DNS not pushing to additional domain controller.

bj

Hope this is the right group. We upgraded via in-place an NT4.0 to Server
2003 DC. DNS seems ok. Added a brand new Win2K DC and only the reverse
lookup zones propagated. the forward lookup zone did not propagate. Both
zones are AD integrated. Replication works ok per the AD Sites & Services.
Any hints? I would up making the W2K DNS a secondary zone and am not a big
fan. Thanks in advance! \

BJ

In ADU&C, click the View drop-down menu and choose advanced.

Now, in the tree view, drill down to System\ MicrosoftDNS and see if the DC
has actually replicated the DNS zones.

If it has, remove the secondary zone, ensure that the DNS server is
configured to load from the AD and Registry (it should be if it's got the
R-lookup) and restart the DNS Server service.

--

Paul Williams

http://www.msresource.net/
http://forums.msresource.net/

"BJ" <lmelogra@optonline.net> wrote in message
> Hope this is the right group. We upgraded via in-place an NT4.0 to Server
> 2003 DC. DNS seems ok. Added a brand new Win2K DC and only the reverse
> lookup zones propagated. the forward lookup zone did not propagate.

Propagated to where? What type of zone is
on the problem machine?

Most actual replication problems are DNS problems.

> Both
> zones are AD integrated. Replication works ok per the AD Sites & Services.

AD Sites and Services give very little information
about whether "replication works" -- it is where you
set the conditions for replication.

Use DCDiag, ReplMon, and RepAdmin to check replication.

> Any hints? I would up making the W2K DNS a secondary zone and am not a big
> fan. Thanks in advance! \

IF W2K is replicating then it contains the information
UNLESS you chose (on Win2003) to replicate ONLY
to DNS-DCs or some similar setting AND the Win2000
is not a DNS server.

In other words, if you store it in the (same) AD and it
replicates then it is replicated.

There are times however where a replicated DC-DNS
server will not autocreate a zone.

[First give it time to replicte -- force replication etc.]
Create the zone as a secondary, manually force zone
transfer, then convert it also to AD integrated -- this
guarantees it will have the same info FIRST.

In news:uHzi3dEKFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl,
BJ <lmelogra@optonline.net> commented
Then Kevin replied below:
> Hope this is the right group. We upgraded via in-place an
> NT4.0 to Server 2003 DC. DNS seems ok. Added a brand
> new Win2K DC and only the reverse lookup zones
> propagated. the forward lookup zone did not propagate.
> Both zones are AD integrated. Replication works ok per
> the AD Sites & Services. Any hints? I would up making the
> W2K DNS a secondary zone and am not a big fan. Thanks in
> advance! \
>
> BJ

Check the zone replication settings, Win2k3 supports multiple replication
boundaries that Win2k does not. On the zone properties, General tab,
replication button, Win2k only supports replicate to all Domain Controllers
in the Active Directory domain. If the zone is set to replicate to all
Domain Controllers in the Active Directory forest or to all DNS servers in
the Active Directory forest the zones will not replicate to Win2k. Change to
All Domain controllers in the Active Directory Domain and wait for
replication. Do not try to create the zones on the Win2k, This will cause a
zone conflict because the zone will exist in two replication partitions on
the Win2k3 DC.

Oh, one more thing, before you change the replication settings, delete the
secondary zone, that will cause a zone conflict, too.

--
Best regards,
Kevin D4 Dad Goodknecht Sr. [MVP]

bj