Best on-line guide for building a pc???

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Hi, suggestions, please, for the best on-line guide (free or otherwise) to building your own pc.
There are quite a few guides and I was just wondering which guide this forum would recommend for a complete novice.
Thanks in anticipation
b14desman

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Many thanks for all the replies. I'll start with the Corsair guide and work my way through them. I think the worst bit's going to be deciding which components to choose. I've already spec'd a D 805 build and decided to have a rethink whilst waiting for the predicted price drops at the end of July. Think i'll spec up a D 930 build and perhaps an AMD alternative.
cheers
b14desman

Akifuddin

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2006
Many thanks for all the replies. I'll start with the Corsair guide and work my way through them. I think the worst bit's going to be deciding which components to choose. I've already spec'd a D 805 build and decided to have a rethink whilst waiting for the predicted price drops at the end of July. Think i'll spec up a D 930 build and perhaps an AMD alternative.
cheers
b14desman
Why not a E6300 build? :p

E6300
7600GT or 7900GT
2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2-667 or DDR2-800 OCZ Gold or Corsair XMS RAM
Cheap non-SLi mobo that supports Kentsfield processors
At least Antec SmartPower 2.0 500W Power Supply

It's a nice build I'd say :D The Corsair guide was nice, it felt like building computers and tweaking it is fun! :lol: I'm sure it is, I've never built one before.

b14desman

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2006
Thanks for the replies. The Corsair guide is very good and I've just located one from Gigabyte that I intend to read tonight. Eventually I'll get through them all and mix and match the best bits.
cheers
b14desman

Patfett

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Thanks for the pointers. I'm in the same boat attempting my 1st build. Though I feel confident since I've tinkered with my systems for years. The only concern I have is actually installing the cpu and setting up bios. I've read a few guides and the bios setup sounds confusing.

Patfett

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
Read that Corsair guide it's bios explanation made a little more sense with the visual aids. Heck after reading that I'm thinking of trying my hand at overclocking the cpu.

Though a detailed bios set up guide would be helpfull. Just want to make sure I don't blow up on my first build. :p

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I always read the on-line manual for the motherboard and case I'm thinking about buying. When you finally get to the build, these will be what you'll be using during the actual install.

xslimmiejimmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2005
read your manuals for everything + ask us on here! usually it explains everything in BIOS.

BIOS is easy, everything may seem extremely overwhelming, but life would be too easy and boring if everything was easy/simple.

your best bet is to look through these and other forums (THG/ anandtech/etc...) maximumpc came out with manuals and so did other websites, too. usually all products you buy come with manuals. if you get stuck or scared, ask on here, no harm in that.

the only thing you gotta do in BIOS when you build is set the hard drives and what to boot with (CD-ROM, or floppy). when you're in the BIOS menu go to where the "boot" is and select your CD-ROM (for installing Windows CD). just make sure you got a CD-ROM installed, lol.

It's all just like lego's, putting it all together and such (except read and re-read everything carefully!)

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I use the following sequence with a new build.

1st. Determine your budget, unless you have unlimited resources because there will always be trade offs. (If you have unlimited resources, please generously donate to the g-paw relief fund :D )

2nd Decide on the CPU, this dictates the MOBO and memory. This site has an excellent CPU guide, although you’ll have to wait for the update if you’re thinking of Conroe. When looking at the chart, focus on the tests involving what you will be doing, e.g., I’m most interested in video editing because that the my most resource intensive use. If your planning on over clocking, this will be important, if not, you can pretty much ignore this in reviews. It’s a good idea to look at 2 CPUs, e.g., the Intel 930 and 940, which one you chose will likely be dictated by your budget.

3rd. Once you decide on the CPU, at least the chipset, decide on the motherboard. I always use newegg.com Power Search limiting the search to chipset of the CPU. Decide what on-board features you want, e.g., if you’ll be capturing from a camcorder, you’ll want firewire or if you into heavier gaming, you likely want to look at Crossfire and SLI mobo. After you narrow your choice of mobo, check out reviews. This site and extremetech.com have could unbiased reviews and I’m sure there are others.

4th. Once you decide on the mobo, decide on the memory. Most memory manufacturers will let you search by your mobo (mfg and model) to see what memory will work. Today, I think you need a minimum of 1GB of memory.

5th decide on the video card, again choosing 2 or 3, your choice should be dictated by how you’ll use the machine, e.g., since I don’t play games, I look at lower end cards. If you’re a gamer, you likely would want to put more into the video and less in the CPU to stay in budget. Using the above, go with the 930 rather than the 940.

6th Decide on the hard drive. The higher the capacity, the more expensive it’s likely to be. Also deiced if you want one of two hdd and if you want to put more into a Raptor.

7th Decide on the audio card. Most on-board audio is pretty decent so this is a good area to save some money.

The reason I put the hdd and sound card last is that they are the easiest to upgrade when you have can afford to upgrade.

In buying parts, I think it’s best to go up one or two levels than what you need right now but don’t over buy. E.g., if you never plan on using dual video cards, don’t pay extra for this feature on a mobo. Don’t buy more video card than you’ll need. Remember, you’re building the machine so you’ll have no problem upgrading anything in the future.

When reading reviews or suggestions on sites like this, always judge them in terms of how you’ll use the machine. E.g., if someone suggests a mobo or CPU that’s good for over clocking and you don’t plan to over clock, give less weight to that review/suggestion. It’s not that they’re necessarily wrong, it’s just not relevant for you.

Keep in mind you should never have to use a hammer when building a computer. If something isn’t connecting or slotting in, you likely have it going in the wrong direction.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
would dvd/rw count as a cd rom drive? thx for the info.

Yes and you can get a good one, e.g., NEC or Lite-On for about $35. I have an NEC DVD Burner and have never had a problem with burning CD or DVDs and I use cheap media.

Patfett

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2006
I'll add a second thanks. All the advise on this board is tremendous.

That Mobo manual tip is very helpful. Never would have thought of it.

I'm waiting for august for Conroe to come out and AMD prices to drop to see how I can get more bang for my buck.

I do have some experience in upgrading. I've done everything from memory,graphics, sound, and had to replace my PSU. Even helped family memebers install cd drives.

Thanks again for everyone's help.

Vinny

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2004
Great info guys.

I'll be building an AM2 system or a Core 2 system (depending on budget) and there's plenty of great info in this thread.

The BIOS is the only thing that has me scared... not the parts about where to boot from or how to disable somethings, but the parts where (in the Corsair guide) they change the timings for the memory, upped the volt from 2.6 to 2.7 for the memory, or put 5x as the HT frequency. I'm guessing you can find the timings easily from the memory packagin, but how did the guy know about what voltage to use on the memory or what HT frequency to use? :?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Two things I neglected to mention was the optical drive and floppy. You can get a good DVD +/- RW for around $35 to $40. A floppy is $7 or $8. I think the floppy is iimportant because when all else fails in a recovery effort or BIOS update you end up using a floppy.