Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Print to File?

Last response: in Computer Peripherals
Share
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 9:53:02 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

In WinXP, when I select to print, an options box displays allowing me to
select a printer, set preferences etc., and a tick box for "Print to File".

Does this mean that if I were using a laptop for example and didn't have
access to a printer at a specific time, I could tick "Print to File" box,
and view/print it later, when I'm at home and have access to a printer?

If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I edit
the file?

--
Many Thanks

Enquirer

More about : print file

Anonymous
May 3, 2005 12:43:29 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:53:02 +0000, enquirer wrote:

> If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I edit
> the file?

from a DOS box,

copy /b file.ext lpt1:

where lpt1: is the name of the printer device/port


--
For sale: extending dining table and dressing table £40 each
Buyer collects. Details at http://dgmm.net/recycle
email me to make an offer.
May 3, 2005 9:45:11 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

To do this, the printer make and model must be the same, or a generic
postscript driver used.
The file would be readable if a generic text printer driver were used.
When a document or picture is sent(printed) to a file instead of the
printer, the data is normally in a printer ready format, and will not be
readabile with a text editor. A hex editor might allow a user to obtain some
idea of how the file is structured, and what printer control sequences were
used.

"enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:2lEde.22908$p06.2767@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> In WinXP, when I select to print, an options box displays allowing me to
> select a printer, set preferences etc., and a tick box for "Print to
> File".
>
> Does this mean that if I were using a laptop for example and didn't have
> access to a printer at a specific time, I could tick "Print to File" box,
> and view/print it later, when I'm at home and have access to a printer?
>
> If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I
> edit the file?
>
> --
> Many Thanks
>
> Enquirer
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:32:06 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On Tue, 03 May 2005 05:53:02 GMT, "enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net>
wrote:

>In WinXP, when I select to print, an options box displays allowing me to
>select a printer, set preferences etc., and a tick box for "Print to File".
>
>Does this mean that if I were using a laptop for example and didn't have
>access to a printer at a specific time, I could tick "Print to File" box,
>and view/print it later, when I'm at home and have access to a printer?
>
>If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I edit
>the file?

The easiest way to do this is install the printer driver on the laptop
and then set it as print to file. Then any doc you have on the laptop
can be sent to this "printer". The resulting files can then be used
on your desktop to print from.

--

Hecate - The Real One
Hecate@newsguy.com
Fashion: Buying things you don't need, with money
you don't have, to impress people you don't like...
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 3:30:20 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

I am using WinXP so can I make a file association so I can dbl click the
file.

Printer is on a USB port.

--
Many Thanks

Enquirer

"DaveG" <dave-ng@nospam.tld> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.05.03.08.43.31.854554@nospam.tld...
> On Tue, 03 May 2005 06:53:02 +0000, enquirer wrote:
>
>> If so, how do I do I view/print the file? Do I need new software? Can I
>> edit
>> the file?
>
> from a DOS box,
>
> copy /b file.ext lpt1:
>
> where lpt1: is the name of the printer device/port
>
>
> --
> For sale: extending dining table and dressing table £40 each
> Buyer collects. Details at http://dgmm.net/recycle
> email me to make an offer.
>
Anonymous
May 4, 2005 8:53:28 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

enquirer,

> Printer is on a USB port.

you have to share the printer, just like a network printer, then:

COPY filename.prn \\mypc\printer_shared_name

Kind regards,
Davide Guolo
--------------------------------------------------------------
Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
http://www.guolo.com/printfil
Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all
--------------------------------------------------------------
Anonymous
May 5, 2005 12:40:12 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:2lEde.22908$p06.2767@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net...
> In WinXP, when I select to print, an options box displays allowing me to
> select a printer, set preferences etc., and a tick box for "Print to File".
>
> Does this mean that if I were using a laptop for example and didn't have
> access to a printer at a specific time, I could tick "Print to File" box, and
> view/print it later, when I'm at home and have access to a printer?

The easiest way to handle your situation would be to set the printer to "work
offline". You can then send things to the printer, and they will be held in
the queue until you reconnect. XP may do this for you automatically; I have a
printer at home on a wireless network and occasionally it starts printing when
I get home and my computer (still in the briefcase) gets in range. If not
automatically you can click on the printer icon in the toolbar or go to start,
printers and faxes then right click on the printer and select "use printer
offline".

Regards,
Bob Headrick, MS MVP Printing/Imaging
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 1:37:55 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

O.K. I must be "not so bright" (thick!!)

