directory. I then type (exactly as the
    >>next line, but no blue or underlined)
    >>COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650
    >>
    >>I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I
    >>doing wrong?
    >>

    >>--
    >>Many Thanks
    >>
    >>Enquirer
    >>
    >>"Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote in message
    >>

    >Why not just open explorer and drag and drop the file onto the printer?
    >
    >Mark

Printers Peripherals