Computer name is: bideford mc
Shared Printer Name is: deskjet3650
File name is: printtst.prn
Drive is C:

From win98 or XP (I have tried on two different machines), I select
"start>Run>command" to produce a Dos window. I type cd\ and press "enter"
(return) key to go back to root directory. I then type (exactly as the next
line, but no blue or underlined)
COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650

I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I doing
wrong?


--
Many Thanks

Enquirer

"Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote in message
news:c67ee.99499$zZ1.2802772@twister1.libero.it...
> enquirer,
>
>> Printer is on a USB port.
>
> you have to share the printer, just like a network printer, then:
>
> COPY filename.prn \\mypc\printer_shared_name
>
> Kind regards,
> Davide Guolo
> --------------------------------------------------------------
> Printfil - Windows Printing System for Applications
> http://www.guolo.com/printfil
> Odbc4All - Connection to ODBC Data Sources for any Application
> http://www.guolo.com/odbc4all
> --------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 1:53:09 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

enquirer wrote:

>O.K. I must be "not so bright" (thick!!)
>
>Computer name is: bideford mc
>Shared Printer Name is: deskjet3650
>File name is: printtst.prn
>Drive is C:
>
>From win98 or XP (I have tried on two different machines), I select
>"start>Run>command" to produce a Dos window. I type cd\ and press "enter"
>(return) key to go back to root directory. I then type (exactly as the next
>line, but no blue or underlined)
>COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650
>
>I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I doing
>wrong?
>
>

Try this:

COPY printst.prn \\bideford\mc\deskjet3650

Notice the _ was replaced by a \ after bideford

Let ne know if it works.



>
>
>
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 3:53:47 AM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

On 2005-05-05, measekite <measekite@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> COPY printst.prn \\bideford\mc\deskjet3650

Don't you want a "/b" in the copy in case it has an embedded
CTRL-Z which, in text files, would indicate the end of the
file and might truncate the copy?
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 12:26:07 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:Tmwee.18021$WW5.8031@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...

> COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650
>
> I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I
> doing wrong?

If your machine name has really got a space in it's name then I imagine COPY
is looking for a machine named \\bideford, the space acts as a command line
delimiter.

I don't know if it will work but try putting quotes around it.

COPY printst.prn "\\bideford_mc\deskjet3650"

--
Ian

Use the Reply-To address to contact me.
Mail sent to the From address is ignored.
May 6, 2005 4:18:48 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

"enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
news:Tmwee.18021$WW5.8031@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
> O.K. I must be "not so bright" (thick!!)
>
> Computer name is: bideford mc
> Shared Printer Name is: deskjet3650
> File name is: printtst.prn
> Drive is C:
>
> From win98 or XP (I have tried on two different machines), I select
> "start>Run>command" to produce a Dos window. I type cd\ and press "enter"
> (return) key to go back to root directory. I then type (exactly as the
> next line, but no blue or underlined)
> COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650
>
> I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I
> doing wrong?
>
>
> --
> Many Thanks
>
> Enquirer
>
> "Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote in message
> news:c67ee.99499$zZ1.2802772@twister1.libero.it...

Why not just open explorer and drag and drop the file onto the printer?

Mark
Anonymous
May 6, 2005 9:58:39 PM

Archived from groups: comp.periphs.printers (More info?)

Change the computer name to bidefordmc

Mark wrote:

>"enquirer" <enquirer.com@virgin.net> wrote in message
>news:Tmwee.18021$WW5.8031@newsfe2-win.ntli.net...
>
>
>>O.K. I must be "not so bright" (thick!!)
>>
>>Computer name is: bideford mc
>>Shared Printer Name is: deskjet3650
>>File name is: printtst.prn
>>Drive is C:
>>
>>From win98 or XP (I have tried on two different machines), I select
>>"start>Run>command" to produce a Dos window. I type cd\ and press "enter"
>>(return) key to go back to root directory. I then type (exactly as the
>>next line, but no blue or underlined)
>>COPY printst.prn \\bideford_mc\deskjet3650
>>
>>I get message like "invalid file name" or "file not found". What am I
>>doing wrong?
>>
>>
>>--
>>Many Thanks
>>
>>Enquirer
>>
>>"Davide Guolo" <guolo.NOSPAM.davide@libero.it> wrote in message
>>news:c67ee.99499$zZ1.2802772@twister1.libero.it...
>>
>>
>
>Why not just open explorer and drag and drop the file onto the printer?
>
>Mark
>
>
>
>
!